PDA

View Full Version : Federer should play more doubles?

bdawg
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Should Federer play more doubles to get a feel for the court? to get back into game shape? what are your thoughts?

tennispro2388
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I think that's a good idea so long as it doesn't interrupt his singles schedule. It will help him work on the backhand return (you can't really chip returns back in doubles because the ball floats) and it will sharpen his net game and clutch serving. It will also allow him more chances to work on putting the ball away without committing UE.

dextor
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Maybe, I just think he needs to win something bad right now, get his confidence back. Not that I'm saying he's going to win playing doubles.

bdawg
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
it seemingly helped him last year to win the USO. It should definitely give him return, serving and volleying practice. I don't think it would be too much of a strain either given that doubles matches are shorter now.

bladepdb
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes.

(10 chars)

CCNM
04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
why not?:)

mandy01
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
for some reason Roger playing doubles always reminds me of the Olympic victory with Stan...Those tears in his eyes during the presentation ceremony when the Swiss national anthem was being played...lol
Anyway,back on the topic-yes, playing doubles wouldnt hurt.But it depends on his schedule and fitness ...

Bottle Rocket
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Should Federer play more doubles to get a feel for the court? to get back into game shape? what are your thoughts?

To get a feel for the court? Does Federer lack a feel for the court? Is that really his issue? Must be great to be a 13-time slam champion and have no feel for the court... Imagine what could have been.

Whether he does or doesn't I am not going to argue, because the whole idea is ridiculuos, but I think the idea that singles players need to play doubles to improve, get back on track, learn how to volley, blah blah, etc.., is a complete myth and total nonsense.

I also don't agree with all the posters who say "it can't hurt". I think it could. Winning a doubles match or a doubles tournament is not going to help him on the singles court, especially when his struggle has a lot to do with footwork. He is missing routine forehands from the middle of the court on a regular basis, I don't think doubles is going to help him. I think he needs time on the practice court and some more big victories. I don't think focusing energy on time on the doubles court is going to do his single's game any good. There are few rewards and significant risk for him, at this point.

Finally, getting back into game shape? Of the last two slams, he won one, and lost in 5 sets in the final of the other. He just lost a semifinal to the number 3 player in the world. He may be in a slump and might not be playing well for the standard he previously set for himself, but I don't think he is out of "game shape". Roddick probably doesn't think he's out of "game shape".

Give the guy a break. Give him a chance to figure things out. So, my thoughts? No. Even though everyone on this board is confident they know what Federer should do, it is entirely possible that Roger knows what is best for himself. It is possible.

bdawg
04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
To get a feel for the court? Does Federer lack a feel for the court? Is that really his issue? Must be great to be a 13-time slam champion and have no feel for the court... Imagine what could have been.

Whether he does or doesn't I am not going to argue, because the whole idea is ridiculuos, but I think the idea that singles players need to play doubles to improve, get back on track, learn how to volley, blah blah, etc.., is a complete myth and total nonsense.

I also don't agree with all the posters who say "it can't hurt". I think it could. Winning a doubles match or a doubles tournament is not going to help him on the singles court, especially when his struggle has a lot to do with footwork. He is missing routine forehands from the middle of the court on a regular basis, I don't think doubles is going to help him. I think he needs time on the practice court and some more big victories. I don't think focusing energy on time on the doubles court is going to do his single's game any good. There are few rewards and significant risk for him, at this point.

Finally, getting back into game shape? Of the last two slams, he won one, and lost in 5 sets in the final of the other. He just lost a semifinal to the number 3 player in the world. He may be in a slump and might not be playing well for the standard he previously set for himself, but I don't think he is out of "game shape". Roddick probably doesn't think he's out of "game shape".

Give the guy a break. Give him a chance to figure things out. So, my thoughts? No. Even though everyone on this board is confident they know what Federer should do, it is entirely possible that Roger knows what is best for himself. It is possible.

You make some good points -- especially regarding the forehand. however, his mental state is affected. I would personally would like to see him play more doubles to take some pressure off his singles. It seems like he's thinking too much out there and not using his instincts. Maybe playing some doubles will distract him.

shadows
04-07-2009, 11:24 AM

The only really plausible reason I can see for Fed playing doubles is to play competitive tennis without the pressure on, if he's got the right partner and enjoys his time on court I think it'd potentially be good for his mental state.

I don't see it happening though, he's already cutting events out of his schedule so he can manage the big ones better, if he was to player more tennis I'd imagine he'd take on more singles tournaments again rather than get involved in the doubles.

DunlopDood
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
You want a guy who consistently goes deep into tournaments to start playing more doubles? I'm sorry but this is a bad idea. Maybe you're at that age where you can pretty much eat anything and exercise heavily without breaking a sweat, but believe me once you start turning 28 you kinda begin to slow down a tad and your body wont recover as quickly after a strenuous work out.

His problem is that he's getting a bit on in years (in tennis terms), and after all we are we are discussing a game of millimeters. This in turn leads to a loss in confidence and a rise in his opponents beliefs that they can actually beat him. His best bet would be to stick to singles and perhaps the occasional doubles match.

Leublu tennis
04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I think he should. Federer was a terrific doubles player at one time. Up to the time he got into top 10, he was ranked somewhere in the 20's in doubles. Thats really, really good. Then as he hit #1, his ranking quickly dropped into 100s, 200s etc. And he is now ranked #557.

egn
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Fed should only play doubles to work on his volleys and be forced to hit every shot with his backhand..lol

Seriously though it can't hurt but I don't see it helping his singles game at all? Maybe his confidence.

roundiesee
04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Good thread, good points from both sides of the argument. I generally would agree that playing doubles won't really help Federer, except for the fact that it DID help one player a lot- Johnny Mac! He famously said he liked playing doubles because he hated practising, and he felt it sharpened up his singles game and his volleying. But still, it may not work for other players, particularly Roger....

pound cat
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Let's face it, at the age of 27 Federer is going thorugh a mid-life/career crisis. Until Federer gets "no-confidence" erased from his brain, no amount of doubles is going to help.

Trying to regain confidence when you keep repeating the same cycle which leads to another loss (crucial set fall-apart in Federer) only leads to more self-doubt. And that forehand will continue to dog him until some elusive thing sparks his brain, no matter how many times Mirka says he's still the greatest.

Riight now Federer is in a self-perpetuating loss mode.

See:Safin classic no confidence no tennis/results.

It's hard to watch. And rather sad.

BullDogTennis
04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
anything to get his mind right would help him. maybe he should get into marathon running? or golf?