PDA

View Full Version : Fed Needs A Ball Machine?

ttbrowne
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Beating Nadal: Since Fed has so much trouble with that heavy topspin, wouldn't he logically just get a ball machine, turn the rpm's up on the topspin and practice on taking the ball early, negating one of Nadal's big weapon's.

After all, Fed has what other players don't have...lots of money. He doesn't have to worry about making a living. Just beating Nadal.

Does he not want to work on this aspect of his game. Doesn't make sense to me. 'Course maybe he's worked on it and it isn't working.

kimbahpnam
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
You're assuming the only thing Fed needs to beat Nadal is to work on returning top spin groundstrokes? Tennis is a very simple game to you I see.

msc886
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
^^^^ agreed there's more to Nadal than that heavy topspin forehand.

GameSampras
04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Fed needs a labotomy for when he plays Nadal. Not a ball machine. Ball Machines cant generate the kind of topspin, moonballing that attacks Fed's BH with regularlarity as Nadal does

lawrence
04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
haha if beating nadals topspin shots was as easy as practicing against a ball machine with the rpm's turned up, a lot more of us would be on tour :p

RFtennis
04-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Beating Nadal: Since Fed has so much trouble with that heavy topspin, wouldn't he logically just get a ball machine, turn the rpm's up on the topspin and practice on taking the ball early, negating one of Nadal's big weapon's.

After all, Fed has what other players don't have...lots of money. He doesn't have to worry about making a living. Just beating Nadal.

Does he not want to work on this aspect of his game. Doesn't make sense to me. 'Course maybe he's worked on it and it isn't working.

I dont think you know what your talking about

GameSampras
04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I doubt Fed will put much time in with the ball machine or even practicing for that matter these days. This is a player who has openly said, "he doesnt work on weaknesses." Which is why he is in the position he is now as opposed to where he was just 2 years ago. Other players get better, and Fed's game either stagnates or get worse in the blink of an eye

ttbrowne
04-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Oh Gawd, I see I PO'd the experts on the board.
Forget it.
I don't see how you guys have the time to post...seeing as to how you're on the tour and all.

maximo
04-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I doubt Fed will put much time in with the ball machine or even practicing for that matter these days. This is a player who has openly said, "he doesnt work on weaknesses." Which is why he is in the position he is now as opposed to where he was just 2 years ago. Other players get better, and Fed's game either stagnates or get worse in the blink of an eye

A sign of arrogance i say.

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 03:49 AM
I got a ball machine, its really good fun, I like putting it at full blast and feeding it to my feet, its the Mike Agassi training method, makes half-volleys taste like chocolate.

Gen
04-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Mats Wilander says that what Federer needs for beating Nadal is balls.

rubberduckies
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM

You think other players can't afford to buy, or even have access to, a ball machine?

Maybe you're thinking of some super-expensive prototype Nadal-bot that imitates his play perfectly.

vtmike
04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Mats Wilander says that what Federer needs for beating Nadal is balls.

Mats Wilander also picked Roger Federer to beat Nadal in Roland Garros last year...So lets not believe everything Wilander says!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/frenchopen/2302647/French-Open-Bjorn-Borg-and-Mats-Wilander-are-backing-Roger-Federer-to-beat-Rafael-Nadal.html

Bud
04-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Federer needs a shrink, not a ball machine.

danb
04-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Fed needs balls not a ball machine.

coloskier
04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Fed needs balls not a ball machine.

Fed has balls, proof is pregnant Mirka. Of course, it could have been a rubber glove.

Drago
04-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Federer doesn't need a ball machine, he doesn't need to work on his weaknesses, he doesn't need couch nor psychologist because he is simply the greatest man ever. But when loosing he is loosing due to a heavy wind or some pain in the back or because he is not in good condition.

Lsmkenpo
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM

You don't think he takes the ball on the rise now? Fed is just stubborn he has the skill to beat Nadal he just does not use it properly he refuses to adjust his game, foolish pride.

Golden Retriever
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
If a ball machine could let you win Nadal then all the boys and girls who go to one of those tennis slave camps could win Nadal.

