PDA

View Full Version : Fed Accepts Wildcard Into Monte Carlo

marc45
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
apologies to oy vey in the federer isn't playing mc thread, but thought it deserves it's own affirmative post....only roddick out of the top ten

luckyboy1300
04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
confirmed http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iSLlfEAuxUGbvaz2NR_csJ0SdhFw

good call from roger

l_gonzalez
04-09-2009, 07:31 AM
good call?!

He'll make a run to semis or final and get his *** spanked again by either Nadal, Murray or Djokovic. he should have just stayed at home looking after Mirka.

batz
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Novak will be pleased!

Cyan
04-09-2009, 07:34 AM
He doesnt want to lose his number 2 ranking...

Pirao
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
good call?!

He'll make a run to semis or final and get his *** spanked again by either Nadal, Murray or Djokovic. he should have just stayed at home looking after Mirka.

On clay he can beat either Murray or Djoko, the only one he can't beat is Nadal. This will be another Nadal-Fed final.

Cesc Fabregas
04-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Novak will be pleased!

Novak will stay the number 2 seed wont he Roger comes in as a wildcard.

gj011
04-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Damn he did it only to screw Novak who would be #2 seed and guaranteed to avoid Nadal until the final :)

batz
04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Novak will stay the number 2 seed wont he Roger comes in as a wildcard.

No mate, wildcards get seeded - it'll just say WC next to his seeding.

Beacon Hill
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Damn he did it only to screw Novak who would be #2 seed and guaranteed to avoid Nadal until the final :)
You are joking, right?

Cesc Fabregas
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
No mate, wildcards get seeded - it'll just say WC next to his seeding.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

batz
04-09-2009, 07:46 AM

:):)

I think this makes Murray taking number 3 next week more likely now. Serious question gj - do you think going down the rankings will negatively effect your boy? As strange as it might sound, I think it might actually help him.

nikdom
04-09-2009, 07:49 AM
So why do you think Roger held up his decision for so long? Could it be a bargaining ploy for more appearance money?

I would stock up too with a kid on the way. Who knows how long the sunshine will last.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Good. Looking forward to Monte Carlo.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
That be funny if Fed has to play Nadal in the 1st round. LMAO!

batz
04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
So why do you think Roger held up his decision for so long? Could it be a bargaining ploy for more appearance money?

I would stock up too with a kid on the way. Who knows how long the sunshine will last.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think he expected Murray to have a serious chance of catching him during the clay season so he doesn't want to give away 700 points. Roger does not want to head for SW19 ranked 3 (although Wimbledon's seeding system might've bumped him up to 2 anyway but why take the risk).

batz
04-09-2009, 07:57 AM

:confused::confused:

Fed will be seeded 2 and top 8 get an R1 bye anyway. Can't happen.

nikdom
04-09-2009, 07:57 AM
This is just my opinion, but I don't think he expected Murray to have a serious chance of catching him during the clay season so he doesn't want to give away 700 points. Roger does not want to head for SW19 ranked 3 (although Wimbledon's seeding system might've bumped him up to 2 anyway so why take the risk).

Aha, I didn't think of the Wimbledon angle. Good one batz.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
This is just my opinion, but I don't think he expected Murray to have a serious chance of catching him during the clay season so he doesn't want to give away 700 points. Roger does not want to head for SW19 ranked 3 (although Wimbledon's seeding system might've bumped him up to 2 anyway so why take the risk).
Did you forget about Djokovic? He has been very close to Fed. Fed just was hoping to win more at Indian Wells and Miami. Also he was worried about his back.

mikeler
04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
This is just my opinion, but I don't think he expected Murray to have a serious chance of catching him during the clay season so he doesn't want to give away 700 points. Roger does not want to head for SW19 ranked 3 (although Wimbledon's seeding system might've bumped him up to 2 anyway but why take the risk).

Wimbledon probably would give him a #2 seed, but if he has a lackluster clay season then he could potentially fall to #3 in Paris. That could spell a semi-final meeting with Nadal which would not be good for Fed.

vtmike
04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Federer will be going into the clay with zero pressure on him to win because EVERYONE expects him to lose atleast to Nadal...Who knows...this might help his cause!

batz
04-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Did you forget about Djokovic? He has been very close to Fed. Fed just was hoping to win more at Indian Wells and Miami. Also he was worried about his back.

