PDA

View Full Version : Yes or NO Fed wins FO-GOAT

richied
04-08-2009, 12:43 AM
I thought I'd get this thread in, just incase Fed wins the FO.

If you had a gun to your head and you had to choose 'yes' or 'no' (only, no comments please) to the question below, what would you die hard tennis fans say.

If Fed wins the FO he becomes the GOAT?

I'll start the ball rolling

NO

gj011
04-08-2009, 01:00 AM
No. 10 chars.

vndesu
04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
even as a fan of federer i wouldnt be able to see him win fo.
if he did win FO hed either had to really step his game up like 200% or nadal injured.
but i still say nadal gonna win FO

velkov
04-08-2009, 01:06 AM
yes

Blinkism
04-08-2009, 01:13 AM
No...

This would be a good poll.

thejoe
04-08-2009, 01:38 AM
If he wins it, then yes of course. I don't see how you could disagree.

Gen
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM
No. And he won't win it.

ChanceEncounter
04-08-2009, 01:41 AM
If he wins the French Open, who would have a better resume?

Winners or Errors
04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
I think it'd take more than that. He'd have to pull an Agassi and re-invent himself into another period of dominance, even if it was just for one more year. Has to, at this point, be more than simply winning the French Open.

velkov
04-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I think it'd take more than that. He'd have to pull an Agassi and re-invent himself into another period of dominance, even if it was just for one more year. Has to, at this point, be more than simply winning the French Open.

that's it - exactly

Pirao
04-08-2009, 01:55 AM
If he wins it, yes I would consider him the GOAT. But I don't think he'll win it anytime soon, if at all.

THERAFA
04-08-2009, 01:58 AM

If you had a gun to your head and you had to choose 'yes' or 'no' (only, no comments please) to the question below, what would you die hard tennis fans say.

NO

If Federer wins the French Open he still won't end up with more slams than the Rafa, so it won't matter. The Rafa will retire with the most slams and the head-to-head record and most likely Calender Year Grand slam, so Federer winning RG won't make him GOAT.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-08-2009, 02:02 AM

NO

It's easy to say "just yes or no"

a) fed wins fo but doesn't have toplay nadal
b) fed wins fo beating nadal final.

I say YES to a or b, but I'll think many people will say no if scenario a.

and ofcourse many will say no anyway and bring up laver etc...

if nadal doesn't make the french final to beat fed again...that's his fault.

luckyboy1300
04-08-2009, 03:08 AM
YES! laver's accomplishments are extremely overrated.

Avril_lover7
04-08-2009, 04:23 AM
He beat Nadal before + He beat Nadal on Clay..

then YES!!!

i believe it could happen if the hard work and the smart strategy exists..!

add to that , he wants it so much, to be listed on his accomplishment paper ..

deltox
04-08-2009, 04:27 AM
If Federer wins the French Open he still won't end up with more slams than the Rafa, so it won't matter. The Rafa will retire with the most slams and the head-to-head record and most likely Calender Year Grand slam, so Federer winning RG won't make him GOAT.

FANBOI!!!!!!!

lets try to stay in the season and possibly next since nadal has alot of slams left to win.

deltox
04-08-2009, 04:28 AM
He beat Nadal before + He beat Nadal on Clay..

then YES!!!

i believe it could happen if the hard work and the smart strategy exists..!

add to that , he wants it so much, to be listed on his accomplishment paper ..

everyon forgets miami, Rafa can have bad days. Usually doesnt on FO week but he is human.

fantom
04-08-2009, 04:33 AM
If he wins it by beating Nadal....definitely yes.

If he wins w/o facing Nadal......he's in the conversation, but it's not undisputed.

deltox
04-08-2009, 04:38 AM
tied with Sampras if he wins the french, goat if he wins one more anywhere

10 years from now noone will care if he faced nadal in the finals or not.

Avril_lover7
04-08-2009, 05:12 AM
everyon forgets miami, Rafa can have bad days. Usually doesnt on FO week but he is human.

you have to read my post again,
or i'm the one who didn't get you..! :???:

:)

Avril_lover7
04-08-2009, 05:19 AM

i could believe Rafa can have bad days, if you belive Federer can have bad years..! (seasons)

i ment Federer beat Nadal once on clay + Federer beat Nadal several times before
that means he can win it over Nadal , WHY NOT?

deltox
04-08-2009, 05:33 AM
you have to read my post again,
or i'm the one who didn't get you..! :???:

:)

sorry im struggling to understand your post, my bad.

JediMindTrick
04-08-2009, 05:59 AM
It doesn't matter if I had a gun to my head or not the answer is yes, for sure he is the goat. Even if he doesn't win the FO, if he wins 2 more majors, then he becomes the goat.

