PDA

View Full Version : Ruling: low ball clips post and comes into play

tennisdad65
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
The following situation happened in a friendly doubles get together match:
My opponent hit a low forehand from outside the doubles alley. If the net was tightly wrapped to the post, the ball would not get through. But, there is a gap between the post and the net. The ball clipped the inside of the net post below the level of the net, (i.e. went through the gap between the net and the post) and fell into our court for a winner.

no one knew what the ruling was so we replayed the point. what is the correct ruling?

woodrow1029
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
The following situation happened in a friendly doubles get together match:
My opponent hit a low forehand from outside the doubles alley. If the net was tightly wrapped to the post, the ball would not get through. But, there is a gap between the post and the net. The ball clipped the inside of the net post below the level of the net, (i.e. went through the gap between the net and the post) and fell into our court for a winner.

no one knew what the ruling was so we replayed the point. what is the correct ruling?
If it went through between the net post and the net, the player that hit the ball loses the point.

woodrow1029
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
The ball can go around the net post below the height of the net, but not between the post and the net.

tennisdad65
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
thanks woodrow..
that makes sense, since it would be a netted ball if the net is tied well to the post.

mikeler
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Makes sense.

saram
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
JCF hit a shot at Wimbledon a year or two ago that hit the net post and came back into play--they ruled it a winner for JCF....

woodrow1029
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
JCF hit a shot at Wimbledon a year or two ago that hit the net post and came back into play--they ruled it a winner for JCF....
Yes, but it hit the post and went over the net. In the OP's question, the ball went through the gap between the post and the net.

And, while on the subject of a ball hitting the post and going in, if it happens on a groundstroke, the point continues and if it happens on a serve, it's a fault.

saram
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, but it hit the post and went over the net. In the OP's question, the ball went through the gap between the post and the net.

And, while on the subject of a ball hitting the post and going in, if it happens on a groundstroke, the point continues and if it happens on a serve, it's a fault.

No, it did not go over the net....

woodrow1029
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
No, it did not go over the net....
Then where did it go?

saram
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Actually Blake hit it. Through the net/post for a winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOmVGZJQ80

woodrow1029
04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Actually Blake hit it. Through the net/post for a winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOmVGZJQ80
The umpire made a mistake. I think he didn't realize that it went through it. Should be Ferrero's point. Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen that one.

saram
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
The umpire made a mistake. I think he didn't realize that it went through it. Should be Ferrero's point. Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen that one.

I think there was heavy discussion here following the point and the general consensus was that it should have been JCF's point and the Umpire made a mistake.

Geezer Guy
04-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Actually, you can hear the commentator stating that that should NOT be Blakes point.

NE14Tennis?
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think the ump realized that it went through the net/post gap - in real-time, it looks almost like it bounced off the post just atop the net. With the ump directly above, I'd bet he couldn't see it clearly. But yes, it was a mistake.