PDA

View Full Version : Current Top 10 and their place in history...

AsaHartz
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
On another tennis information cite, there is a comparison of three different generations to the current top ten. It is very interesting to look at, especially considering the top tens from two different years combined for 50 or more major titles. The problem with comparing this to the current top ten, however, is that these show career totals for the individuals within the past top tens. For instance, in 1992 Sampras is credited with 14 slams. So my question is, looking at the current top 10, how many titles do you think this group will end up with?

Here is my guess?

Rafael Nadal- 12
Roger Federer- 15
Novak Djokovic- 4
Andy Murray- 5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 2 (something tells me he will get another US Open title)
Juan Martin del Potro- 3
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 1

Combined total of 41 major titles.

AsaHartz
04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry, I added one late. A combined total of 42.

FlamEnemY
04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I can't see del Potro winning 3. 1 is a stretch at the moment, to be honest. Also, I don't think Nadal can end with 12. 10 is a good number, though.
Roddick's chances also aren't very good. He has to go through some very tough opponents to even reach the final.

gj011
04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Rafael Nadal- 12-14
Roger Federer- 14
Novak Djokovic- 3-5
Andy Murray- 3-5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 1 (should be 0)
Juan Martin del Potro- 1-2
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 0-1

clayman2000
04-07-2009, 09:00 AM
On another tennis information cite, there is a comparison of three different generations to the current top ten. It is very interesting to look at, especially considering the top tens from two different years combined for 50 or more major titles. The problem with comparing this to the current top ten, however, is that these show career totals for the individuals within the past top tens. For instance, in 1992 Sampras is credited with 14 slams. So my question is, looking at the current top 10, how many titles do you think this group will end up with?

Here is my guess?

Rafael Nadal- 12
Roger Federer- 15
Novak Djokovic- 4
Andy Murray- 5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Juan Martin del Potro- 3
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 1

Sorry man but this will never happen.

Federer will be lucky to get to 14 the way the rest of the field is playing.
Nadal should get at least 10, but to predict is way too hard

Djokovic will proably win just 1 more. Murray has the potential to be Roger Federer's Nadal to Rafa in the upcoming years

Roddick will be very lucky to win another slam. However, after the "Big 4, he is probably the next best candidate. (coming from a Roddick fan)

I dont see Monfils winning a slam either. For me, based on what we have seen this decade, i beleive the slams will be dominated by a small select gruop

clayman2000
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Rafael Nadal- 12-14
Roger Federer- 14
Novak Djokovic- 3-5
Andy Murray- 3-5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 1 (should be 0)
Juan Martin del Potro- 1-2
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 0-1

Someones clearly a Roddick hater. Roddick deserves everything he has, and has been unlucky to have not won more

Djokovicfan4life
04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
That list looked reasonable until the part with Verdasco winning 0.

Predictions at this point are silly, albeit fun for some. Federer was a mental midget at Djokovic's/Murray's age that many probably said would never win a slam. Look what happened there.

This guy named Marat Safin also came along, who many thought would become one of, if not the greatest player of all time. Just how'd that one work out, anyway?

Point is, for the most part, predictions are meaningless.

Matt

P_Agony
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Rafael Nadal- 12
Roger Federer- 16
Novak Djokovic- 1
Andy Murray- 5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 1
Juan Martin del Potro- 0
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 0

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Here is my guess?

Rafael Nadal- 12
Roger Federer- 15
Novak Djokovic- 4
Andy Murray- 5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Juan Martin del Potro- 3
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 1

Roddick has no shot at winning another major. There are too many players out there that are better than him.

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Rafael Nadal- 12 to 13
Roger Federer- 14
Novak Djokovic- 3
Andy Murray- 6
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- Just the one he got back in 03
Juan Martin del Potro- 1. He may grab one out of the blue but certainly dont see him as a legitimate champion who can stay consistent
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 0

deltox
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Rafael Nadal- 12
Roger Federer- 15
Novak Djokovic- 5
Andy Murray- 5
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 2
Juan Martin del Potro- 2
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 4

deltox
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Roddick has no shot at winning another major. There are too many players out there that are better than him.

actually Roddick does have an outside shot at Wimbeldon with several IFs happening or the us open if he can get out of Feds draw

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Roddick is still a bit of a threat but his best chances are behind him I think. He will always run into a player that can beat him at the slams. Whether its Murray, Djoker or Fed

WHSTENNIS
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Saying nadal will get 12-15 GS is stretching it. Pretty soon joker and murray will be better then him on HC and federer will win wimby this year so all nadal has is the FO for awhile.

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Saying nadal will get 12-15 GS is stretching it. Pretty soon joker and murray will be better then him on HC and federer will win wimby this year so all nadal has is the FO for awhile.

Not sure about Djoker. He shows no signs of returning to his early-08 form. Murray will be a rival IMO to Nadal on Hardcourts and Grass probably for a few years to come. Nadal already has 6. He could manage to double that bearing injury and if he doesnt burn out fast

deltox
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Roddick is still a bit of a threat but his best chances are behind him I think. He will always run into a player that can beat him at the slams. Whether its Murray, Djoker or Fed

i agree totally, but his does always remain dangerous if the draws work out favoring him

GameSampras
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Of course these assumpions may not be set in stone since we dont know what kind of up and comers are coming. Who would have thought only a few years after Pete retired, Fed would be close to breakin the slam record. Someone could come along in a few years from now and begin to dominate at the slams as well. Maybe its one of those names mentioned. Maybe its someone else who comes into their own and bursts onto the scene. While 14-15 slams is quite a bit.. Its not unreachable. THere a few women's players who have a significant more amount than 14 slams. Its just takes one player to dominate. It depends on the competition as well.

WHSTENNIS
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Not sure about Djoker. He shows no signs of returning to his early-08 form. Murray will be a rival IMO to Nadal on Hardcourts and Grass probably for a few years to come. Nadal already has 6. He could manage to double that bearing injury and if he doesnt burn out fast

Say by some miracle Fed wins the next to wimbys then he retires by then Murray and maybe djoker are ready to take the wimby and HC titles away from nadal.

clayman2000
04-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Too many players is:
Nadal - who he plays well against
Federer
Murray
Djokovic - who hes shown he can beat

I'd say after those four, hes the next best player in a tournament with a shot of winning. He probably wont, but hes got a better shot than anyone besides those 4. Of course clay is different

cadillac303
04-07-2009, 05:55 PM
actually Roddick does have an outside shot at Wimbeldon with several IFs happening or the us open if he can get out of Feds draw

There would have to be about a thousand HUGE IF's for that to happen.

Wimbledon --> not gonna happen

tudwell
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Rafael Nadal- 14
Roger Federer- 16
Novak Djokovic- 3
Andy Murray- 0
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 1
Juan Martin del Potro- 0
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 0

egn
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Roddick looks a lot better than he has in previous years I would favor him over Murray on grass no offense, Roddick has made two wimby finals and if he is on his game is much better for grass that Murray. However him beating Fed or Nadal at wimby probably not happening.

Nadalfan89
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Rafael Nadal- 18
Roger Federer- 14
Novak Djokovic-2
Andy Murray- 2
Nikolay Davydenko- 0
Andy Roddick- 1
Juan Martin del Potro- 0
Gilles Simon-0
Fernando Verdasco- 0
Gael Monfils- 1 (Maybe a FO)