PDA

View Full Version : Another possible reason why Federer smashed his racquet

BreakPoint
04-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I think another possible reason why Federer smashed his racquet during his match in Miami against Djokovic was that in hitting that easy short forehand into the net may have reminded him of a similar short forehand that he netted on match point against Nadal at Wimbledon '08 which cost him dearly and the loss of his beloved Wimbledon crown as well as forever ending his hopes of breaking Borg's record by winning an unbreakable 6th consecutive Wimbledon.

I think bringing back that awful memory just pushed him over the edge and he finally had to let out all his frustration.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_o9mjjc-c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9X48FqmoJI

Jchurch
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
That explanation actually makes quite a bit of sense.

tudwell
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I think his racquet was talking smack. He had to put it in its place.

BreakPoint
04-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I think he really felt like he wanted to smash his racquet when he lost at Wimbledon, but of course he couldn't do it then on Centre Court in front of the royal box and Bjorn Borg and everything, and his reputation would have gone down the toilet in an instant. So he held it in all of these months and when that short forehand went into the net, all those bad memories of that Wimbledon loss came back into his head which spelled the beginning of the end for him so he could no longer hold it in any more and finally lost control.

OTMPut
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
A bit like the economists! Once they have the facts, they always weave a compelling story to explain them.

nhat8121
04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
i believe he thinks, damn it, easy forehand into the net below the tape, smash the racquet...in an intense match, who the hell thinks about some stupid crap point way back, i mean, really?

BreakPoint
04-05-2009, 11:00 PM
i believe he thinks, damn it, easy forehand into the net below the tape, smash the racquet...in an intense match, who the hell thinks about some stupid crap point way back, i mean, really?
"Stupid crap point"? That match point at Wimbledon could possibly have been the most important point in his life. Especially if he never wins another Grand Slam and never breaks Sampras' record. I wouldn't be surprised if he has nightmares replaying that match point in his head all the time.

dextor
04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I think he really felt like he wanted to smash his racquet when he lost at Wimbledon, but of course he couldn't do it then on Centre Court in front of the royal box and Bjorn Borg and everything, and his reputation would have gone down the toilet in an instant. So he held it in all of these months and when that short forehand went into the net, all those bad memories of that Wimbledon loss came back into his head which spelled the beginning of the end for him so he could no longer hold it in any more and finally lost control.

Probably wouldn't have broke on grass. He needed to obliterate that thing on something hard.

nhat8121
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
the time b/t the unforced error and the smash is less than a second...what was in his head you think?

BreakPoint
04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
the time b/t the unforced error and the smash is less than a second...what was in his head you think?
The time between the missed shot and smashing the racquet was actually 2 seconds. He misses the shot at 0:18 and smashes his racquet at 0:20 in that video clip above.

In any case, you only need a split-second to have a flashback.

A555un
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I've never actually smashed a racquet myself, so I can't really tell. But I think he probably thought he needed to punch something or throw something...That happens to me. And maybe he thought about it, and then decided that "hells yea I'm gonna destroy my racquet!"

Josherer
04-06-2009, 01:57 AM
He did it just becuase he kept missing routine shots.

origmarm
04-06-2009, 02:15 AM
It's an interesting theory. I've been thinking about this for a while now. It seems that losing recently in Slam finals to Nadal, he has had no outlet for the anger and frustration he must have felt. I feel like he's bottled it all up and it's affecting his game. Perhaps he needs to have a bit of a rage moment and just let it all out.

Still given that I don't know Fed and know little about him this is all pure speculation on my part. I think perhaps this is how I would feel and as such I'm projecting it on to him. It does look eerily similar to that point at Wimbledon though.

thundaga
04-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Nice theory, those 21,423 posts must teach you something.

I think it's good that he's vented some anger on court. And he really annihilated that racquet... Safin would've been proud of that effort!