VictorS.
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
If a ball machine could let you win Nadal then all the boys and girls who go to one of those tennis slave camps could win Nadal.

You know, one guy who has had some success against Nadal is James Blake. I think one of the reasons can be attributed to his much more stable backhand which he improved during his time off from tour. Blake himself stated that his bh was improved thru repetitive feeds from his coach.

Perhaps Federer should take off 4 months after the US Open, a la Bill Tilden....and just really focus on improving that backhand & his conditioning.

Nadal_Freak
04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
You know, one guy who has had some success against Nadal is James Blake. I think one of the reasons can be attributed to his much more stable backhand which he improved during his time off from tour. Blake himself stated that his bh was improved thru repetitive feeds from his coach.

Perhaps Federer should take off 4 months after the US Open, a la Bill Tilden....and just really focus on improving that backhand & his conditioning.
It also helps to play Nadal only on hard courts and get all your wins against him before 2007. ;)

Crisp
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I do somewhat agree with the op, he seems to beat most other tour players whether he is playing well or not but struggles with Nadal. If he was to work hard with a ball machine( top of the line one) he may just do better. It is also psychological with Fed V Nadal and if he has worked hard and trained hard to defeat a certain type of player surely when you go to play them you would be thinking that you have an edge over when you last played them. It can only help. Well done op dont listen to all those who are knocking you.

carlos djackal
04-10-2009, 08:50 PM

LOl.....Fed's stubborness would lead to his demise......

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 08:56 PM
LOl.....Fed's stubborness would lead to his demise......

Just goes to show, good things happen to good people. If you are a bad character you will be found out in your profession, even if your profession is mostly based on physical coordination.

tennisdad65
04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
nintendo wii tennis is better than a ball machine :)

Crisp
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
nintendo wii tennis is better than a ball machine :)

I hope you are joking wii tenis is good for helping young kids learn how to score, other than that nothing translates into real tennis.

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I've never played wii tennis, how does it work, do you need 2 people or can you play against the cPU? Does it have the grand slams in it? Can you play against the pro players or just random cyborgs?

Leelord337
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
What Fed needs is change. it seems that he has become stagnant, and it also seems that the RF logo has jinxed him somehow. I think he should start bulking up and getting his legs stronger and bigger similar to what agassi did later in his career.

He needs some sort of motivation as he hasn't have his surgeon like precision with his shots lately.

I think it would be awesome if he went running down beaches with jim courier and started hitting the gym with gil reyes. He also needs to start growing his hair out long too like he used to have it. either long or short, not floppy. well these little things might make him a better player in my opinion, it seems like he is a little burnt out on tennis in general though, which is sad, but happens to everyone who plays.

oh yah, fed needs to play Davis cup to feel inspired by his teammates or even some play some challengers to get motivated by the players playing those events to put bread on the family table (like what agassi did)

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Although Agassi was playing so bad in 1997 (ranked around 140) that he struggled to win challengers, I think he was knocked out in the semis in one of them challengers, whereas Federer is really only struggling with the Rafa, he's beating everyone else (beat Murray in the one match that mattered). So if Federer played challenger events it'd look wrong, because he'd win 6-0 6-0 each time (like the Del Potro Aus Open match).

Leelord337
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
he should just play the challengers in his practice clothes :)

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Nah I don't think challengers or new hairstyles will help. He just needs to get a coach and train harder or retire.

Leelord337
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
he needs to get bigger guns than rafa ;)

Ray Mercer
04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I think he's got to grow a beard playoff style.

Leelord337
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
i don't think he can grow a beard

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Fed needs balls (forget about the machine).

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Fed needs balls (forget about the machine).

:) Agreed its about time Federer manned up.

Leelord337
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
yano i think fed being married now is going to help his game, its a little change in his life that he needed, in my opinion

MichaelNadal
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
He has a ball machine.... called Andy Roddick :)

Leelord337
04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
^^haha that's a good one, i guess nikolay davydenko falls into that category too