PDA

View Full Version : How good would Ancic have been?

egn
04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
How good would Ancic have been without mono?
Do you think he could have made a difference in the state of things?

Personally I think he would have been top 10 with an outside shot at top 5. I think he would be making good runs on grass and would have a wimby final. Outside shot of him pulling a win at 2008-2010 but thats absolute best. I see him however making good runs and grabbing a master shield or two.

tudwell
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I think he would have been a poor man's Ivanisevic: the only slam in which he performs well is Wimbledon, but without as much success there as Goran. Like you say, maybe a final, but certainly not a win.

Bottle Rocket
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
From what I've seen, he's not going to beat anyone in the top 10 from the baseline. Under pressure, he seems to have some issue getting his serve in and if he's getting them in, they aren't effective as he's capable of hitting them. His movement isn't the greatest either and his strokes have some issues. I haven't seen him step it up in a big match, though I've seen him look pretty deadly against lower ranked players.

SO, without knowing a great deal about his history, I think he would have been exactly where he is right now.

VictorS.
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Possibly top 10...definitely not top 5. He's a big guy with a big serve. But with the way the game is going....quicker, better movers from the baseline...I'm not so sure he would be able to crack top 5, or even top 10. He would have been better served if he were born twenty years earlier.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
ancic career was heading south before mono,

he is a classic example of a talented possible s&v player screwed by slower
courts....there are no youtubes of his wimby run in 2004, but he serves
and volleys on everything, as he did in 2002(beating fed) and 2003.

But watching the 2006 auckland final against neimenen it was clear this
guy had a dilemma...come in after serve or not?

He's talented for sure, but he also 6'5, and against a player like nadal or
blake youznhy fed etc...they are just going to exploit his lack of movement/defensive game easily if he's staying back.

That's my opinion on his career...roddick had simlar dilemma in 2006/2007.

Feņa14
04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
He seemed to make a decision to work strongly on his game from the baseline and it cost him a bit imo. When he first came on the scene he used to come into the net on pretty much everything and he might of been better to stick with it.

He was never going to be a fantastic baseliner but I suppose the slowing down of the courts forced him to stay back but even so, I think there is still room for an out and out serve volleyer at the top of the game.. particularly as it is in his make up.

VictorS.
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
He seemed to make a decision to work strongly on his game from the baseline and it cost him a bit imo. When he first came on the scene he used to come into the net on pretty much everything and he might of been better to stick with it.

He was never going to be a fantastic baseliner but I suppose the slowing down of the courts forced him to stay back but even so, I think there is still room for an out and out serve volleyer at the top of the game.. particularly as it is in his make up.

I think it would be awesome to see a serve & volleyer in the top 5 again. What type of player would it take? Obviously they'll need a huge serve & tremendous movement. I think Tsonga has the tools but he's also got a great baseline game as well. I think it would take a Pat Rafter-type....superb athleticism & a huge kick serve.

BreakPoint
04-07-2009, 11:14 PM
How good would Ancic have been without mono?
Do you think he could have made a difference in the state of things?

Personally I think he would have been top 10 with an outside shot at top 5. I think he would be making good runs on grass and would have a wimby final. Outside shot of him pulling a win at 2008-2010 but thats absolute best. I see him however making good runs and grabbing a master shield or two.
Ancic was already inside the Top 10. He was ranked #7 in the world right before he got mono. It's too bad he's never been the same player again after he got mono. Sound familiar?

jamesblakefan#1
04-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Ancic was already inside the Top 10. He was ranked #7 in the world right before he got mono. It's too bad he's never been the same player again after he got mono. Sound familiar?

No, not really. Fed still won a GS and made 4 GS finals after his bout w/ "mono". Ancic had it much worse, and had it reoccur at least twice if i remember correctly. So no, the two are not similar.

But to answer the question, he still may have been a threat on grass, maybe a Wimbledon Semi or final if lucky, but I don't see him being a GS champ player, even w/o mono, simply not consistent enough from the baseline.

BreakPoint
04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
No, not really. Fed still won a GS and made 4 GS finals after his bout w/ "mono". Ancic had it much worse, and had it reoccur at least twice if i remember correctly. So no, the two are not similar.

But to answer the question, he still may have been a threat on grass, maybe a Wimbledon Semi or final if lucky, but I don't see him being a GS champ player, even w/o mono, simply not consistent enough from the baseline.
Yeah, but Ancic was not winning Grand Slams before mono either, so now he's just playing worse than he was before mono. Whereas, Federer went from winning 3 Grand Slams a year and 4-6 Masters Series and the Master's Cup before mono to winning almost nothing (with the exception of one US Open). I'd say that's a lot worse than he was playing before he got mono.

Cyan
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
This is what real mono does to a player :(

el sergento
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Ancic's biggest problem isn't mono, it's his physique. The guy is way to skinny and lacks muscle. He gets pushed around on the baseline and for 6.5, he doesn't have an overwhelming serve.

He should beef up a notch and get some extra juice on his delivery. With a stronger serve he might forget about out dueling opponents from the baseline and finish at net more often.

OT: he had a window during his peak, right before mono, to get some big wins and gain confidence.

Either way, the guy has a law degree, so he's already quite accomplished.

tacou
04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
was he really heading south? I remember him being top 10 before he went away with illness.

I wouldn't give up on him either, he's been playing fairly well since his return. if he can play the whole season I think 2010 he could make a run at top 10 again, at least stick around top 20 consistently.

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
ancic is one of the greatest next to federer.