PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt Federer Playing Monte Carlo?

Jimmyk459
04-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Ummm... what the hell does he think that he is doing? He needs all the matches he can get. He needs to play there.

Reason??

velkov
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
is that official ???

fps
04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Ummm... what the hell does he think that he is doing? He needs all the matches he can get. He needs to play there.

Reason??

playing *matches* since the AO his game has gone to hell. downtime will allow him to practise a few things, or works on his fitness and footwork. it will let him rest his back, which judging by his serve isn't at 100%, and it will allow him to spend some time away from the cameras with his pregnant girlfriend.

Blinkism
04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
It's an odd choice, given the fact that he's just dropping 700 ranking points like nothing.

Maybe he's not keen to take another whooping in the final from the king of clay?

Gen
04-08-2009, 01:45 AM
He said that he'd skip Monte Carlo in December to reduce the number of tournaments played and concentrate on slams. IMO he is skipping another beating from Nadal.

Pirao
04-08-2009, 02:19 AM
He wants to concentrate on the slams that's all. Regaining #1 at this point is very difficult, he should just concentrate on trying to win Wimbledon to tie the record, IMO.

THERAFA
04-08-2009, 03:05 AM
I was pretty sure I heard him say he wanted the number one ranking back.

Pirao
04-08-2009, 03:14 AM
I was pretty sure I heard him say he wanted the number one ranking back.

That's just speaking to the media I think, but deep down he knows he can't regain #1 unless a miracle happens.

illkhiboy
04-08-2009, 03:24 AM
How does this Monte Carlo thing work anyway? It's a 1000 Masters but apparently the event's not mandatory. If a player misses the event voluntarily does he have a chance of gaining the loss points by playing another event (like a 250/500)?

deltox
04-08-2009, 04:23 AM
How does this Monte Carlo thing work anyway? It's a 1000 Masters but apparently the event's not mandatory. If a player misses the event voluntarily does he have a chance of gaining the loss points by playing another event (like a 250/500)?

missing 1k events cause you to loose percentage of your year end bonus. to my understanding you can skip one per year without any grief but you still loose approx 30% of your year end bonus which is around 1.4 mil for #2 ranking. However, you cannot skip the same event 2 years in a row.

i have no facts in front of me about this but, in my guess, and in my experience, becoming a father and his GFs belly grows may start weighing on his mind more than tennis. i expect him to miss tons of events this year cept slams and next year will be a total ruin for him as he will be a new dad.

i also expect the very same thing to cause him MASSIVE problems at the USO

theduh
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
He said that he'd skip Monte Carlo in December to reduce the number of tournaments played and concentrate on slams. IMO he is skipping another beating from Nadal.

Very classy indeed! To OP thanks for starting another Fed bashing thread! Now all we have to do is wait for Fed haters to populate this thread with none sense and garbage post. Honestly I don't understand the reason as well and the fact that he will loose 700 points but as he said during the post Djoker match at Miami nothing is set in stone, so based on that I hope that he shows up (fingers crossed).

fastdunn
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Federer wanted to change his preparation for French Open (since it did not work for many years).

He wanted to reduce number of tournaments before French Open unlike past years when he went full force in clay season.

But there is a possibility of playing Monta Carlo anyway since he had slightly less workout in spring hard court season, maybe ??

Big Tigger
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Hes out cause he shattered his racquet in Miami, so he has no racquet to play with anymore LOL

Challenger
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
is that official ???

Look up the transcript/video of his post-match interview after losing to Djokovic. I'm pretty sure he also mentioned it there that he'd be skipping it.

tacou
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought Federer or Djokovic said in a post match interview at Miami that only 2 of the 3 clay AMS are mandatory, meaning a player must choose 2 of the 3 to attend. any truth to this?

because a few players in the top 20 are skipping Monte and not playing until Rome (Roddick) or Barcelona (Tsonga)

CCNM
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
missing 1k events cause you to loose percentage of your year end bonus. to my understanding you can skip one per year without any grief but you still loose approx 30% of your year end bonus which is around 1.4 mil for #2 ranking. However, you cannot skip the same event 2 years in a row.

i have no facts in front of me about this but, in my guess, and in my experience, becoming a father and his GFs belly grows may start weighing on [/B[B]]his mind more than tennis. i expect him to miss tons of events this year cept slams and next year will be a total ruin for him as he will be a new dad.

i also expect the very same thing to cause him MASSIVE problems at the USO
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks this!:) Also somebody on another forum said he should probably shy away from the public, perhaps that will help his game.

rubberduckies
04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I thought Federer or Djokovic said in a post match interview at Miami that only 2 of the 3 clay AMS are mandatory, meaning a player must choose 2 of the 3 to attend. any truth to this?

because a few players in the top 20 are skipping Monte and not playing until Rome (Roddick) or Barcelona (Tsonga)

They just meant that Monte Carlo wasn't mandatory. It isn't a choice. Monte Carlo was slated to be downgraded along with Hamburg, but there was enough protest that I guess they've kinda met halfway on the issue. It's a non-mandatory Masters event.