No I didn't forget Novak mate, it's just that I see Novak regressing rather than progressing at the moment. If my thesis is correct (and to be clear, I am only speculating), then who do you think Roger was worried about taking that 2nd spot from him during the clay season - the red hot guy defending 520 points or the struggling guy defending 2800 points?

nikdom
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I think this is a good decision by Roger. The more he avoids match play, the longer his mental hangover from IW and Miami will linger.

Clay will allow him to build his confidence with his groundstrokes. He'll get longer to construct points and not have the pressure to generate winners all the time. Even if he makes a semi here at MC, it will bode well for him going into Rome.

Also, as he pointed out in his Miami presser, nobody really expects him to be the favorite now, especially on clay. If he can make use of the reduced expectations to work on his confidence, come Wimbledon, the clay court season will have actually helped him regain his form.

Plus you know what, he might just be able to snag the FO from Nadal if the plan goes super. (We can all dream can't we :D)

nikdom
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
vtmike... we said the same thing at the same time :)

Cesc Fabregas
04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Federer will be going into the clay with zero pressure on him to win because EVERYONE expects him to lose atleast to Nadal...Who knows...this might help his cause!

Pressure or no pressure Nadal is a better player and a far better clay courter than Federer and Nadal doesn't buckle under pressure he's not Gasquet.

batz
Wimbledon probably would give him a #2 seed, but if he has a lackluster clay season then he could potentially fall to #3 in Paris. That could spell a semi-final meeting with Nadal which would not be good for Fed.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'give him' number 2 seed. There is no longer a seeding committee @ Wimbledon, seedings are solely a function of ranking points and performance on grass courts - although as I said, it could well be that Roger would have got the second seed even if he was ranked third - his grass record isn't too shabby after all:)

Richie Rich

last 2 years was same thing but still did not help him

nikdom
04-09-2009, 08:08 AM

I always thought it was #1 and #4 on the same side of the draw and #2 and #3 on the other. Am I wrong?

It changes from major to major too right?

l_gonzalez
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Fed should just go big or go home... I'd love to see him come out in Monte Carlo just wailing on every single shot. Screw point construction and patience, if things ain't working just set your arm free and hit it harder!

nikdom
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
last 2 years was same thing but still did not help him

The same could be said of Nadal & grass going into Wimbledon 08. He was able to turn it around right?

P_Agony
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Djokovic WAS close to Fed, but he failed to defend his AO title (or even make the semis for that matter), and lost a lot of points. Failing to defent his IW title did not help either. Novak should be thankful he didn't have to face either Murray, Nadal and Fed in Dubai thus getting an easy win there.

Cyan
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
The same could be said of Nadal & grass going into Wimbledon 08. He was able to turn it around right?

He had taken Fed to FIVE sets in the 2007 Wimbledon final. There was progress every year for Nadal at Wimbledon.

l_gonzalez
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM

They're too completely different animals, and the evidence so far suggests that Nadal rises to the challenge while Federer just says... "things didn't quite work out, my game didn't click, hopefully next year it will"

and what happens the following year? he gets his *** handed to him... again.... in an even more painful manner.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Djokovic WAS close to Fed, but he failed to defend his AO title (or even make the semis for that matter), and lost a lot of points. Failing to defent his IW title did not help either. Novak should be thankful he didn't have to face either Murray, Nadal and Fed in Dubai thus getting an easy win there.
And he gained a lot of points in Miami. Typical Djokovic hating and discrediting him. Djokovic and Murray are going to pass Federer soon. :evil:

batz
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I always thought it was #1 and #4 on the same side of the draw and #2 and #3 on the other. Am I wrong?

I'm afraid you are wrong Nikdom. 1 and 2 go into opposite sides of the draw, the rest are drawn randomly. There is an equal chance of 1 being paired with 3 or 4.

