PDA

View Full Version : Snauwaert Midplus Wood

Capt. Willie
04-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Do any of you racquet collectors/experts know anything about this racquet TW has in the Vintage Boswoth Collection? http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBOS-SWWUFMP.html Since it says "midplus" I assume the head on it is larger than what was on the Jack Kramer Midsize or the Borg Pro Midsize. Anything you guys could tell me about this racquet would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/SWWUFMP-1.JPG

Mick
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
i don't know anything about this racquet but i love its simplistic look.

Capt. Willie
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes, it does have a nice simplistic look to it. However, TW calls it "unfinished" so I assume it would have had some graphics and/or model name added...and maybe some of those ribbon stripe things on the lower section of the head.

Anyway, I know this might be tough looking at just a pic, but do you think the head on this is larger than your JK Midsize? TW says it is midplus but I thought most of these type of racquets would be around 85 sq. in.

joe sch
04-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Yes, it does have a nice simplistic look to it. However, TW calls it "unfinished" so I assume it would have had some graphics and/or model name added...and maybe some of those ribbon stripe things on the lower section of the head.

Anyway, I know this might be tough looking at just a pic, but do you think the head on this is larger than your JK Midsize? TW says it is midplus but I thought most of these type of racquets would be around 85 sq. in.

Yes, hard to tell looking at the picture but Im sure Chris or somebody else at TW can get you the spec's. It does look alot like the Wilson JK autograph mid so my guess would be approx 90si. Interesting that Snauwaert never decided on a model name for this racket. Probably one of the thier last rackets that never got used much since all the players were switching to metal and graphite at that time.

Mick
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM

I agree with Joe, this racquet does look a lot like the JK midsize.
It does not look big enough to be a midsize plus in my opinion, but i am just guessing based upon what i see in the pic.

Mick
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
they look to be the same size -- the difference in my pic (headsize looks narrower) is due to the zoom lens distortion.

http://i42.tinypic.com/20qcjvd.jpg

jimbo333
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM
This looks identical to my wood Snauwaert MID-XL.

Which I have just compared to my wood Maxply McEnroe MID, and they are exactly the same size:)

So maybe this is the Bosworth version of the MID-XL:):)

Capt. Willie
04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
they look to be the same size -- the difference in my pic (headsize looks narrower) is due to the zoom lens distortion.

http://i42.tinypic.com/20qcjvd.jpg

Mick, thanks for that comparison pic, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I think it is about an 85...midplus has to be a mistake.

Capt. Willie
04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Which I have just compared to my wood Maxply McEnroe MID, and they are exactly the same size:)

So maybe this is the Bosworth version of the MID-XL:):)

Thanks Jimbo. If I could ask you one other thing, does the paint job look the same minus some trim and (I would guess) the "Mid-XL" name?

I found a Mid-XL that had been sold on ****. The frame does look the same but it has a two tone blue paintjob....unless there were several paintjob variations.

jimbo333
04-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi, the paint job looks completely different to the Bosworth racquet. It is indeed as you say two tone blue, and I'm now sure the MID-XL is exactly the same frame as the Bosworth shown above:)

max
04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I would say the correct word is simple, not simplistic. And I like it's look very much.

Capt. Willie
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I would say the correct word is simple, not simplistic. And I like it's look very much.

Yes, you are correct.

From http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors :

>>>"Simplistic” means “overly simple,” and is always used negatively. Don’t substitute it when you just mean to say “simple” or even “very simple." <<<

However, given the poor witting skills exhibited by many posters on these boards this is a minor infraction of the Queen's English. And certainly not the act of a simpleton. ;)

joe sch
04-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Mick, thanks for that comparison pic, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I think it is about an 85...midplus has to be a mistake.

When that racket was made, an 85 was a mid and a 90 was a midplus. The difference between those is not visable, as you could lay the snauwaert mp over the JKA mid and they would almost look the same.

Capt. Willie
04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
When that racket was made, an 85 was a mid and a 90 was a midplus.

Thanks Joe. Yeah, I had in my head that midplus ment about 95.

And I'm old enough that I should have remembered that.

Capt. Willie
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Okay gentlemen, I got my answer:

CW,

Here's the skinny.....

This was a test racquet for Brian Gottfried and made of Belgian Ash (the white paint is called a 'Belgian Dip'). Ok, seriously, it is Belgian Ash, with an inlay of Vulcan Fiber which extends down the shaft (though you can't see it). It is 84 square inches and weighs 12.2 ounces (unstrung). Also, where the paint ends on the shaft it is very flexible.

Information is complements of Warren Bosworth and staff....(minus the Belgian Dip).

Spencer, TW.

plasma
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
BG was a picky SOB, he didn't like the graphite mid either...what a prude!!! would love to get his complete racquet history....great player!!!

Capt. Willie
04-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I bet it was the Belgian Dip that was the deal breaker for him.

Bud
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM

So maybe this is the Bosworth version of the MID-XL:)

Pics!!

:twisted::twisted:

jimbo333
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Pics!!

:twisted::twisted:

I promise if it's the last thing I do (and some by now think it will be), I will sort out my computer and start posting photos on here, I do promise.

Capt. Willie
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Question for Mick and Jimbo (and anyone else that has one):

What strings do you guys have in your midsize woods? And what tension?

Mick
05-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Question for Mick and Jimbo (and anyone else that has one):

What strings do you guys have in your midsize woods? And what tension?

i use prince synthetic gut duraflex 16 for all my racquets.

i like low tensions, so i had mine strung at 45 lbs.

Capt. Willie
05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
45? Wow...that does seem pretty low. I was thinking of going about 55. As for string, that was one of the strings on my "short list".

Anyway, thanks for the quick responce. :)

Mick
05-02-2009, 08:04 AM
45? Wow...that does seem pretty low. I was thinking of going about 55. As for string, that was one of the strings on my "short list".

Anyway, thanks for the quick responce. :)

i have a babolat apdc (the one played by nadal and wozniacki)
it's 100 sq-in and i had TW strung it at 50 lbs and it plays great.

For the midsize wood, i think i could go even lower than 45 lbs :)