PDA

View Full Version : Stringway ERT 700

brtennis
02-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Does anyone here own the ERT 700? If so, would you please share your experience with it? I thought it is a really cool gadget for a stringer. It allows you to check how good a string job you had done and when to restring your racquet after it loses the tension. Below is the description of the meter directly copied from the Stringway site. Is there a similar gadget made by other brand? Thanks.

The ERT 700 is a very sophisticated and accurate measuring instrument that measures the stiffness of the strings in the racquet. This tennis computer measures the Dynamic Tension or DT value. The DT value is the force required to depress the strings in the racquet one cm.

The ERT 700 provides the following information:
1. It measures the DT Value.
2. It calculates the average stringing tension required to string a particular frame according to its stiffness.
3. It shows a diagram utilizing percentages to demonstrate "power" and "control" parameters.
4. Memory stores level of stiffness of a particular frame and this information can be utilized before stringing the racquet.

David Valencia
04-01-2005, 05:23 AM
I'd like to bring back this thread.

Does anyone here own/use the ERT 700?

Thanks,

Jerry Seinfeld
04-01-2005, 05:57 AM
I added one to my shop earlier this year. It's a cool device on multiple levels. As stated, it measures the dynamic tension of the string job. I now measure each frame after stringing to check for consistency. So far everything appears to be spot on. I give my customers a bag tag that includes the tension, the DT reading etcetera. When I see them I can put the ERT 700 on their stringbed and determine how much the string bed has lost. (The device is portable and comes with a handy carrying case that easily fits in most tennis bags) Helps to drive home the reality of tension loss and encourage more frequent stringing...which I happen to think is important.

I also have been using it to measure strings and tension loss a varying intervals on all of the strings I carry. I am welcoming the opportunity to objectively measure the Dynamic Tension of the stringbed so that I can better understand the rate of tension loss.

The downside is cost. It is an expensive item. Still, it's more professional looking and perhaps more credible with customers than the spring loaded stringmeter. I ordered my through tennismachines.com who had a few in stock. The first one they sent me would not take consecutive tension readings. I sent it back and the second one is better, but it does get tempermental from time to time and decides it just doesn't want to provide a reading. I have no idea how long the thing will last and durability is my greatest fear in an investment such as the ERT 700. So far, so good with mine, but I am EXTRA careful treating it as a delicate precision piece of equipment. I have not attempted any memory functions with mine, so I can't speak to that feature.

Hope this helps.

RacquetDoctor
04-01-2005, 06:23 AM
I got mine from an **** auction 3 years ago for a song...I had stumbled on to it by accident, and was surprised when I won the auction...

As far as cool factor...hands down better than the stringmeter...on the down side was durability...mine crapped out after a year. I had the tempermental thing for a while, then it stopped functioning correctly. :(

As far as functionality goes...stringmeter is just as good at showing relative tension loss...

The ERT300 is available from ats now for ~160...

David Valencia
04-01-2005, 06:30 AM
What is the difference between the 300 and 700?

Is the 300 also made by Stringway?

Rad
04-07-2005, 01:31 AM
The 700 has been discontinued 2 years ago. The 300 should be its successor but never saw the light of day. Gamma advertises it but carries no stock. The difference between the 300 and 700 is that the 300 is a "all-in-one" device. The 700 was a sensor connected through a wire to a computer. The wire and sensor were the weak parts on the 700.
Neither the 700 or 300 were/are produced by Stringway. They distributed it. I contacted Stringway a while back on the availability of the 300 and they told me it might never come. They also told me that they were working on something new which should be very affordable.

gregraven
04-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Tournament stringer Casey Maus had one at the 2005 Pacific Life Open. We agreed that it's an interesting concept, and that when you measure the stringbed immediately after stringing, the reading it gives is often incredibly close to the reference tension, which seems impossible. However, neither of us has used one enough to know how good it is as a diagnostic tool, as Jerry Seinfeld has.

10usstring
04-24-2005, 06:33 AM
I've had a ERT 700 for about 2 years now. It is useful if you take a reading just after stringing. As gregraven said, the reading is very close to referenced tension. There is a large "Wow" factor when someone is able to see a group of numbers pop up on the little computer screen. You can also feel the racquet handle buzz during the test. The instructions that came with mine were poorly written. As a diagnostic tool, it may not be worth the effort but it will sell a lot of string jobs.

Valjean
07-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I contacted Stringway a while back on the availability of the 300 and they told me it might never come. They also told me that they were working on something new which should be very affordable.

This is fun to hear, because a few years back Gamma had a small matchbox-sized device called an EST that measured stringbed stiffness and string liveliness according to string vibration.

It went out of production too.