This happens at every tournament - slams included.

mikeler
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Check out the draw from IW:

http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/4/assets/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/4/assets/pdfs/draws/09ATP_MDS11.pdf

As you can see, it would have been 1 versus 3 and 2 versus 4 if the seedings held. I think the only guarantee now is that 1 cannot play 2.

vtmike
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
vtmike... we said the same thing at the same time :)

Maybe its a sign from the gods that it might come true... :) (fingers crossed)

Sticklacer
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Look for Murray to exit early--lots of play lately on the hardcourts. Prob a bit burnt... we'll see...

Josherer
04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Yay! Fed FTW!

madmanfool
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Good decision. If his back is ok he should play.

fps
04-09-2009, 08:57 AM

I think, to win Wimbledon, Roger knows he'll have to beat Rafa. If he was 3 there would be a chance he'd have to play him earlier than usual, in the semis. Any day earlier than final puts extra grass on the courts which helps Roger more than it hinders him. I have thought a coupla times that it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to go down to 3 at Wimbly.

rhubarb
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Given that Wimbledon add a grasscourt weighting to calculate the seedings, it would be extremely unlikely that Federer would be seeded lower than 2 there this year, even if he was actually ranked 3 or 4 going into the tournament. Unless Djokovic or Murray were to do a "Nadal" through the clay season, I don't see them having enough points by June to give them a big enough gap above Federer, since he has much better results on grass over the last 2 years than either of them.

henryshli
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
this is interesting.....he annouced at the beginning of the year that he wasn't going to play and now he has accepted a wild card.

Maybe Federer wanted to meet Nadal in the first round so that Nadal would lose maximum points (as oppose to beating him in the final and Nadal). Perhaps fed expected to do better on the hardcourts so that by Monte Carlo he would overtake Nadal.

rhubarb
04-09-2009, 09:29 AM
this is interesting.....he annouced at the beginning of the year that he wasn't going to play and now he has accepted a wild card.

Maybe Federer wanted to meet Nadal in the first round so that Nadal would lose maximum points (as oppose to beating him in the final and Nadal). Perhaps fed expected to do better on the hardcourts so that by Monte Carlo he would overtake Nadal.

Doesn't matter how he enters - wildcard or not - he'll be seeded 2, so he can only meet Nadal in the final anyway.

Turning Pro
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
He had taken Fed to FIVE sets in the 2007 Wimbledon final. There was progress every year for Nadal at Wimbledon.

Nadal could have and probably should have closed it out in 3 or 4 last year to be fair.

Also i do hope Roger does well this year. I'd like to see him stick around for a good few years.

henryshli
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Doesn't matter how he enters - wildcard or not - he'll be seeded 2, so he can only meet Nadal in the final anyway.

Didn't know that......so it's kind of boring then.

Zaragoza
04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
This is a good decision by Federer. Well, not playing in Montecarlo was also a good decision by Federer.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter what Federer does, he always takes good decisions.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I think, to win Wimbledon, Roger knows he'll have to beat Rafa. If he was 3 there would be a chance he'd have to play him earlier than usual, in the semis. Any day earlier than final puts extra grass on the courts which helps Roger more than it hinders him. I have thought a coupla times that it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to go down to 3 at Wimbly.

Not sure about this anymore. Although I have picked nadal to reach teh finals the past 3 years at Wimbledon, and picked him to win it last year, I think this year is a bit different story. The way this year is going, I don't see him making the finals there this year. Same goes for Fed. Lot of guys making noise. murray, del potro, joker, tsonga, etc.

I could even see Dent making the second week there if his body stays glued together.

henryshli
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Not sure about this anymore. Although I have picked nadal to reach teh finals the past 3 years at Wimbledon, and picked him to win it last year, I think this year is a bit different story. The way this year is going, I don't see him making the finals there this year. Same goes for Fed. Lot of guys making noise. murray, del potro, joker, tsonga, etc.

I could even see Dent making the second week there if his body stays glued together.

I think on grass is a completely different story for Fed. He could suck all year round and still make the finals at Wimbledon I think. Pete also used to do well at Wimbledon and USO without really playing well the rest of the year.

tacou
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I predict an early exit for Roger here. if his backhand is as bad as it was in Miami/IW and he faces a dirtballer, he will UE himself off the court.

henryshli
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Well for Fed an early exit is better than not playing at all.

shadows
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Generally a good decision I think, though it seems hard to tell what's right and wrong for Roger lately.