AprilFool
04-08-2009, 06:01 AM
tied with Sampras if he wins the french, goat if he wins one more anywhere

10 years from now noone will care if he faced nadal in the finals or not.
Agreed. ..

cknobman
04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Yes(must be Nadal he beats in final though) and until Fed wins FO or has at least 16 GS titles and regains #1 ranking then his chances of being a undisputed GOAT are slim.

(Nadal fans of course say no but who cares anyways they are deluded in their own little world of Nadalism and worshiping him)

THERAFA
04-08-2009, 06:33 AM
FANBOI!!!!!!!

lets try to stay in the season and possibly next since nadal has alot of slams left to win.

Oh yeah stay in the season, like the *******s talking about the Rafa not being able to walk at age 27? Nice try, but the big picture has already been well and truly looked at, and here's your worst nightmare - 2 Calender Year Grand Slams on the horizon.

deltox
04-08-2009, 06:40 AM
2 Calender Year Grand Slams on the horizon.

i wish you were my neighbor,, id take alot of money off you if you dare backed up that last statement

THERAFA
04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I'd have already taken all your money by predicting the Rafa would win Wimbledon 08 and Australian Open 09. You wouldn't have enough money to live in my neighborhood after that, because I had no doubt he'd win both those slams.

deltox
04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
I'd have already taken all your money by predicting the Rafa would win Wimbledon 08 and Australian Open 09. You wouldn't have enough money to live in my neighborhood after that, because I had no doubt he'd win both those slams.

lol, just nm, your a waste of time trying to debate.

THERAFA
04-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Nice finish, thanks for the win.

lordmanji
04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
he can win any slam, tie pete, and be the goat since he's made it to three fo finals.

HodeClassicMP
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
YES, absolutely. He s already a GOAT 3years ago.

P_Agony
04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Nobody will ever become the absolute GOAT, as nobody is perfect. Everyone has their perosnal GOAT however and for me that's Federer, whether he ever wins the FO or never wins a title again, he's earned that honor.

Cyan
04-08-2009, 09:28 AM
No...............

ChanceEncounter
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
If he wins it by beating Nadal....definitely yes.

If he wins w/o facing Nadal......he's in the conversation, but it's not undisputed.
Again, I ask, if he wins the FO, who would have a better resume? All of the champions have struggled to beat a rival before, especially on their weaker surface. Who would you take as a GOAT over Federer if he had 14+ slams and a FO championship?

Unless Rafa wins a bunch more slams, I don't see anyone else that would be ranked ahead of Federer.

vtmike
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
YES!!!!!!! He already is the GOAT for me...

egn
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Open Era wise it would be hard to say he is not the GOAT..yet however if it is not against Rafael Nadal then the case can be easily made. If he does not beat him in his French Open title run than it might be iffy, but if he beats him in the semis or finals (depending on his rank) than what is stopping him from his claim. Accomplishment wise he will have done what Sampras and Borg were unable to do, he will have completed the set, have all four titles and has enough slams to be crowned the king. Of course it would not be 100% but during the open era it would be hard to dispute it. He won two slams 5 years in a row, has 3 Australians and then a french open..it would be tough to make a case against him. He dominated the tour for four years and frankly you could overlook the losing head to head against Murray as Murray is the next big gun and he is no longer at the top of his game. However the head to head with Nadal is still going to be a problem and that might ultimately hurt him in the end. Although on the surface it appears that fact can hurt it, but by beating Nadal in the French Open he could change that. If he wins the French Open without facing Nadal he does not solidify anything and the current debate continues.

ALL-TIME
Whether he wins it beating or not beating Nadal he is not the all time GOAT. Laver accomplished a lot more, won a lot more, had a longer period of dominance and did not have someone he could not conquer. Laver still holds that title, always has and it seems very hard for someone to change that in my eyes. Even Nadal has a way to go. If you count his professional majors with his slams he won about 20 major titles..that is a lot.

slicefox
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Yes! Goat!!

Blade0324
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Nobody will ever become the absolute GOAT, as nobody is perfect. Everyone has their perosnal GOAT however and for me that's Federer, whether he ever wins the FO or never wins a title again, he's earned that honor.

THis post is absolutely spot on. We all have our GOAT and there will be no consensus on that. Well said.
For me I say no he would not be the GOAT even if he wins the French and passes Sampras. For the record I don't think he'll ever win a French and I don't think he'll surpass Sampras.

egn
04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Are you joking?

Talk about moving the goal posts in order to help your argument..

Rod Laver won the FO on a few occassions. Does that mean with your thinking, that his tittles don't count because he didn't play Nadal?

