PDA

View Full Version : Why did Federer change from the PS85 to the K90?

JediMindTrick
04-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Federer fans are unanimous about the fact that Federer doesn't need to change his racquet. So my question is, why did Federer change his racquet before?

coloskier
04-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Federer fans are unanimous about the fact that Federer doesn't need to change his racquet. So my question is, why did Federer change his racquet before?

More than likely it was for money.

sureshs
04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
More than likely it was for money.

No, he himself said it was because he was shanking too much.

JediMindTrick
04-06-2009, 09:14 AM

He did? For real?

sureshs
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
He did? For real?

Yes, in an interview

veroniquem
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Really? IMO he shanked more AFTER the racquet change.

ronalditop
04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ImeQaAyFPc&feature=channel

in this video fed hit just three clean forehands right in the sweetspot (1:28, 1:45, 2:02). All the other forehands were hit too high in the stringbed, and it made the racquet to twist a little.

Lsmkenpo
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ImeQaAyFPc&feature=channel

in this video fed hit just three clean forehands right in the sweetspot (1:28, 1:45, 2:02). All the other forehands were hit too high in the stringbed, and it made the racquet to twist a little.

Federer and most pros hit higher in the stringbed on purpose, if you look at where he places his stringsavers they are higher in the stringbed.

ronalditop
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Federer and most pros hit higher in the stringbed on purpose, if you look at where he places his stringsavers they are higher in the stringbed.

i have saw other slow motion videos of other pros like monfils, nadal, verdasco, and when they hit, their racquets dont twist at all like in fed strokes.

Richie Rich
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM

because breakpoint told him to

charliefedererer
04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalditop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ImeQ...eature=channel

These are really good observations. It gets me thinking that maybe I hit too low in the stringbed. I wonder if Fed evolved his shot so that hitting higher in the stringbed, a less powerful area, led to a more controlled rally ball?
Or is it exactly the opposite; hitting further out along the racquet head means a longer lever arm, so potentially more pace on the shot.

ty slothrop
04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
his mis-hits these days are due to lack of confidence on the backhand (tentative swings) and horrible, clumsy footwork on the forehand.

he is shanking now because he grooved his strokes with a certain type of footwork/anticipation that he has totally abandoned over the past year-plus.

He's essentially got two options -- stay with the 90" and relearn his old footwork, or bump up to a 95" and learn totally new footwork.

MTXR
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
can someone quickly give me the 411 on the benefits of hitting higher on the string bed? I typically hit lower on the string bed...

ronalditop
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
can someone quickly give me the 411 on the benefits of hitting higher on the string bed? I typically hit lower on the string bed...

there's no benefit on where you hit on the stringbed. some people just like to hit higher on it, while other hit lower. But in the video i posted, im sure fed was very close to misshit some of those forehands, because you can clearly see how the racquet face twists just after making contact with the ball.

saram
04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
there's no benefit on where you hit on the stringbed. some people just like to hit higher on it, while other hit lower. But in the video i posted, im sure fed was very close to misshit some of those forehands, because you can clearly see how the racquet face twists just after making contact with the ball.

Just about every shot hit in the history of tennis caused the stick to twist at impact....

ronalditop
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Just about every shot hit in the history of tennis caused the stick to twist at impact....

in these three forehands (1:28, 1:45, 2:02), federer hits very close to the sweetspot and you can see the racquet doesnt twist as much as his other forehands.

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2009, 02:25 PM

If you put lead at 12 oclock, your sweet spot will rise up higher in the string bed which equals more leverage and more racquet head speed at contact, as long as you can handle the extra swing weight.

Lsmkenpo
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM

in these three forehands (1:28, 1:45, 2:02), federer hits very close to the sweetspot and you can see the racquet doesnt twist as much as his other forehands.

You don't understand, he hits higher in the stringbed on purpose, what you think is twist because of a mishit is simply the windshield wiper forehand follow through.

This is a practice rally and you think Fed mishit all his forehands but 3 ?

I guarantee he hit the ball exactly where he wanted to hit it on the bed, these are pro players their skillset is off the charts, I watched Fed practice a couple years ago at a tourney and he was messing around hitting serves just outside the service box to the other box by just using the inside of his frame and ticking the ball with it to create a ton a spin the ball never touched his strings and the serves were bouncing up 6 foot high, these guys are well beyond understanding in their skills, trust me he hit the ball exactly were he wanted.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Looking from a physics point of view, if you hit higher on the string bed, everything else being equal, there will be more momentum and therefore higher velocity.

Satch
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Fed would never hit 3 consecutive forehands in the same place if that's something wrong...

He does that on purpose, but i would like to see him going to 95sq".

adlis
04-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Didn't he use a 95"Hyper pro staff when he won his first ever slam?

http://www.kaliteliresimler.com/data/media/186/Federer_tenis.JPG
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/RestonFriends/64828e03.jpg

fastdunn
04-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Didn't he use a 95"Hyper pro staff when he won his first ever slam?

http://www.kaliteliresimler.com/data/media/186/Federer_tenis.JPG
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/RestonFriends/64828e03.jpg

painted as hyper. the shape of the throat area shows it is not hyper prostaff.

