PDA

View Full Version : Was the Wilson Graphite Matrix considered a powerful racquet?

Caloi
04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
My dad dropped his newly acquired Matriices today for me to take a look at and go hit with. I wasn't very impressed. These are the black with red and white details. They seems much more powerful than my Edges and even as powerful as my M-fils, maybe more. (This may be a good thing for him though)

I'm going to try to restring one and see if I can get it under control a little bit, however the current set up was at 60 pounds.

Also, anyone want to help me out in the other thread? http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=252704

meowmix
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Powerful? I don't think so. At least, any power from the racket is delivered through the massive plough through. I have found that the racket has an insanely large sweet spot though...

Caloi
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Powerful? I don't think so. At least, any power from the racket is delivered through the massive plough through. I have found that the racket has an insanely large sweet spot though...

That's right, you play with these, don't you? I just wasn't to fond for some reason. Balls seemed to really fly off this racquet. Maybe my Edges are just dead as heck and that's why I can really take a big cut with it and not worry too much about my balls hitting the back fence. I'll restring the Matrix i hit with today and try it again. These will be mine next year since my dad will be out for knee surgery and doesn't want to go back to tennis afterward.

pshulam
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I have two of them. They are definitely not powerful.

plasma
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I found the black one dead as heck. Brilliantly underpowered like it's t'ai chi master cousin the affluent ps 85. really good performance, can't wait to try the grey one again after 20 years!

meowmix
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
In response to Caloi- balls flying? The only time I've found my shots flying on me was when I didn't set up correctly for a shot. Even when I absolutely whale my shots, then still land right where I want them to. I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but the black matrix seems to be a "trust" racket. If I trust that the racket will let me land my shots where I want them, they do. If I start questioning myself/the racket, things start to get messy... Perhaps it's all mental? Oh, and I've also found that the rackets respond best at the lower end of the recommended tension range. Even still, that's pretty high (60 pounds ish). It's a little surprising to find that these rackets were meant to be strung at 65 +/-5 pounds...

Plasma, underpowered? I really didn't think it was underpowered, considering that there was some massive plough through... Then again, I haven't played with any other rackets from that era, so I can't really compare. I will say that the black matrices that I have are much more powerful than both the TT Warrior MP and the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP that I own.

Caloi
04-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reply MM. I'll restring one of these this weekend and see if i can tame it a bit.

As for being mental, I've been really concentrating on taking my mental game to a different level compared to last year. I've read a few books on the subject and have implemented some of the info toward my game.

The day i took these out we were just hitting rallies, as opposed to playing match points. I just noticed that right away I was hitting long on everything. I played for about 15 minutes and switched right back to the Edge and found all the control I needed.

I'll try again after I string one up with something from this decade and see if it's different/better.

matchmaker
04-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I have a few Wilson Reflex mids, which basically come from the same mold as the Matrix, but with added PWS.

The first time I used them, I had the same experience as you: balls sailing on me.

But I did feel the racquet gripped the ball well enough so that changing the launch angle should bring the ball back into play.

Once I did the necessary adaptations, I was blowing most of my opponents off the court.

I believe the power of these frames comes from the weight and weight distribution (read: high swingweight).

But they do control the ball very well once you get the hang of it.

plasma
04-11-2009, 09:44 AM
wow, it's a racquet...I thought it was a lonely child waiting in the pa-arrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQnqNLeiWKw
this was going to be a very "sexy" reply but plasma's trusty camera just broke. I will use astral projection to "send" pics of my wilson reflex...to see them simply click on the thrird eye chakra and download while middle finger and thumb join to make the midsize mudra....."Besonders Armoshend" is a great mantra if the image appears fuzzy on your "grid"...enjoy!!!