Richie Rich
04-06-2009, 05:04 AM
sure thing, BP. only 1 person knows the real reason.

janipyt05
04-06-2009, 05:11 AM
man when i heard Fed smashed his racquet i thought it was some small hitting of the racquet but he really did out his back into that smash, bless he was mad, people get upset so that's how he vented

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 06:08 AM
haha, why the hell would he think back to that and smash it because he "couldnt at wimbledon" although he apparently wanted to? what a ridiculous theory, you must be bored out your skull break point.

thanks for the laugh though.

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 06:09 AM

haha i know!

Puma
04-06-2009, 06:14 AM
BP, you may be right. It is obviously a result of continued frustration of his game leaving him at just the wrong time. He has made a career of "changing gears" at just the right moment. But just think, what happens when you fail to execute. You earn the short ball and then miss it. This is amatuer level misses and he knows it. Earning the chances and blowing them. Its like needing to birdie the last two to make the cut and you hit it inside 6 feet both times and miss. Wow, that will get a putter broke more than anything else.

I think this is exactly what is going on in his head. He knows he can beat these guys, heck he earns the short ball all the time. But, when he misses or gets passed it really effects his confidence.

Puma
04-06-2009, 06:24 AM
haha, why the hell would he think back to that and smash it because he "couldnt at wimbledon" although he apparently wanted to? what a ridiculous theory, you must be bored out your skull break point.

thanks for the laugh though.

You miss the point. Feds game is built upon earning the short ball. He used to S/V often. But his game has transformed into a baseline game where one of two things are going to happen in his mind. One, he hits the winner. Two, he forces a short ball. On the short ball it is a matter of executioning the put away. Its an easy ball. Not a passing shot going 70 mph!

I don't necessarily believe it was THE shot at wimby, but its a trend he feels. If he can't execute on the earned easy balls he knows he is cooked.

His interview after the match was very telling. He was VERY frustrated, and you could tell it was a culmination of times past.

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
You miss the point. Feds game is built upon earning the short ball. He used to S/V often. But his game has transformed into a baseline game where one of two things are going to happen in his mind. One, he hits the winner. Two, he forces a short ball. On the short ball it is a matter of executioning the put away. Its an easy ball. Not a passing shot going 70 mph!

I don't necessarily believe it was THE shot at wimby, but its a trend he feels. If he can't execute on the earned easy balls he knows he is cooked.

His interview after the match was very telling. He was VERY frustrated, and you could tell it was a culmination of times past.

The point I am saying is that.....HE MISSED A SHOT AND GOT ANGRY....

You guys read waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into this it's unreal...hahaha

pc1
04-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I just would go with the obvious, he was mad at himself and smashed the racket.

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 06:45 AM
"Stupid crap point"? That match point at Wimbledon could possibly have been the most important point in his life. Especially if he never wins another Grand Slam and never breaks Sampras' record. I wouldn't be surprised if he has nightmares replaying that match point in his head all the time.

False.

Yes it absolutely was important to him and it was a tremendous loss and blow to his morale. However, he won USO later that year. Not a deal-breaker apparently. Only fortified a mental block against Nadal.

obnoxious2
04-06-2009, 06:59 AM
A bit like the economists! Once they have the facts, they always weave a compelling story to explain them.

Hindsight is 20/20 lol.

Motherwasp
04-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Almost a carbon copy forehand! Interesting comparing the two but i think he was just so enfuriated at netting a ball that he can normally put away with ease.

sureshs
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
I think another possible reason why Federer smashed his racquet during his match in Miami against Djokovic was that in hitting that easy short forehand into the net may have reminded him of a similar short forehand that he netted on match point against Nadal at Wimbledon '08 which cost him dearly and the loss of his beloved Wimbledon crown as well as forever ending his hopes of breaking Borg's record by winning an unbreakable 6th consecutive Wimbledon.

I think bringing back that awful memory just pushed him over the edge and he finally had to let out all his frustration.

I have a different theory. I think this is Fed's new strategy of lowering public expectations about himself. Show himself as human, and drop hints that if he wanted to, he could win everything, but he loses concentration because of Mirka and the baby.