Nanshiki
04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
People just change.. I went from 85 to 90, to 95, to 98, and back to 88.. Its all part of the process of getting what feels right.. Just a shame it has taken me so long to come back. But in saying that. The only reason I don't use my original 85's, is because they have had enough... Otherwise I would.. Jsut lucky something was released that feels similar..

As for Fed. Who cares why..

Shall we ask. Why did Boris change from the Puma Vilas, to the Puma Super. Or why Ivan changed from the Kniesl to the Mizuno. Or even why Pete changed from the PS85 to the kps88..

They just did...

Except that the KPS88 is actually 90 inches. lol.

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
federer is the greatest!

Josherer
04-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Yes, in an interview

Link please.

Otherwise you're not very credible.

prosealster
04-17-2009, 02:56 AM
because he was shanking too much...so he went to wilson to make him a 90 version

Povl Carstensen
04-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Yes, I read that too.
On the video, Federer hits the ball beautifully. Most of the shots a bit closer to the bottom edge of the racket than the top edge. A legitimate technique that gives more lift and topspin.

bladepdb
04-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Yes, I read that too.
On the video, Federer hits the ball beautifully. Most of the shots a bit closer to the bottom edge of the racket than the top edge. A legitimate technique that gives more lift and topspin.

I think he meant top of the racquet along the length of the racquet (i.e. bottom of grip to top of racquet head), not the width of the racquet head.

defrule
04-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Link please.

Otherwise you're not very credible.

It's in the book about him.

TheNatural
04-17-2009, 07:38 AM
he made references to exactly why he switched in some interview about the new 90" racket that Wilson designed especially for him.

It was due to shanking too much and because he wanted a racquet that helped him to sustain rallys for longer.

JediMindTrick
04-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Why can't he go to Wilson and tell them to make a 95" raquet just for him. Wilson will probably be happy to do it because they will have another latest and greatest racquet to sell.

martini1
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
More than anything Wilson already knew Fed will be the next hot poster boy after he beat Sampras in '01. The PS85 is an old racket with steady sales but to make extra $$$ they will need to introduce a new racket, with Fed using it.

Sure, under the paint job it is specially made for him, but for marketing purposes they need a non-black, different enough racket to sell. Fed was playing just fine with the PS85.

deltox
04-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalditop

These are really good observations. It gets me thinking that maybe I hit too low in the stringbed. I wonder if Fed evolved his shot so that hitting higher in the stringbed, a less powerful area, led to a more controlled rally ball?
Or is it exactly the opposite; hitting further out along the racquet head means a longer lever arm, so potentially more pace on the shot.

higher in the stringbed gives more natural spin becuase of the ball being able to remain on the racquet longer as they sweep the strokes up

Povl Carstensen
04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I think he meant top of the racquet along the length of the racquet (i.e. bottom of grip to top of racquet head), not the width of the racquet head.
Well I mean in the width. In the top of the racket does not make the racket twist. And it does not help to have a bigger racket (they're the same length).

quest01
04-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Why can't he go to Wilson and tell them to make a 95" raquet just for him. Wilson will probably be happy to do it because they will have another latest and greatest racquet to sell.

Federer has been using a midsize racquet since he started playing on the ATP tour so the chances of him switching to a mid plus is slim to none.

Federer switched from the 85 to the 90 because in an interview he mentioned how he wanted to reduce the amount of mishits from the 85 and felt this could be done by switching to a slightly larger head size.

tennis_hand
04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
now u start to realize why people say success is the worst teacher.

Fed changed from 85 to 90 because he couldn't win anything big. He was willing to change.

After he was so successful with the 90, he is so unwilling to change now, although right now he is suffering the same problem as he was with the 85.

the only difference is, he didn't win much with the 85 but won a lot with the 90. and he just can't repeat the same thing he did years ago again.

LanceStern
04-18-2009, 10:36 AM
That video fo the slow-mo forehands certainly look like almost mishits to me.

That's not normal racket twist, he's just about touching the frame!

tennis_hand
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
it's a mishit, not a shank on the frame.
a racket won't tremble like when hitting in the sweet spot.

JediMindTrick
04-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Federer has been using a midsize racquet since he started playing on the ATP tour so the chances of him switching to a mid plus is slim to none.

Federer switched from the 85 to the 90 because in an interview he mentioned how he wanted to reduce the amount of mishits from the 85 and felt this could be done by switching to a slightly larger head size.

But the TW posters have already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that increasing the head size by 5" (or any amount for that matter) will not reduce the mishits, how can Federer believe such a ridiculous thing? He should have stayed with the 85" and improve his technique. He took a shortcut and now he is paying for it.

Tennis Dunce
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Fed just needs to be (n)coded.