PDA

View Full Version : Gosh, I miss this

sstchur
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHppMmh-YE&feature=related

Tennis this beautiful just doesn't exist anymore in the men's game.

I know Nadal is dominating currently, but his tennis, even on his best day, never looked this beautiful.

Alas, this was back when Fed didn't mishit everything.

Makes me sad.

Ian Stewart
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM

I know Nadal is dominating currently, but his tennis, even on his best day, never looked this beautiful.

Makes me sad.

Agree.

The running backhand at 3:06 is divine.

vtmike
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
That's just too good!! what a huge difference between the Fed of 2006 and the Fed of 2009...Fed of 2006 would have spanked the Fed of 2009 in straights :(

SaintClaires
04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
On the other hand, Fed's performance against del Potro in the quarters of the AO this year was similarly sublime. He's still got the magic.....

samster
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Makes me sad.

Looking at the video showed me that Fed has lost some explosiveness or speed, or both of his movements.

saram
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
You know what it is?

He had the n90 back then....which is my holy grail now :)

VivalaVida
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I miss federer's prime years to but dont be sad. Everyone declines and younger champions emerge. Federer set the standard so high that we now have another amazing champion and world number 1, Rafa.

tenniko
04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Looking at the video showed me that Fed has lost some explosiveness or speed, or both of his movements.

I agree. He is very quick in the video. Lately, it seems he doesn't have as much spring in his steps, which might explain his excessive off-timing shots.

VictorS.
04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree. He is very quick in the video. Lately, it seems he doesn't have as much spring in his steps, which might explain his excessive off-timing shots.

If I remember correctly, Federer was coming off a serious ankle injury going into this tournament. Watching this video, I actually think his movement was a bit subpar compared to his best IMO. Still obviously good enough to win the whole tournament though.

paulorenzo
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
seeing his style of play and smooth yet fast footwork in the video was like seeing an old friend.

msc886
04-07-2009, 12:38 AM
It's a shame he doesn't play like that anymore. He looks like he's washed up out there these days.

roderer
04-07-2009, 02:00 AM
seeing his style of play and smooth yet fast footwork in the video was like seeing an old friend.

too true. that's very sad. :cry:

Josherer
04-07-2009, 03:43 AM
^^^^

He'll get back into form i'm sure of it....

After Glandular Fever he recovered and was in great form Winning the US Open...

Then he was struck by a back injury which limited him from playing and forced him to withdraw from some tourneys...

I'm sure he should find his form (and with it confidence) within the next couple of months.. Hopefully in time for Wimbledon so he can regain his crown :)

The Pure One
04-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Is this ugly tennis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo44ycnkbrE

I beg to differ.

RalphNYC
04-07-2009, 05:16 AM
And his face back then was more happy looking - he looked like he was enjoying the sport. These days, even if he's winning he has this scowl on his face that just doesn't sit right with me. It's strange - it's not just a game face, it's an unhappiness I think.

JediMindTrick
04-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Federer needed 5 sets to beat Kiefer in that match. If you put today Nadal or even Murray in Kiefer's place, Federer would have lost. The problem is not that Federer is playing worse, the problem is that the rest of the field got better.

David_Is_Right
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM

I'm sure I'd really agree with you if I could actually see the ball!

sstchur
04-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Federer needed 5 sets to beat Kiefer in that match. If you put today Nadal or even Murray in Kiefer's place, Federer would have lost. The problem is not that Federer is playing worse, the problem is that the rest of the field got better.

Completely disagree here. I've heard this argument before and I just don't buy it. Yes, the competition /has/ gotten better; no doubt about it. But Federer is simply not playing the way he did back then.

I'll admit that even at his best, things might be more difficult for Federer with today's competition, but I don't buy that everyone else has gotten /that/ much better while Fed has stayed exactly the same.

No, it's definitely a combination of better competition /and/ a tremendous drop in Fed's quality of play that has led to the current slump.

04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Just look at Kiefer's knees. They were so stiff like Agassi's. His movement was pathetic. But his shot-making ability is nowhere near Agassi's. IMHO, beautiful tennis must be produced between two great players.

shadows
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Federer needed 5 sets to beat Kiefer in that match.

6-3 5-7 6-0 6-2

surely helps your argument if you actually get your starting point right?

tennisfan_23
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
makes me sad to watch this, really...

but ya, i think honestly the main difference is that fed is no longer calm and confident.. esp. confident, that goes a long way for someone with his talent, to just FEEL shots and make 'em instead of thinking

8PAQ
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I miss federer's prime years to but dont be sad. Everyone declines and younger champions emerge. Federer set the standard so high that we now have another amazing champion and world number 1, Rafa.

Not even close.

04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
You mean 3 slams in one calender year, Olympics champion and DC champion?
Not even close.

[d]ragon
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I really miss the old Federer but times change, players decline and new blood will be introduced. Hope Federer can get his confidence back and start winning some. I'm also rooting on Nadal and Murray at the same time though

CCNM
04-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I saw Pete Sampras play an exhibition in my hometown last year, and was amazed at what I saw-he actually ran forward, towards the net, to return some of the shots!!! You don't see that very much anymore. IMO Nadal and Murray should have been baseball players.