BorisBeckerFan
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
as a wild card would fed still be seeded?

carlos djackal
04-09-2009, 10:12 AM

LOL.....that would make roger lose in the first round.....

CCNM
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Also glad to hear Fed's going to play. I just hope his mind is in the game.

TMCW140
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Definately good news. Hopefully, as he put it, a new chapter

bolo
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I bet the back is still bothering him, matches on clay are not going to help that.

It would be interesting to compare his ace/service winner counts up to this point this year versus last few years.

theduh
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I bet the back is still bothering him, matches on clay are not going to help that.

It would be interesting to compare his ace/service winner counts up to this point this year versus last few years.

Well clay is easier on the body rather than HC which really can be brutal. Second point is really a good indicator on how the back problem is really affecting Roger's serve game.

l_gonzalez
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Definately good news. Hopefully, as he put it, a new chapter

Doubt it. For a new chapter to begin something has to change, he isn't just gonna magically snap out of it... least of all at a clay Masters where he has lost the final to Nadal in 3 years, and is notorious for it's slowness and challenging conditions at times: it's right by the sea, can get quite windy.

Richie Rich
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I predict an early exit for Roger here. if his backhand is as bad as it was in Miami/IW and he faces a dirtballer, he will UE himself off the court.

his fh was pretty lousy too

nikdom
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM

Really? I thought his BH was better in Miami. It was the FH that completely broke down.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM

It's funny how people repeat the stupidities posted on this board. I often wonder if people even watch the matches they comment on.

Here is a snippet of an article talking about his backhand :roll:

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/11587973
Federer was betrayed by his forehand, long touted as the game's best. It was the biggest culprit during the match's pivotal span bridging the second and third sets, when he lost 24 of 28 points and seven consecutive games. Djokovic said his tactics contributed to Federer's frustration with his forehand.

"I tried to change pace and play fast, and then play a bit slower with more spin," Djokovic said. "He usually expects a ball on the backhand side, because that's where the players try to play him. But I'm not giving him any consistency on one side so he can really be comfortable."

Federer shanked at least half a dozen forehands and blamed the breeze, a staple at Key Biscayne.

"I definitely struggled with my timing," he said. "You kind of try hard, and then it's just not working. Today it is different just because there's so much wind. Once you start feeling bad, it's kind of tough to regroup."
Federer had a reputation for tirades in juniors, and he broke a racket in anger in the 2005 Key Biscayne final against Nadal. But that's the last such tantrum he could remember, and he has long been considered the tour's model citizen.

So it was surprising when he kicked a ball in frustration after an errant forehand. Two games later Federer took out his frustration on his racket, which snapped at his feet.

The startled crowd jeered at first, then reconsidered its reaction as he trudged to his chair and unwrapped a new racket. When he walked back to the baseline, fans roared, and they were firmly in his corner for the rest of the way.

Despite the support, the Federer forehand kept misfiring, including twice in the final game before he sailed a backhand long on match point.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

LOL LOL LOL...oh wait...LOL LOL...U r kidding us right!?

cucio
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Not sure about this anymore. Although I have picked nadal to reach teh finals the past 3 years at Wimbledon, and picked him to win it last year, I think this year is a bit different story. The way this year is going, I don't see him making the finals there this year. Same goes for Fed. Lot of guys making noise. murray, del potro, joker, tsonga, etc.together.

It's not like neither R or R had a lot of problems reaching the finals last year. Fed didn't lose a set and Nadal only one. Of those you mention only Murray reached QF, and it was touch and go against Gasquet in R16.

True that DelPo and Murray look better this year, but last year you could have said the same of Djoker too.

We will have a clearer image after Halle/Queens, but it is difficult to imagine anything else than R&R v4.0 right now, they are the ones who consistently come up with the goods at the slams.

bolo
04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Well clay is easier on the body rather than HC which really can be brutal. Second point is really a good indicator on how the back problem is really affecting Roger's serve game.

I was thinking from the point of view that there is more sliding, twisting and turning that happens on clay. The points and matches also tend to be longer on clay.