As for Federer, he probably feels that he's been consistent enough on clay the last few years to the point where extra preparation isn't gonna help him that much. He's opted for the extra rest, hoping that that will given him best chances for success.

nikdom
04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
As for Federer, he probably feels that he's been consistent enough on clay the last few years to the point where extra preparation isn't gonna help him that much. He's opted for the extra rest, hoping that that will given him best chances for success.

Makes sense. More rest = success OR rest = excuse-for-loss (blame rustiness). Its a win-win choice.

RalphNYC
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks this!:) Also somebody on another forum said he should probably shy away from the public, perhaps that will help his game.

What forum is that? I'm looking for something with a little less Fed/Nadal supremacy fighting

bluetrain4
04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
It's an odd choice, given the fact that he's just dropping 700 ranking points like nothing.

Maybe he's not keen to take another whooping in the final from the king of clay?

I think he's beyond being worried about his ranking. He's a champion, he wants to win Slams again. Sure, he'd like to get to No. 1 again, but I doubt it's his priority.

Who knows, maybe it will do him some good - allow him to come into Roland Garros fresher. Also, if he doesn't play, he can't lose. That may sound ridiculous since he also won't get any match play, at this point a lot of what's going on with Fed is between the ears.

rubberduckies
04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Fed's only 2180 points ahead of Murray right now, so he's kinda risking his #2 spot by doing this.

He'll also lose 700 points for giving up his Hamburg final, which leaves only 780 points separating him and Andy.

Murray has only 210 points from Monte Carlo and Rome. Combine that with the new Madrid event, and Murray could very possibly take the #2 spot before Roland Garros if he has a strong clay season. That would mean Roger could be facing a double bagel as early as the semis of the French.

tudwell
04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Fed's only 2180 points ahead of Murray right now, so he's kinda risking his #2 spot by doing this.

He'll also lose 700 points for giving up his Hamburg final, which leaves only 780 points separating him and Andy.

Murray has only 210 points from Monte Carlo and Rome. Combine that with the new Madrid event, and Murray could very possibly take the #2 spot before Roland Garros if he has a strong clay season. That would mean Roger could be facing a double bagel as early as the semis of the French.

Federer has the chance to defend his Hamburg final at Madrid. Murray would practically need a miracle to take number 2 before the French.

Morrissey
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
If there had to be one to skip I would have skipped Madrid since it's the furthest from conditions in Paris. Monte Carlo is possibly the closest to being French Open conditions, same clay, weather, altitude, ambience, etc. than any of the other clay courts events on the calendar. Roma is fast and Madrid is in high altitude.

But seeing Fed's mental state after Miami it's probably a sensible decision to skip it. If he were to face Nadal again and suffer another lopsided defeat it would be the last thing he needs for his clay court preparation.

Fedace
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
It is mistake for Roger to skip this event. now watch Roger lose in early rounds at the french open.

CCNM
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
What forum is that? I'm looking for something with a little less Fed/Nadal supremacy fighting

www.centrecourtmag.com

Nadal_Freak
04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
It's pretty simple. Federer is tired of getting owned by Nadal there.

alonsin
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
If there had to be one to skip I would have skipped Madrid since it's the furthest from conditions in Paris. Monte Carlo is possibly the closest to being French Open conditions, same clay, weather, altitude, ambience, etc. than any of the other clay courts events on the calendar. Roma is fast and Madrid is in high altitude.

But seeing Fed's mental state after Miami it's probably a sensible decision to skip it. If he were to face Nadal again and suffer another lopsided defeat it would be the last thing he needs for his clay court preparation.

Madrid is a must. A beautiful city, good weather, pretty ballgirls and above all me in the stands. I really don't see a reason to skip it

rubberduckies
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Madrid is a must. A beautiful city, good weather, pretty ballgirls and above all me in the stands. I really don't see a reason to skip it

The Madrid ballgirls would just remind Roger that he's now chained down by Mirka and her mini-Me.

P_Agony
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Very classy indeed! To OP thanks for starting another Fed bashing thread! Now all we have to do is wait for Fed haters to populate this thread with none sense and garbage post. Honestly I don't understand the reason as well and the fact that he will loose 700 points but as he said during the post Djoker match at Miami nothing is set in stone, so based on that I hope that he shows up (fingers crossed).

