PDA

View Full Version : Grass and Clay

egn
04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Okay this is not comparing how they play this is something that has been bothering me and I was wondering if anyone has the answer. We always are told they can't have tons of grass tournaments because it is hard to maintain so it is easier to switch to hardcourts, yet how come there are tons of clay tournaments?

Clay from what I have read and seen is difficult to maintain to, ideally you need to sweep it after every match and it needs to be watered like grass courts 2 or 3 times a day. So both require the same ammount of investment since instead of sweeping grass you have to cut it.

So now here is where the question comes in..is it their another layer or factor in the courts that is to be taken into account. Like is the grass itself not the problem but is their a layer beneath it that grass is grown on that is harder to maintain? Or are the courts grown on regular dirt (that i imagine is not happening) What makes watering and daily cleaning of clay courts easier maintenance than the watering and cutting of grass courts? Also is the grass that much more expensive than the clay in terms of buying? I mean for generations they were having no problem with making grass courts, they were everywhere and they had less money in tennis and less technology so what has changed in the times that makes it so difficult?

Mansewerz
04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Nadal requested the clay courts be built rather than grass :twisted:

clayman2000
04-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I can see why you are confused but the answer is easy if you see a grass court after two weeks of non stop play (eg Wimby final)
If you think the grass then looks bad, imagine what it would look like without the constant watering, and treatment at night

Clay really just needs water, but Grass grows, dies, changes

egn
04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I can see why you are confused but the answer is easy if you see a grass court after two weeks of non stop play (eg Wimby final)
If you think the grass then looks bad, imagine what it would look like without the constant watering, and treatment at night

Clay really just needs water, but Grass grows, dies, changes

True grass does die, but if the tournament is for say a week and the courts only need to be good for the time around that week would it be possible to grow the grass like two months prior and only have to maintain it for a shorter period of time?

bladepdb
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
True grass does die, but if the tournament is for say a week and the courts only need to be good for the time around that week would it be possible to grow the grass like two months prior and only have to maintain it for a shorter period of time?

I agree with you that grass should be more widely available for tournament play. Obviously these tournaments are going to have major sponsors pumping money for maintenance and overhead, so why not invest in some grass courts for maybe one or two weeks of play?

I think the problem might be that most of the clubs that host the major events also serve as tourist or local tennis club destinations. That means the courts need to be managed year-round to cater to regular users. Obviously with clay, it's just sweeping and watering. But when grass gets played on so much, it's a huge issue.

Fortunately we at least have All England Lawn Tennis Club who DOES go through the trouble, along with a couple others (Halle, Queens). I do, however, wish there were more clubs that would cater to the name of Lawn Tennis and go back to the grass that used to be found everywhere just a couple of decades ago (USO, AO, Wimby, etc).

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Clay is better for tennis. ;)

bladepdb
04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Clay is better for tennis. ;)

Sorry, as much as I love Nadal and today's baseline game, I wish there was more grass.