BorisBeckerFan
04-06-2009, 07:31 AM
At that particular moment I almost wanted to break one of my own racquets. The level of play was so bad from both sides.

AprilFool
04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
He did it just becuase he kept missing routine shots.

Exactly. The one that stands out for me was being at the net with plenty of time and hitting the ball long. That was just ugly.

Phil
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Take a look:

Wait...you're not blaming this on his "mono"???

Benefactor
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM

He seemed to rebound from that pretty well at the US Open.

P_Agony
04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Forget about the match point. I keep thinking about the break point at 4-3 in the 5th. If only Federer had converted that one, I believe he'd be Wimbeldon champion today. Of course, asking Federer to convert break points these days is too much.

sureshs
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Only mono Fed's got is monomania :-)

random guy
04-06-2009, 09:48 AM
The time between the missed shot and smashing the racquet was actually 2 seconds. He misses the shot at 0:18 and smashes his racquet at 0:20 in that video clip above.

In any case, you only need a split-second to have a flashback.

I think you've seen one too many Lost episodes :)

fastdunn
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Take a look:

That's interesting since I always thought Federer does not have such a big confidence in hitting short flat forehand. He tends to give lots of topspin for short forehand finishers (to avoid hitting short flat ones). That was more prominent in his early days. That made me think he had basic clay courters framework in his game when I first saw him playing around 2000.

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 11:00 AM
False.

Yes it absolutely was important to him and it was a tremendous loss and blow to his morale. However, he won USO later that year. Not a deal-breaker apparently. Only fortified a mental block against Nadal.
What does winning the US Open have to do with never breaking Borg's 5 straight Wimbledon record and the loss of his beloved Wimbledon champion's crown? He was the King and he was dethroned - cardigan, blazer, slacks, and all. That's extremely hard for him to face. That has got to be the most devastating moment in his career. Don't forget that he places Wimbledon WAY above any other tennis tournament.

Hope
04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
You have to admit Roger is the only player who can look elegant smashing a racket! I think it's time he did that. I believe the horrors of the past year came to him and I believe from now on we'll see the old Roger Federer.
Yes Wimbledon came back, so did Toronto, Cincinnatti, Madrid, the Masters and Aussie Open. And of course Indian Wells all in that one action.

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Mono started the beginning of the end for him. He has never been the same player after getting mono. It's obvious for everyone to see. I think mono effectively ended his career, as it did to Ancic. Now Federer is just hanging on.

I think if Federer had never contracted mono, his results would have been very different for the past 15 months. Look, he went from winning Grand Slams and Masters Series and Master's Cup events like they were going out of style before mono to winning only one Grand Slam and NO Masters Series nor Master's Cup AT ALL after mono. How can anyone say there's no correlation?

Lion King
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Mono started the beginning of the end for him. He has never been the same player after getting mono. It's obvious for everyone to see. I think mono effectively ended his career, as it did to Ancic. Now Federer is just hanging on.

I think if Federer had never contracted mono, his results would have been very different for the past 15 months. Look, he went from winning Grand Slams and Masters Series and Master's Cup events like they were going out of style before mono to winning only one Grand Slam and NO Masters Series nor Master's Cup AT ALL after mono. How can anyone say there's no correlation?

To have a correlation, you need a sample of size N. If N = 1, you have a single case, an anecdote. You can theorize all you want, but you can't speak about correlations. So yeah, I say there is no correlation, only a possibility.

Ocean Drive
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
He misses shots in EVERY match. Why hasn't he smashed his racquet in EVERY match after missing EVERY shot?

Because this missed shot was a culmination of all the shots he's missed in the past year during his downward slide, but ESPECIALLY of that match point at Wimbledon, which is the most costly shot he's ever missed and one which he will remember for the rest of his life, because they were so similar - an easy short forehand crosscourt approach shot that he hits into the net.

because he has been playing crap and losing lately and has been a shadow of his former self the past year or so?