If only tennis stats. were as easy to dig up as stats. from other sports.

mikeler
04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I was thinking from the point of view that there is more sliding, twisting and turning that happens on clay. The points and matches also tend to be longer on clay.

If only tennis stats. were as easy to dig up as stats. from other sports.

Hard courts are brutal on the lower back. I'd much rather play the longer points on a softer surface like clay.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
^^Although my joints are more sore after playing on hard courts, overalll my muscles and body are much more sore after playing on clay.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
^^Although my joints are more sore after playing on hard courts, overalll my muscles and body are much more sore after playing on clay.
Muscles getting sore is normal. Nothing too serious about that. Joints getting sore is much more serious. It sounds like you lack fitness to not be able to handle long points.

Richie Rich
04-09-2009, 12:53 PM

me too. my back especially - must be working harder since the footing isn't as good as hard courts.

Richie Rich
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Muscles getting sore is normal. Nothing too serious about that. Joints getting sore is much more serious. It sounds like you lack fitness to not be able to handle long points.

fitness has nothing to do with joint pain. i bet i'm way fitter than you. i bet drak is too

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
fitness has nothing to do with joint pain. i bet i'm way fitter than you. i bet drak is too
Which is what I said. Muscle pain is lack of fitness. Joint pain is punishing surface.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 01:00 PM

What can I say>>>>>> I'm just like Nadal>>> always exhausted and unift. maybe if I juiced up like him, I'd make it to the top.

drakulie
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
me too. my back especially - must be working harder since the footing isn't as good as hard courts.

Yup. One is just simply working harder on clay than on hard courts.

If Nadal_Freak actually played tennis (he admittedly doesn't even play), he would know that hitting a FH once on a fast hard court and ending the point is a lot less straining than hitting 5-6 fh, then running back, sliding, and hitting a bunch of Bh's and so forth.

Gorecki
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM

as long as it's not played in the dark... because we know how nadal is afraid of the dark!

oy vey
04-09-2009, 01:03 PM

I think so too. To get even. :)

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Yup. One is just simply working harder on clay than on hard courts.

If Nadal_Freak actually played tennis (he admittedly doesn't even play), he would know that hitting a FH once on a fast hard court and ending the point is a lot less straining than hitting 5-6 fh, then running back, sliding, and hitting a bunch of Bh's and so forth.
I've played a lot of tennis. I can thank my knee injuries to constant pounding on hardcourts. I didn't know what I was doing to myself long term. I wish I grew up on clay and my joints would be perfect but there is no clay courts where I live. Nadal has the most experience with surfaces so I think he knows the damages more than a tennis player who probably played minimal on clay.

tacou
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
It's funny how people repeat the stupidities posted on this board. I often wonder if people even watch the matches they comment on.

Here is a snippet of an article talking about his backhand :roll:

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/11587973
Federer was betrayed by his forehand, long touted as the game's best. It was the biggest culprit during the match's pivotal span bridging the second and third sets, when he lost 24 of 28 points and seven consecutive games. Djokovic said his tactics contributed to Federer's frustration with his forehand.

"I tried to change pace and play fast, and then play a bit slower with more spin," Djokovic said. "He usually expects a ball on the backhand side, because that's where the players try to play him. But I'm not giving him any consistency on one side so he can really be comfortable."

Federer shanked at least half a dozen forehands and blamed the breeze, a staple at Key Biscayne.

"I definitely struggled with my timing," he said. "You kind of try hard, and then it's just not working. Today it is different just because there's so much wind. Once you start feeling bad, it's kind of tough to regroup."
Federer had a reputation for tirades in juniors, and he broke a racket in anger in the 2005 Key Biscayne final against Nadal. But that's the last such tantrum he could remember, and he has long been considered the tour's model citizen.

So it was surprising when he kicked a ball in frustration after an errant forehand. Two games later Federer took out his frustration on his racket, which snapped at his feet.

The startled crowd jeered at first, then reconsidered its reaction as he trudged to his chair and unwrapped a new racket. When he walked back to the baseline, fans roared, and they were firmly in his corner for the rest of the way.