Many feel that way because he has time and time again fallen to Nadal on every surface in slam finals. He has lost to him on all three surfaces. Nadal is 3-0 on him at France and 1-0 at Australia..him having the winning records on 2 surfaces is a problem. He will win the FO but he might still be questioned as his horrible record against Nadal is going to shadow him. He is 1-9 against him on clay and he does not dominate him on a surface..they are 3-3 on hard and 2-1 on grass. So if they are level on 2 surfaces and Nadal crushes him on one and that is the slam he is lacking it would still be great for him to win it, but not beating Nadal in the process might not make him instant great. He needs to conquer his rival on the big stage. I would think it would look better if he won Wimby and US this year beathing Nadal on both occasions and scored two more wins on hard courts against him. Making it 10-13 and even if Nadal gets a win or two on clay this year making it 10-15 at least he claims winning records on two surfaces. The French Open is the icing on the cake..but if he does not fix the Nadal problem there will be no cake.

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 07:45 PM
federer has got the FO sown up already.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
^^^ I agree above,, it's the major issue right now....goal posts or not.

If fed beats pete's record but has a losing head to head (say 3-7 or so)
with nadal, how can we claim he is goat when he wasn't even best in his
own era. and if he wins french without facing rafa, people will say (*)

The idea is to "master" all surfaces...something laver fanboys refer to.

PS: laver resume is not without asterisks either, after turning pro in 63 he
got his butt kicked by gonzales and other pros....the pro-amatuer war.

Having said that i agree he is my goat as it stands...great player.

this is all hypotheitcal, unless he serves and volleys, he wont win french:shock::twisted:

VivalaVida
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
that would be a huge Yes! :D but i doubt it is gonna happen

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
i know you would agree.

saram
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I cannot believe there is no poll with this posed question....

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
no poll needed. federer is guaranteed FO.

saram
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
that would be a huge Yes! :D but i doubt it is gonna happen

I agree....

But then someone else comes along and the GOAT discussion once again opens up.

saram
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
There will never be a GOAT. Period.

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
fed is guaranteed FO.

helloworld
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
There will never be a GOAT. Period.
Even if there is a GOAT, it's not going to be a guy with pathetic 13-6 record against his main rival. A GOAT is not number 2 of his generation. He must be the best and only the best of his generation first and foremost.

COPEY
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Open Era wise it would be hard to say he is not the GOAT..yet however if it is not against Rafael Nadal then the case can be easily made. If he does not beat him in his French Open title run than it might be iffy, but if he beats him in the semis or finals (depending on his rank) than what is stopping him from his claim. Accomplishment wise he will have done what Sampras and Borg were unable to do, he will have completed the set, have all four titles and has enough slams to be crowned the king. Of course it would not be 100% but during the open era it would be hard to dispute it. He won two slams 5 years in a row, has 3 Australians and then a french open..it would be tough to make a case against him. He dominated the tour for four years and frankly you could overlook the losing head to head against Murray as Murray is the next big gun and he is no longer at the top of his game. However the head to head with Nadal is still going to be a problem and that might ultimately hurt him in the end. Although on the surface it appears that fact can hurt it, but by beating Nadal in the French Open he could change that. If he wins the French Open without facing Nadal he does not solidify anything and the current debate continues.

ALL-TIME
Whether he wins it beating or not beating Nadal he is not the all time GOAT. Laver accomplished a lot more, won a lot more, had a longer period of dominance and did not have someone he could not conquer. Laver still holds that title, always has and it seems very hard for someone to change that in my eyes. Even Nadal has a way to go. If you count his professional majors with his slams he won about 20 major titles..that is a lot.

I typically stay away from these types of threads, however, I definitely found your opinion interesting to read--several well-made points to consider.

jamesblakefan#1
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I do not think that Federer can be GOAT, as he did not face a high level of competition throughout his career, compared to greats like Laver, Borg, Connors, and Sampras. As the level of the opponents in his career has risen Fed hasn't been as effective as when he was facing the likes of Hewitt and Roddick in GS finals. That combined with his under .500 record vs. Nadal and Murray to me dont make him the GOAT.

carlos djackal
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
if he wins it which I am sure he won't then I have to say YES....

Avril_lover7
04-09-2009, 12:44 AM
sorry im struggling to understand your post, my bad.

got it, or not yet? !

THERAFA
04-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I wanna know where you will be when Rafa doesn't play like you want him to in the future..

I bet you will slowly dissapear and then jump on the next good thing to come along!

lol..........

You might be describing your own attitude, but you can't speak for me. I supported Agassi his WHOLE career, in fact I was even more supportive of him when he was ranked 140 in 1997 than when he was winning 3 slams in 9 months in 99-2000. And then when I supported Nadal he was a rookie and nobody was thinking of him winning anything but the French Open. I knew he had Federer's number though from the start when he beat him on hardcourt as a 17-year-old, and it was easy to predict he'd be winning Aust Open and US Opens. But I think the fact I was an Agassi fan for so long indicates how willing I am to support the rollercoaster and never leave it.