HE IS NOT HAPPY

skip1969
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
lol. this thread is hilarious.

if fed had thrown all his shirts, wristbands, racquets . . . . everything he had in his bag, into the stands as he walked off the court, someone on here would be hypothesizing that he was on his way to bear cut bridge to jump off.

Morrissey
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
He broke his racquet because he played like absolute ****.

Oh wait, that makes too much sense to be the reason why right?

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
To have a correlation, you need a sample of size N. If N = 1, you have a single case, an anecdote. You can theorize all you want, but you can't speak about correlations. So yeah, I say there is no correlation, only a possibility.
I also cited Ancic as another example.

You don't go from playing amazing tennis to playing crappy tennis after a physically debilitating illness and say that illness had nothing to do with it.

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
What does winning the US Open have to do with never breaking Borg's 5 straight Wimbledon record and the loss of his beloved Wimbledon champion's crown? He was the King and he was dethroned - cardigan, blazer, slacks, and all. That's extremely hard for him to face. That has got to be the most devastating moment in his career. Don't forget that he places Wimbledon WAY above any other tennis tournament.

He seems to be putting quite a stock into chasing the 14 Slams now. I'm not trying to undermine the significance of Wimbledon to him, but rather I'm pointing out that it was not the end of the world for him. I don't see it as something he gets haunted by in the middle of a deciding set of a Masters event...maybe if it was at Wimbledon again, sure.

You don't go from playing amazing tennis to playing crappy tennis after a physically debilitating illness and say that illness had nothing to do with it.

Who says he's playing crappy? He's still playing better than 99% of the field out there; reaching QFs & SFs consistently is not the sign of a crappy player.

AprilFool
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
He broke his racquet because he played like absolute ****.

Oh wait, that makes too much sense to be the reason why right?

LOL. But then there would be nothing to argue about, no?:-?

PimpMyGame
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I think the racket break was more to do with overall pressures than the flashback to 1 point. Clearly the point BP refers to may well go down in history, but look at the facts.

First he got mono then lost his Wimby title followed soon after by losing his #1 position. Now he has a gaggle of players after him and suddenly everyone has worked out how to play him, aided by his lack of confidence and form.

Finally, he's going to be a dad for the first time. I remember what that was like, I was scared witless. If I was playing tennis at that time in my life I would have burned any rackets that didn't break.

Interesting theory but reasons for the breakage were more of a culmination of things happening to him that he feels he has no control over, IMHO.

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Who says he's playing crappy? He's still playing better than 99% of the field out there; reaching QFs & SFs consistently is not the sign of a crappy player.
"Crappy" by Federer's standards. When your standard is winning 3 Grand Slams and 5 Master's Series and the Master's Cup every year, then anything less is "crappy" (in this case, MUCH less). It's all relative.

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
"Crappy" by Federer's standards. When your standard is winning 3 Grand Slams and 5 Master's Series and the Master's Cup every year, then anything less is "crappy" (in this case, MUCH less). It's all relative.

So why no racquet smashes last year? He didn't have any results to brag about until USO.

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh and after closely looking at the two clips you linked (I was going by memory), it looks like the Wimby shot was more a routine rally shot whereas the Djoko match shot was an aggressive approach/winning shot. For one thing, at Wimby Fed was just barely on the baseline having leapt in on a mediocre shot by Nadal that wasn't very deep, and at Miami he was well inside the baseline (approaching service line) when hitting that.

Tennis_Bum
04-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Take a look:

No, I don't think so. Doesn't mean it may not be true. But I think Fed just played horribly and just had to let out his frustration. It was ready to go, so any bad points would have driven him to smash his racket. It just happened to be a similar shot. I don't think Fed thought about what you speculated at that moment in time but then again we will never know.

