PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Career GS

Nadalfan89
04-06-2009, 02:16 PM
If Nadal goes on to win FO and Wimbledon again this year, then wins USO; I think it would be fair to call him the GOAT considering that he's proven that he can win grand slams on all surfaces, a gold medal in singles, all four GS in one year and all before the age of 24. Also the fact that he did all this while Federer was around wouldn't hurt his cause either.

You can hate his grunting and his slow, grinder type game but you have to admit that he's going to do amazing things in tennis, especially considering he has another 4-5 good years of tennis left in him.

SaintClaires
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
As much as I would love to see it, I don't think Roff-I-Yell-Nah-Dall will win the next three majors.

clayman2000
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
You cant be a GOAT without longetivity. If Nadal never won another title after that would ihe be the GOAT no of course not. Especially not when you have guys like Federer who came one match away from the same claim (FO 06, 07). If he did that, you would assume he would win at least a few more slams, master and stay at the top for a while. Problem is you cant assume. Otherwise than in 2007, everyone would have been calling Federer the GOAT becuase everyone would assume he would win at the very least 3 majors, possibly even like 5 - 6.

pc1
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
If Nadal goes on to win FO and Wimbledon again this year, then wins USO; I think it would be fair to call him the GOAT considering that he's proven that he can win grand slams on all surfaces, a gold medal in singles, all four GS in one year and all before the age of 24. Also the fact that he did all this while Federer was around wouldn't hurt his cause either.

You can hate his grunting and his slow, grinder type game but you have to admit that he's going to do amazing things in tennis, especially considering he has another 4-5 good years of tennis left in him.

Still way too early, even if he wins the Grand Slam. For example Laver won two Grand Slams plus a Pro Grand Slam in 1967. Laver also won about 200 tennis tournaments against the likes of Rosewall, Gonzalez, Ashe, Borg, Smith, Hoad etc. Nadal has a shot but you have to wait a few years. Just a couple of years ago many were saying Federer was definitely the GOAT and everyone is off that bandwagon now.

What makes me think Nadal has a chance is that he has no noticeable weaknesses like for example Federer's backhand. That plus the fact he improves every year. You have to respect his work ethnic.

Bud
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM

I think you can add a couple more required achievements to that list.

He also needs to bypass Agassi in Master's titles and Sampras in GS titles. If Federer happens to bypass Sampras... then he needs to bypass Federer in GS titles.

What would really cement that type of status would be Nadal winning every GS title at least 2 times.

When he can do all that... then, we'll declare him GOAT and he will have, unarguably, earned the title.

GameSampras
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
You cant be a GOAT without longetivity. If Nadal never won another title after that would ihe be the GOAT no of course not. Especially not when you have guys like Federer who came one match away from the same claim (FO 06, 07). If he did that, you would assume he would win at least a few more slams, master and stay at the top for a while. Problem is you cant assume. Otherwise than in 2007, everyone would have been calling Federer the GOAT becuase everyone would assume he would win at the very least 3 majors, possibly even like 5 - 6.

Well Nadal has been in and around the top since he was 18 or whatever. If he can manage into his late 20s he would still have longevity. 10 years worth anyways. He was an early bloomer opposed to players like Fed and Pete

veroniquem
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Well Nadal has been in and around the top since he was 18 or whatever. If he can manage into his late 20s he would still have longevity. 10 years worth anyways. He was an early bloomer opposed to players like Fed and Pete
Pete won the USO at 19!! Not bad for a "late" bloomer :???:

vtmike
04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Well Nadal will be much be better than Pete Sampras...that's for sure!

deltox
04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
even comparing nadals record for the past 3 years to Feds 3 year record prior to last year he isnt even quite as dominate in a three year stretch. Nadal arguably may have one of the best single or 2 year records in history but he cannot claim the 3 year-career title yet.

deltox
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Well Nadal will be much be better than Pete Sampras...that's for sure!

thats a fanboi remark if i ever saw one. saying that anyone "will" be better than pete, borg, fed or any other dominate player in history is being hopeful at best.

Nadalfan89
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
GOAT is such a relative term though. I think winning on all surfaces at least once is better than winning on two surfaces abunch of times. I think you have to take into account the competition during the era of the GOAT candidate. Pete Sampras has 14 GS's but he didn't exactly have to play against Federers and Nadals...(no disrespect to Agassi)

vtmike
04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
thats a fanboi remark if i ever saw one. saying that anyone "will" be better than pete, borg, fed or any other dominate player in history is being hopeful at best.

I was being sarcastic incase you didn't notice ;)

Safinator_1
04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I do believe Rafa will take French but it is a long...... shot that he takes Wimbledon and USO, i see them going more towards Fed and Murray

GameSampras
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Pete won the USO at 19!! Not bad for a "late" bloomer :???:

Yea but he didnt do much until 3 years later. Certainly didnt his his prime until 22