Despite the support, the Federer forehand kept misfiring, including twice in the final game before he sailed a backhand long on match point.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

interesting article. I saw all of Fed's matches at Indian Wells and Miami. In his semi against Murray I saw (several times) Fed attempt to block shots back with his backhand and they just sort of died, falling short of the net. that is pretty bad in my opinion.

but you are right, his forehand is pretty bad now too, especially in Miami.

Gorecki
04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I've played a lot of tennis. I can thank my knee injuries to constant pounding on hardcourts. I didn't know what I was doing to myself long term. I wish I grew up on clay and my joints would be perfect but there is no clay courts where I live. Nadal has the most experience with surfaces so I think he knows the damages more than a tennis player who probably played minimal on clay.

i thought it was a shoulder injury that got you of courts...:twisted:

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
i thought it was a shoulder injury that got you of courts...:twisted:
That was another story. I was stupid about swinging free weights like a tennis racquet. I didn't know I was damaging my rotator cuff in the process.

dandaman
04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Which is what I said. Muscle pain is lack of fitness. Joint pain is punishing surface.

Ya....i agree.....i myself played today on a hard court again after ages(have been playing on clay). And after playing for 2 hours.....i'm a lot less tired, but can feel all my joints a lot more. So ya.....clay is more tiring, but better for the joints. Now you need to decide which is worse for a pro. The awnser is obvious

Gorecki
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
That was another story. I was stupid about swinging free weights like a tennis racquet. I didn't know I was damaging my rotator cuff in the process.

http://www.gebh.net/oprimo/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/20071218.gif

what did you expect... getting a stronger forehand?

vtmike
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Yeah that is very very stupid!...I completely agree 100%

bolo
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
well I just ran into this in another thread:

http://sports.optimum.net/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=cablevision&page=tennis-m/stat/atp-matchfacts.htm

I am pretty sure he was top 10 in aces at the end of last year, so far he looks like he has lost some ground versus his competitors. Interesting that del potro is top 10.

tomas9848
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
does anyone know what he is wearing.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah that is very very stupid!...I completely agree 100%
Well thank you very much. Someone who never makes any mistakes. It looks obvious now but I blindly was looking for a way to get more power. Weightlifting didn't seem to get it done enough. Biggest regret in my life. :(

P_Agony
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
well I just ran into this in another thread:

http://sports.optimum.net/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=cablevision&page=tennis-m/stat/atp-matchfacts.htm

I am pretty sure he was top 10 in aces at the end of last year, so far he looks like he has lost some ground versus his competitors. Interesting that del potro is top 10.

If I recall correctly Karlovic was #1, Roddick #2, and Fed #3.

fastdunn
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I predict an early exit for Roger here.

That's certainly possible.

But I actually think clay is Federer's 2nd best surface after grass. He grew up on clay and he won his 1st Master's on clay. he just has Nadal problem on clay. Nadal problem is just not as big on hard courts. That's all.

While his superiety over #3, #4 is thining on hard court, #3,#4 are not exactly strong on clay yet. it will be great chance to build confidence over #3,4 on clay.

But as you said, Federer should be careful not to exit before semi-final. Federer's confidence is low and probably has some aging effect on his fitness level. if someone before smi stretch the match into 3 sets, he might be vulnerable for an upset.

His goal here should be to get to the semi-final and build some confidence over #3,4 coming into clay season.

rubberduckies
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
That's certainly possible.

But I actually think clay is Federer's 2nd best surface after grass. He grew up on clay and he won his 1st Master's on clay. he just has Nadal problem on clay. Nadal problem is just not as big on hard courts. That's all.

While his superiety over #3, #4 is thining on hard court, #3,#4 are not exactly strong on clay yet. it will be great chance to build confidence over #3,4 on clay.

But as you said, Federer should be careful not to exit before semi-final. Federer's confidence is low and probably has some aging effect on his fitness level. if someone before smi stretch the match into 3 sets, he might be vulnerable for an upset.

His goal here should be to get to the semi-final and build some confidence over #3,4 coming into clay season.

Yup. I totally agree. He has been extremely consistent on clay over the past few years, far more consistent than he is on hard court. Granted, he consistently loses to Nadal, but consistency is its own reward.

