PDA

View Full Version : Severe side spin as a style of play

nzmose
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I had the unfortunate luck to meet a guy in the final of a local tournament who played a style of tennis ( I guess you could call it tennis) that was nothing like anything I have ever seen before in 30+ years of playing.

Have you ever seen mansour bahrami? This guy was from Nigeria, and he swooped at the ball with long violent sweeping arcs for 'strokes' from both sides. The side spin he created was severe and dramatic. Unfortunaltely he was very very good at it. The ball would come over the net and jump sharply to one side or the other or some times backwards! Never did it advance forward.

His atletism was such that if I attacked he would lob perfectly.

Has anyone every encountered such a player? If so how did you handle it?

BTW - he as killing me but something clicked and I made an adjustment and finally won after 3 1/2 hours in 3 sets. but still....

sureshs
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I have played a couple of times against players like this. One is a guy who did backhand side spin, the other one is a woman who did it on the forehand side. Both are 4.0 players, and both have horrible overall technique. Over a period of time, they have become good at this one stroke only and use it to mask their other deficiencies. Give them high looping topspin and they will struggle.

PimpMyGame
04-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Good advice above from sureshs. Glad you came through the challenge and won your match, it's so easy to get your head caught up in "I'm better than this person, their technique is awful and if I just plug away I'll win". Problem is that many lose because of the psychological side of the game.

spot
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
If you keep the ball deep then little futzy junkball players are toast.

LeeD
04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow, at first I thought you meant you played Bahrami himself, a top 60 Mens' pro player formerly.....
Let's see... JimmyConnors, MiraslavMecir, BradGilbert, just a few of the older players who employed sidespin for DTL shots.
Of course, the ball generally moved away from you, and guys who can slice or sidespin well often have great feel on lobs, so attacking is a tough proposition unless led by a really DEEP or forcing approach shot.
Those guys above all gave little pace to hit against, were great getters and fetchers, ran everything down, and gave their opponents WIERD balls to hit against.
I didn't play any of the one's I mentioned, but RaulRameriz I hit with a few times, and TomBrown another who employed sidespin on both sides DTL....

Frank Silbermann
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Wow, at first I thought you meant you played Bahrami himself, a top 60 Mens' pro player formerly.....
Let's see... JimmyConnors, MiraslavMecir, BradGilbert, just a few of the older players who employed sidespin for DTL shots.
Of course, the ball generally moved away from you, and guys who can slice or sidespin well often have great feel on lobs, so attacking is a tough proposition unless led by a really DEEP or forcing approach shot.
Those guys above all gave little pace to hit against, were great getters and fetchers, ran everything down, and gave their opponents WIERD balls to hit against.
In 1974 Jimmy Connors was considered a power hitter. No other player (that year) hit harder ground strokes.

LeeD
04-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Nope, you got it wrong.
I watched him play all thru his best years, and as a fellow lefty, I'd say he was a pusher who could hit the corners well, retrieved great, was competitive mentally stronger than anyone else, had the weakest serves, two handed backhand volleys (later changed to one handed), sidespin DTL both wings and topspin crosscourt shots, great eagle eyes for return of serves, and bored everyone to death with 95mph spin serves to force you to get tired out mentally against his soft, well placed groundies.
Anyone who thinks he's a power hitter should look at some of his comtempories, like Tanner, Amaya, Kriek, Kraijeck, and that ilk who REALLY hit the ball, not caress it like Gilbert and Mecir, .....and Mc and Connors.