JediMindTrick
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM

6-3 5-7 6-0 6-2

surely helps your argument if you actually get your starting point right?

Sorry, you're right. My point is that at AO 2006, Federer didn't play that great (by his standards of course), but the competition was weak. He wouldn't win the tournament with that kind of play against today competition. The same could be said about other majors that he won, like the USO 2005.

People only remember Federer playing his best like AO 2007 when he played like a god, but he always had weaker tournament like any other player. The difference is that, back then, the competition was weak and scared so it didn't take advantage in his weaker matches.

tacou
04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
no offense but this is just baseline-based all court play. a lot of players play like this. no one did it better than fed 04-07 but if you don't enjoy Tsonga or Gasquet's game that's just your opinion. technically their games are similar to Fed's, just aesthetically very different.

so yeah, this tennis does exist. but I am sorry that your Federer is no longer the best.

Karma_struggle
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
And his face back then was more happy looking - he looked like he was enjoying the sport. These days, even if he's winning he has this scowl on his face that just doesn't sit right with me. It's strange - it's not just a game face, it's an unhappiness I think.

Couldn't agree more. Looking at the match, one of the most telling things is the way Federer looks after the points. Even when he wins a point, or even breaks Nadal, he keeps his head down like he's trying to focus on staying in the match mentally. He doesn't look relaxed or at ease at all.

yellowoctopus
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Is this ugly tennis?

I beg to differ.

They all are beautiful. We should appreciate the fact that we live in the era where two of the best-ever players in the game are competing at a high level. I have my doubt that we will ever see GS finals like 07, 08 Wimbledon and 09 AO again.

kimbahpnam
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm sure I'd really agree with you if I could actually see the ball!

I saw the ball perfectly fine. You just gotta push the little button that says HQ - High Quality.

theduh
04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
... 10 char.

P_Agony
04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Is this ugly tennis?

I beg to differ.

Not ugly tennis there from Fed, just a very shaky one. Double fault on set points and break points? Not from the old Fed. This match was his. He won more points, had countless break points, and was the better player until the 4th set. This clip actually shows it.

dwhiteside
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Without going into too much detail, I think it's a combo of "Nadal is better than the competition Fed faced in his prime" and also Fed has legitimately deteriorated in terms of his confidence, his foot speed, his ability to come up with these 'special shots', his explosiveness, and perhaps his backhand. From whatever it was, if you really put time into studying his games 2004-2006 or so, then you compare that to the AO 2009, where he was playing a very high standard of tennis even, you cannot argue that his game has not changed in various ways. Combine that with Nadal and some of the other newer talents and you have what we're seeing now, to a large extent. Nadal *is* the greatest challenge Federer has seen right now, with Nadal where he is at this current point in time, but Federer also has his own problems to worry about that have more to do with his own game in isolation, and that would apply just as much even if he was playing someone other than Nadal. Call it mental, call it confidence, footspeed, whatever. I'll also state this doesn't denigrate Nadal's talent or playing ability or his great skill to state this, which I see as something fairly uncontestable if one would do the research and analysis. Nadal is an amazing talent and an amazing player and if he were playing now with Federer a few years ago, who could say what their h2h would be? I'm not saying in any way that even if Federer were in his prime he would beat Nadal now, and I'm not saying he wouldn't. That's a moot point. It's just not right to say that everything that's happening now is solely because of 'better talent in the field' and has nothing to do with semi-recent developments in Federer and various other factors I mentioned.

Further, none of us honestly know what's going on exactly in Federer's head, or what he thinks of himself and what's happening to his game and the results, or what he's doing to change in his off-time, and what he's thinking about, and what motivates him, and all the other personal facts that make up who he truly is, not some illusory image of him derived from brief fragmented press conferences and various other media interviews.

And for all we know, he COULD be seeing a sports psychologist all the time and has been for a while - pretty sure he too realizes there's something a bit off with his game (which might translate to something a bit off with his life in general, perhaps, something that maybe people who don't actually know him personally wouldn't recognize or realize), I don't think he needs the insightful geniuses at a tennis forum to tell him that - would such a proud guy as Federer publically announce he was seeing a PSYCHOLOGIST, if he were?

DunlopDood
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Outstanding ball striking, I wish he played like this more. He seems to be second guessing himself a lot more these days on that forehand approach shot.

TennisandMusic
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I guess this would make sense if Federer was unbeaten in 04-07 but that's not the case. In fact Nadal was beating him every year in those years, generally a few times, including on hard when Federer was at his very best.

The only thing missing from those years was another 1-2 great players as almost every generation has seen, except for most of the 2000's. Seems like with Murray we are at least getting another one.

Leublu tennis
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Is this ugly tennis?

I beg to differ.
Comparing the two clips, this is a lot closer to the WTA style of play. Sorry.

LT

Josherer
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm disagree... Fed played well in the US Open final and look what happened...