THERAFA
04-09-2009, 02:21 AM
THis post is absolutely spot on. We all have our GOAT and there will be no consensus on that. Well said.
For me I say no he would not be the GOAT even if he wins the French and passes Sampras. For the record I don't think he'll ever win a French and I don't think he'll surpass Sampras.

Tennis has never had a GOAT in my book. To be GOAT you have to have the 'total slams record' AND the 'career grand slam'. And if we ever have more than one player with both these then it comes down to who has the 'calendar year grand slam' etc.

Oblique
04-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Yessssss......FEDERER IS SURE TO WIN THE GRAND SLAM!!! Roland Garros is the ONLY and PRIMARY CAUSE!!!:cool:8)

THERAFA
04-09-2009, 02:39 AM
If he desires to be GOAT, Federer has to think about a lot more than RG, he needs to win substantially more slams than Sampras, because Nadal is going to win A LOT.

orangettecoleman
04-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes. Combine a career slam with equalling the all-time slam record and you'd be hard pressed to argue against it. At worst it would make him pass Sampras and equal Laver, IMO.

Sephiroth619
04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, if he wins FO next year after a Sampras tie'ing GS win.

RFtennis
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
yes, but i believe he is already is GOAT

samprasvsfederer123
04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
yes hw wins goat because vs nadal both in prime federer is much more better and much more complete in a whole than nadal or sampras nadal is beating federer because feds over but did u ever see nadal do anything in hard courts or in grass in fedex's prime no nadal in the long run mite end up wining more grandslams than pete or fedex but fedex will always be the best because he was more whole its like fedex the best of hard court pete the best of grass and nadal the best of clay but federer is more complete, sampras sucked in clay fedex doesnt and nadal won wimbledon because its slower!!

Ronny
04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
No, because he won't win it :)

clayman2000
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
If he won the FO in 09, which i don't think hell ever do i would still place him behind Laver.

deltox
04-09-2009, 05:51 PM

this is all hypotheitcal, unless he serves and volleys, he wont win french:shock::twisted:

It will not be a problem with a bad head ot head though in reality. like i sated before on this thread, in ten years all anyone will count are

shields
slams
grand slams
career slams and such that you guys are using to pick your GOAT

noone mentions head to heads after a few years of retirement

martini1
04-09-2009, 07:03 PM
No...until he wins #15 and have a winning record against Nadal he can't become THE Goat.

luckyboy1300
04-09-2009, 09:15 PM

just because nadal has a positive h2h automatically makes him the best in federer's era? including 04-07? some of the logic posted in these boards are really ridiculous.

helloworld
04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
just because nadal has a positive h2h automatically makes him the best in federer's era? including 04-07? some of the logic posted in these boards are really ridiculous.
It's not just a positive H2H. It's a total domination to the point that calling it a rivalry would be laughable. AND many of those H2H are GRAND SLAM FINALS! Nadal owns Federer, period!

breadstick
04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes. More GOAT-worthy than Sampras anyway.

helloworld
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes. More GOAT-worthy than Sampras anyway.

But he's not going the win the FO anyway, so who cares?

Ripster
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Definitely yes. Would tie him for the GS record with Pete and he'd have won on all surfaces pushing him ahead into GOAT category.

Tennis_Bum
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Don't be so sure, a lot of things can happen. Perhaps, he can but until he gets close then you can say all of that but he currently has 6. Injuries can happen to anyone any time. Nothing is guarantee.

As for Fed to win FO, man that's is a miracle for him. As for this year goes, I don't see how he can win a slam, let alone FO. Even if Nadal doesn't get to the Final, that's a big stretch, he has to get there and has to win the final. A lot of players can take Fed this year, or at least they think they can.

NotSoSuper
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
yes... poll?

srinrajesh
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
No
He couldnt do it unless Nadal gets injured

luckyboy1300
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
It's not just a positive H2H. It's a total domination to the point that calling it a rivalry would be laughable. AND many of those H2H are GRAND SLAM FINALS! Nadal owns Federer, period!

so what? that doesn't make nadal the best in fed's era just because of the h2h. nadal isn't even close yet to achieve a single year that federer has acheived in those 4 years of total domination.

AndrewD
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Definitely yes. Would tie him for the GS record with Pete and he'd have won on all surfaces pushing him ahead into GOAT category.

Not a chance. Greatest of those players who never competed while there was an amateur-professional divide (probably starts with Connors, Vilas and Borg ) - possibly, but absolutely no chance of being the greatest of all time without a Grand Slam in the resume.

GOAT = Grand Slam winner.

14 majors including one French Open doesn't come close to equalling that.

baseline08thrasher
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
NO.

Nadal will stop him.

Federer is going downhill right now, and there are too many other great clay courters out there that can stop him also.

The variables are just against federer on clay.

Some other clay court "specialists" could beat Fed on a good day.

Even though federer is underrated on clay.

My 2 cents.