But I am happy that he at least showed some strong emotion for once. At least I am hoping that he is saying to himself that he's sick of playing crappy tennis and sick of all the crappy results that he had in 2009, by his standards. Hey I hope the guy gets back to the drawing board and retool his game so that he could be more competitive by committing fewer errors, be more patient when the conditions is poor, and focusing on the match.

Fed was certainly not the problem solver that I was accustomed to watching before. He was just plain pathetic. I hope he's sick of being pathetic and really gives his game a kick in the ***** to get it going.

For me to read that Fed was glad the hardcourt season is over so that he can look forward to clay is not a good sign for Fed's game. I just have a bad feeling about his game, physically and mentally. I hope I am wrong.

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Would have seen it at AO final rather than here first, IMO, due to the enormity of the event.

Just my thought; I mean I see your point about everything welling up and unleashing in a moment but I think it would have happened sooner if you attribute it to the reason you claimed.
I haven't seen him miss an easy short crosscourt forehand approach shot into the net just like the one on match point at Wimbledon until now.

Besides, the AO was too big a venue to display his anger. Huge stadium with lots more people in the audience and millions more watching on TV on a Sunday. In Miami, there were far fewer people in the audience and even fewer people watching on TV on a Friday afternoon. In any case, it takes a while to blow up a balloon before it finally can take no more and it explodes.

jelle v
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
He is just frustrated he changed rackets at the beginning of '08.. Ever since then his game has been on the decline.

(yes yes I know all this crap about how Federer has been playing the same racket for quite some time, but I don't buy it. The coincidence of his game starting to decline and his racket change are just... well.. too coincident)

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
He is just frustrated he changed rackets at the beginning of '08.. Ever since then his game has been on the decline.

(yes yes I know all this crap about how Federer has been playing the same racket for quite some time, but I don't buy it. The coincidence of his game starting to decline and his racket change are just... well.. too coincident)
Except that he changed to the K90 paintjob at the beginning of '07, not '08. In fact, in his first tournament with the K90 paintjob, he won the '07 Australian Open without losing a set. The first time anyone has done that in a Grand Slam since Bjorn Borg. He also won Wimbledon and the US Open with the same K90 paintjob in '07. So much for your theory, right? :)

BreakPoint
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Replace the words "racquet change" with "mono" and then you've got something there.

jelle v
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Except that he changed to the K90 paintjob at the beginning of '07, not '08. In fact, in his first tournament with the K90 paintjob, he won the '07 Australian Open without losing a set. The first time anyone has done that in a Grand Slam since Bjorn Borg. He also won Wimbledon and the US Open with the same K90 paintjob in '07. So much for your theory, right? :)

O sorry, I meant 07 indeed.. time flies..

But yes.. i know he won that Australian open with ease, but during that Australian Open I already noticed en mentioned among friends how Fed was playing poorly, especially from the forehand side, missing a lot and making a lot of unforced errors. It was my opinion already at that time, before he even won the tournament. Reason for me why he won so easy like he did, is that he came from a high from 06 and still made his opponents crap their pants before they even walked on court. That has faded with his game..

edit:
And yes, the mono didn't help either.. because ever since the mono, his footwork seems like 2% less than it used to be. Not much, but I seem to notice a difference. That footwork was still ok during the 07 australian open.

fastdunn
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen him miss an easy short crosscourt forehand approach shot into the net just like the one on match point at Wimbledon until now.

But I think Federer usually gives much more clearance over the net with much more top spin. I think he tries to flatten out short forehands against players like Nadal or Djokovic, IMHO.

Morrissey
04-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Wait, I thought he was supposed to be an athletic super specimen that recovers like no other mortal human being. Being that he won 13 slams, nothing could slow him down. :roll: Now he's like Ancic. But Ancic doesn't have 13 slams or ever was #1, mono can effect him, but not Fed.

dincuss
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I think his racquet was talking smack. He had to put it in its place.

I also believe this was the problem

BounceHitBounceHit
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Take a look:

The similiarities between the two missed forehands IS remarkable. But don't give up on Fed just yet. I think he has a Slam or two left in him. :) CC

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
So you've been making ALL of these comments BEFORE even seeing the video clips? :-?

