PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Volley's!!!

warrior_15
04-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I hat to volley, but that is only because I am not very good at it. Whenever I try to hit one, I lead with the head of the racquet and it drops causing a downward swing (with the ball following it). Any tips to stop this motion?

joebedford
04-04-2004, 10:55 AM
General volley tips:

1) Step into the ball with the "opposite" foot. In other words, if the ball is to your right, step with your left foot.

2) Don't swing--"block" or "punch" the ball back.

3) Keep the racquet face above your wrist. If the ball is low, get down with it.

4) Keep your wrist firm.

Hal
04-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Just to enhance what Joe said,

The the step with the opposite foot and the punch should be done in one compact motion.

Keep your wrist above your elbow, and make sure you bend your knees to get down to a lower ball. If you have to get too low (below your knee), you should probably half-volley the ball instead.

fastdunn
04-07-2004, 05:07 PM
warrior_15, that was my problem and still re-surfaces sometimes
especially when I handle very hard struck passing shots.

You already know the problem and I doubt there is any
easy way to fix it except lots of practices that make you
comfortable with racquet face going slightly behind your
hand.

Maybe you can keep building this internal concept that
you volley with racquet handle, not head.
I practice that by hitting againt backborad just to be
comfortable with it. And I had about 10 private lessions
over 2 months and the coach always let me know
whenever I lead my volleys with racquet head.....

Good luck, FD

Morpheus
04-07-2004, 05:17 PM
When I'm having trouble volleying, its because I'm rushing into the ball. I have to slow things down and watch the ball hit the strings. Try "catching" the ball on the strings to get the feel...don't worry about hitting or punching the ball, just let it come to you. Once you've got the feel, you can punch a few.

chance
04-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I wholly agree w/ the "catch the ball" on the strings. We all tend to swing too much on volleys and not take advantage of our bodies' forward momentum. Also (for the most part), the racquet should extend away from your body toward the (net) fence posts--keep the volley in front of you--almost at 45 degrees. Last, if you find you're missing volleys, try placing your head (as you volley) in the same plane as your racquet head. This forces you to watch--concentrate--on the impact (catch) of the ball against the strings. A good drill here is to play mini-tennis w/ no bounce either deuce to deuce (or add/add) or cross-court but w/ drop shots only--no pace--and again, no bounce (point is your if it bounces on the other side of net). The drill goes: catch the ball on your strings and place the drop shot over the net and move in for your opponent's drop. Repeat.