He recovered well after the glandular fever but then shortly after reaching his form in the US he injured his back..

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Fed looked very solid back then.. But again. he was playing Kiefer for god sakes. I mean COME ON!!!. Fed looked better but the competition was a bit poorer at the top than we see today. Kiefer is no Prime Nadal, Djoker, or Murray

kaiotic
04-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Looking at the video showed me that Fed has lost some explosiveness or speed, or both of his movements. true.
and the NCode seems to fit him better. i don't know. he should use the NCode again

ninman
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Federer in 2006 played magnificently that's for sure. What an amazing year he had. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen would the FO final had Federer won Rome 2006. I think losing that match took away a lot of his confidence, which is why he seemed to put up such a lacklustre effort in the FO final afterwards.

Of course it couldn't last forever, but I think what's sad is that his game just seemed to suddenly and dramatically crash, and now he can't even put up a fight against the top 4, let alone beat them like he used to.

OddJack
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Agree.

The running backhand at 3:06 is divine.

A+

Nothing wrong with Roger except that he's mentally tired, I agree to that.
He needs to take it easy and start enjoying it like he used to.

LanceStern
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Federer in 2006 played magnificently that's for sure. What an amazing year he had. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen would the FO final had Federer won Rome 2006. I think losing that match took away a lot of his confidence, which is why he seemed to put up such a lacklustre effort in the FO final afterwards.

Of course it couldn't last forever, but I think what's sad is that his game just seemed to suddenly and dramatically crash, and now he can't even put up a fight against the top 4, let alone beat them like he used to.

One could argue that the signs were showing in 2007. He had a hard fight against Nadal at Wimbledon, lost to Canas twice on hard courts, then fillipo volandri on clay?! It was his first year with a double digit loss since I don't know when.

Then he lost the US Tournament to Djokovic (afte rmaking a ton of errors... foreshadow) and lost to Gonzalez at the Master Series.

Sure he won 3 GS's and destroyed everyone in the YEC after his Gonzo loss, but people were noticing that it wasn't as good a year for Fed as he nomrally had. Still played ridiculous tennis, but people mentioned at US Open that his forehand didn't have as big of a sting as it used to.

I don't know, then 08 came and it all crashed

All-rounder
04-08-2009, 12:09 AM
A+

Nothing wrong with Roger except that he's mentally tired, I agree to that.
He needs to take it easy and start enjoying it like he used to.
A champion can't enjoy tennis if he's not winning especially Federer

Blade0324
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
ehhh it's ok. Not really anything special to me. Sorry I know my opinion isn't popular.

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
the beautiful game is womens tennis. :)

TnTBigman
04-09-2009, 04:10 AM
You see kids. becareful of who you kiss, and try not to share the same drinking cup. Mononucleusis, the performance killer.

Ocean Drive
04-09-2009, 04:35 AM

You call him "rafa" as if you are his friend, haha.

Elzurdo
04-09-2009, 04:43 AM
IMHO the root cause of Federerīs decline in performance, is a decline in mobility.
Even a slight loss of leg speed can affect your strikes, and usually in your strongest weapon it will show more noticeable. Rogerīs big FH is an example. This will lead to loss of confidence.

VivalaVida
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
You call him "rafa" as if you are his friend, haha.
It happens to be his name. Of course you were obligated to make that unfunny joke.

P_Agony
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
One could argue that the signs were showing in 2007. He had a hard fight against Nadal at Wimbledon, lost to Canas twice on hard courts, then fillipo volandri on clay?! It was his first year with a double digit loss since I don't know when.

Then he lost the US Tournament to Djokovic (afte rmaking a ton of errors... foreshadow) and lost to Gonzalez at the Master Series.

Sure he won 3 GS's and destroyed everyone in the YEC after his Gonzo loss, but people were noticing that it wasn't as good a year for Fed as he nomrally had. Still played ridiculous tennis, but people mentioned at US Open that his forehand didn't have as big of a sting as it used to.

I don't know, then 08 came and it all crashed

Yes, but it was also the year he ended Nadal's streak of 81 wins on clay, but beating him for the first time on clay. I agree in 2007 his MS performences were less than stellar, with losses to Canas and Volandri, and maybe that was a sign of his poor performences in the MS tournys today. But still, he managed to win 2 MS titles, 3 slams, and the YEC that year, and it was also the only year he defeated Nadal on all three surfaces.

ChanceEncounter
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM

The funny thing is that this is a false dilemma. It's not one or the other; it's both.

naylor
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Fed looked very solid back then.. But again. he was playing Kiefer...

From what I saw, Kiefer's shots were regularly bouncing short on the service line, so Fed just had to patrol the baseline. And anything even shorter was just inviting Fed to step in and drill it down the line for a winner.

Whereas the likes of Nadal and Murray either hit deeper or with so much top that Fed has to base himself 4 / 6 feet behind the baseline and have a lot more ground to cover; or else if he still camps on the baseline he has to take the ball a lot earlier and makes more mistakes as a result. In either case, he has to work a lot harder.