No, they were both easy forehand crosscourt approach shots that went into the net for no reason other than operator error. He was coming into the net in both instances.

Believe what you will, but I clearly see a Federer jumping into the baseline to take the fairly short ball at Wimby versus a Federer charging the net against Djoker on a very short ball that pulls Fed well on to the service line.

Fed knows better than to hit an approach shot straight to Nadal while he himself is starting off slightly behind the baseline.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, Federer is about to switch racquet, so he needs to destroy the old stash. :wink:

Phil
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Well, now you have an automatic excuse for everything he does, other than win. He's NOT playing crappy tennis. He's what, 17-4 this year? He won quite a bit last year-even won a major. His problem is that he cannot be ROGER against the top two or three players anymore. Four years ago there WAS no "Rafa" or Andy-they were not fully formed superstars and the rest of the field was as weak as it's ever been. The game has changed, not HIM. And yes, he's older, too. It isn't "mono".

bladepdb
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Kinda like Mario Ancic and every other athlete-person who had the serious case of it? So basically you´re saying that only Roger Federer was able to still play despite having mono. What´s in Fed´s blood that he has such an advantage over everyone on the planet?

You mgiht be on to something. Maybe Ancic did have a serious case of mono and Fed got lucky and was only struck by a mild case of it. That would explain his ability to recover so quickly PHYSICALLY (no denying that Federer is still physically one of the most capable players out there).

Morrissey
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
You mgiht be on to something. Maybe Ancic did have a serious case of mono and Fed got lucky and was only struck by a mild case of it. That would explain his ability to recover so quickly PHYSICALLY (no denying that Federer is still physically one of the most capable players out there).

I don´t care how fit anyone can be, if they get hit hard with a serious case of mono they´re not out there playing tennis, much less best of 5 sets over 2 weeks in the middle of the Australian summer.

Tony48
04-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Federer made an identical forehand error during match point when he played Djokovic at last year's Australian Open. I think you're over-analyzing things, BreakPoint.

He missed an easy shot (after a slew of errors) and broke his racquet. The pot finally boiled over.

BreakPoint
04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Federer made an identical forehand error during match point when he played Djokovic at last year's Australian Open. I think you're over-analyzing things, BreakPoint.

He missed an easy shot (after a slew of errors) and broke his racquet.
More reason that it brought back bad memories. He lost two Grand Slams by missing a similar shot which started his downfall.

In any case, his loss to Djokovic at the '08 AO was before the loss of his beloved Wimbledon crown.

Tony48
04-07-2009, 12:46 AM
So you're saying that every time Federer misses an easy forehand, he's going to smash his racquet?

BreakPoint
04-07-2009, 12:59 AM

He missed an easy shot (after a slew of errors) and broke his racquet. The pot finally boiled over.
Actually, I just looked it up and the forehand Federer missed on match point at the '08 AO against Djokovic was NOT the same as the one he missed at the '08 Wimbledon nor the one in Miami when he smashed the racquet.

The one he missed at the '08 AO was NOT an approach shot and he was NOT moving forward. He was behind the baseline and hit a forehand into the net, that's all. It was not an easy short forehand while moving forward to the net like the other two were.

At the end of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMp42__XBI0

Tony48
04-07-2009, 01:17 AM
I think you've seen one too many Lost episodes :)

LMAO

10 chars

Fedace
04-07-2009, 08:47 AM
It just Dawned on me... the real reason that roger smashed his racket is ,,,, he just realized that Novak and Andy has passed him and his career is in decline and realized there is nothing he can do about it...

AprilFool
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Well, he did lose, what, six pounds a few days before the AO? The semi-final saw him barely moving on the court and it all went downhill from there. And don't forget the "bee-sting". His immune system was still wack through Wimbledon and beyond.
Using Occam's Razor, mono is the likelier explanation.