I agree, and that post was coming from Gen, a poster who's always complaining about Federer fanboys and wants to have a normal forum.

Morrissey
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I have no problem with Madrid, it's all of those things you listed. I plan to move there with my wife someday. But this thread isn't about that. If I were Fed I would skip Madrid instead of Monte Carlo. If I had to skip any.

Morrissey
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
The Madrid ballgirls would just remind Roger that he's now chained down by Mirka and her mini-Me.

Last I checked he doesn't have a ring on his finger.

Nadal_Freak
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I have no problem with Madrid, it's all of those things you listed. I plan to move there with my wife someday. But this thread isn't about that. If I were Fed I would skip Madrid instead of Monte Carlo. If I had to skip any.
Agreed. The altitude makes it very bad preparation for Roland Garros. Too bad they didn't choose Barcelona for the Masters Series.

gj011
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
The problem with skipping Madrid is that Madrid is a mandatory tournament while MC is not.

Morrissey
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Agreed. The altitude makes it very bad preparation for Roland Garros. Too bad they didn't choose Barcelona for the Masters Series.

I dunno, Hamburg was fine. Besides I hate Barcelona and their people. Some of the nastiest people you'll ever meet. And I live in NY. :shock:

alonsin
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM

I know, I was just joking. It's unfortunate, because I guess several players are going to actually skip the tournament. Apparently the altitude does make a difference, even though it's only 600 metres, and there's only one week between Madrid and RG.

At least I'm pretty sure all the spaniards will be there, including Nadal. I know he was a little ambiguous in his post match interview at IW, but the pressure from the press, the sponsors and the spanish federation is going to be very strong. They were even thinking about naming the main court after him, but I don't know if that is official.

Back to the topic, I find it normal that Federer starts to play less tournaments. At this point slams are the only thing that count, and he's not 22 any more. Besides, as other posters have said, playing all three clay MS didn't help him to win RG, so there's nothing wrong with trying different things. Even though we all know the outcome is going to be similar.

Serve_Ace
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
"Why isn't Federer playing Monte Carlo"
...... HOW ARE WE SUPPOSE TO KNOW????
None of us have personal connections with Roger so why bother making a thread asking this question?

CCNM
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
ROFLMAO!!! that's a good one ducky :lol:

Pirao
04-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Come on guys, you really think the difference in altitude will really affect Nadal at RG? All the other guys will have to face the same problem, and Nadal is so better than everyone else on clay that even if one guy skips it for RG, so what? maybe Nadal will lose 1 set and that's about it :twisted:.

tomas9848
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
when did this happen?

Tony48
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
"Why isn't Federer playing Monte Carlo"
...... HOW ARE WE SUPPOSE TO KNOW????
None of us have personal connections with Roger so why bother making a thread asking this question?

Defensive much?

Serve_Ace
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Defensive much?

Not really, don't you just find it weird why do people find the need to ask question that no one has the answers to?

FEDERER>buttpicker.
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM
federer is obviously too good for monte carlo.

ford oliver
04-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Look for Roger to take a last minute wildcard into Monte
Carlo.

oy vey
04-09-2009, 05:37 AM
ATP - MONTE CARLO

Dear Fans

I have decided to accept a wildcard into the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters tournament that begins on Monday. I will head there this weekend to start the clay court season.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support.

All the best,

Roger

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/roger...fm?uNewsID=886

theduh
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
I agree, and that post was coming from Gen, a poster who's always complaining about Federer fanboys and wants to have a normal forum.

Funny isn't it? Anyway at least majority of the post are not about Fed being severed with bagel and breadsticks! I just hope that Fed gets back in to his grove and wins MC to gain some confidence back. Hey you might want to join in the fun see link http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=254587

No player bashing here just pure fun :).

Jimmyk459
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
To Serve_ace

I asked the question because alot of times, people will find information on the internet regarding these questions. Also... it is interesting to promote speculation... which is the majority of what these forums represent.

It really was not a stupid question...

Serve_Ace
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
To Serve_ace

I asked the question because alot of times, people will find information on the internet regarding these questions. Also... it is interesting to promote speculation... which is the majority of what these forums represent.

It really was not a stupid question...

I'm really sorry Jimmy....it's just that these types of question bring a lot Federer haters into these types of threads and start making silly claims and it irritates me, I know that you don't mean any harm.

RFtennis
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I just think he wants to work on his game. Practise for French Open. Maybe he doesnt want to risk getting injured for french open if his muscles are feeling tight or something.

No big problem..