Even Federer has said that nobody should expect him to win anything on hardcourt because he hasn't done anything on the surface for a while, outside of the USO. Federer is glad to be leaving hard courts and moving on to clay where he will have a much better chance against Andy Murray. Maybe we'll see a rematch of Federer and Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo.

drakulie
04-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Well thank you very much. Someone who never makes any mistakes. It looks obvious now but I blindly was looking for a way to get more power. Weightlifting didn't seem to get it done enough. Biggest regret in my life. :(

You tried to play tennis with free-weights attached to your racquet???

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2009, 06:05 AM
You tried to play tennis with free-weights attached to your racquet???
No. Free weights by themselves. I tried to imitate the strokes to get more power on my shots and build up the same muscles I use in tennis. Like I said, I didn't know the rotator cuff is so sensitive.

cknobman
04-10-2009, 06:11 AM
No. Free weights by themselves. I tried to imitate the strokes to get more power on my shots and build up the same muscles I use in tennis. Like I said, I didn't know the rotator cuff is so sensitive.

Well Im glad to find this info out before I tried it (i was seriously thinking of trying it at one point) although Im not glad that it damaged your rotator cuff. :(

drakulie
04-10-2009, 06:12 AM
^^I can't believe you would attach weights to your racquet.

Gen
04-10-2009, 06:26 AM
There will be excellent public to build Federer's confidence. As far as I know from the fan sites, hordes of Nadal's fans who loath Federer bought trips to MC: nice tournament and no Federer. Vice versa with Federer fans. Tickets are not available any more. Sold out. Will it be the first tournament over the last few years without *******s screaming in the stadium?

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2009, 06:28 AM
There will be excellent public to build Federer's confidence. As far as I know from the fan sites, hordes of Nadal's fans who loath Federer bought trips to MC: nice tournament and no Federer. Vice versa with Federer fans. Tickets are not available any more. Sold out. Will it be the first tournament over the last few years without *******s screaming in the stadium?
Ah that would be a dream come true. :D

Gen
04-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Ah that would be a dream come true. :D

I'm traveling there the day after tomorrow. When I come back, I'll let you know whether the dream came true. :)

sh@de
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
LOL nice dp Gen...

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm traveling there the day after tomorrow. When I come back, I'll let you know whether the dream came true. :)
I'm jealous. Wish I could be there.

Gen
04-10-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm jealous. Wish I could be there.

You may some day. It's a long trip from the USA (do I understand it right that you're American?). But if Canadian and Australian fans are coming complete with their spouses and offspring, why don't you try it sometime? MC is the nicest of all the European clay tournaments. We'll see what new Madrid Open rises to. THe previous Madrid Masters in autumn wasn't very well organized IMO.

rubberduckies
04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Is Monte Carlo guaranteed to maintain its Masters status for some time?

VivalaVida
04-10-2009, 12:03 PM

possibly. Unfortunately, there will be more "*******s" like yourself in the stadium.

batz
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
You may some day. It's a long trip from the USA (do I understand it right that you're American?). But if Canadian and Australian fans are coming complete with their spouses and offspring, why don't you try it sometime? MC is the nicest of all the European clay tournaments. We'll see what new Madrid Open rises to. THe previous Madrid Masters in autumn wasn't very well organized IMO.

Gen you are really lucky to be able to attend so many big tournaments:)

I am a bit jealous:cry::)

P_Agony
04-10-2009, 01:07 PM
possibly. Unfortunately, there will be more "*******s" like yourself in the stadium.

The *******s will probably be amazed by Federer. Hell, I'm even impressed with his unforced errors at times. He's that good.

papucla10
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Excuse my ignorance but how does Wildcard rule works in Monte Carlo, shouldn't Fed and even Gonzo have direct access to the tournament? they are both top 20. I think I know why Fed got a WC, he had decided not to enter the tournament so he was automatically out of it but at the las minute he would still be able to enter with a WC? please explain regarding Gonzo and Fed as well if I am wrong regarding my WC theory thanks.

SikSerb
04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
The *******s will probably be amazed by Federer. Hell, I'm even impressed with his unforced errors at times. He's that good.

LOL im sure they will blown away by his conistancy in UE's.

Gorecki
04-11-2009, 04:36 AM

what... only one horde of cavemans to root for nadal and no federetes? that is sad...