PDA

View Full Version : The SINGLE most impressive stat on specific players

BTURNER
04-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Here you can't list all of Navratilova's accomplishments,for example, to summarize and define her greatness. YOU just pick one simple sentence and defend it as the greatest reason to appreciate her.

I'll start. Evert reached the semifinals of 51 grand slam events out of 55 entries as a career achievement, including grass,clay and hard court slams. from the age of 16 through retirement at 34. These are the events that obviously have the best draws, the most players and the most inspiration. This includes all those early career slams when champions are learning their craft, how to compete, those slams a player might be injured, ill or burned-out, or just in a horrible draw, or in the midst of a personal crisis and in decline. She performed an incredible feat of career long consistency that will never be equaled.

ONE STAT or fact that best defines a champion and his/her legacy.

CEvertFan
04-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Evert won at least one major per year for a record 13 straight years which is probably a record that will never be broken and shows how long and consistently she was able to remain a major threat.

pc1
04-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Evert almost never had bad performances in matches or tournaments. It's hard to think of anyone who played at such a consistent high level. I can think of times Navratilova and Graf were just awful and lost but I really can't think of one with Evert. Perhaps there may have been some at the end of her career but it escapes me.

BTURNER
04-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Evertfan. My stat was better because I posted first and I SAY so!!!

DMan
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Steffi Graf is the only player in tennis history to win each of the 4 majors, and successfully defend each and every one of them!

It's one thing to win a major. Once. It's another to have to come back the next year and have to defend. Successfully.

Steffi won every major. At least four times. And she successfully defended each and every one. And to boot, she did it twice!

That's another accomplishment that will never be repeated!

CEvertFan
04-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Steffi Graf is the only player in tennis history to win each of the 4 majors, and successfully defend each and every one of them!

It's one thing to win a major. Once. It's another to have to come back the next year and have to defend. Successfully.

Steffi won every major. At least four times. And she successfully defended each and every one. And to boot, she did it twice!

That's another accomplishment that will never be repeated!

An excellent point.

grafselesfan
04-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Court having 2 different years winning 3 out of 4 majors a full 11 years apart is very impressive. First accomplishing the feat as a 19 year old in 1962 and then as a 31 year old in 1973. I am not sure if anyone will ever do that again.

Also Graf having 3 different years in her career she entered atleast 3 different slams and winning all she entered. 1988, 1995, and 1996. Winniing the French-Wimbledon-U.S Open triple four different years as well, 1988, 1993, 1995, and 1996 as the Australian Open was the one she missed in both 1995 and 1996 anyway.

Navratilova's making atleast the semis of Wimbledon every year from 1978 to 1994 is an incredible stat, almost as impressive as her 6 straight titles and 9 overall. 17 straight years in the semis Wimbledon.

Connoly winning 9 straight slam events she entered while still a teenager is incredible also.

Most of the others I can think of were already mentioned.

boredone3456
04-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Evert's Career won % record is most impressive to me, I doubt that it will be equaled in the same sense as she acheived it. It shows her amazing consistancy and fortitude. Serena could get it, she is actually pretty close I think if she can whip herself into shape and actually care against the rest of the current field where she in good form is better then everyone around her right now save her sister and possibly Sharapova if she were to get healthy. But considering Chris played way more matches than Serena can ever hope to play it will still stand better to me, plus Chris had tougher competition to get it.

Court holding all 4 slams in 1970 is impressive, If Tennis had been an olympic sport at the time Steffi in my opinion would have some company in the Golden slam club, 1970 was a summer olympic year and Court would have been the odds on Favorite for the Gold medal if there was one available. Also...I have read Court's win % is something like .91? But since that transcends into the Pre-Open era its tough to back it up.

Graf Holding 4 of every slam is her impressive stat to me, it proves her ability as a mighty allcourt player. Soemone said in another thread if you had to pick a player to play for your life in their prime and not know the surface, you'd pick Graf. I would have to agree, that stat backs it up. The golden slam isn't so big in my eyes since Tennis wasn't always an olympic sport, not that anyones numbers except Court show they could match her, but its not fair because the oppurtunity was not available to every player in history.

For Nav its all her Wimbledons, and her utterdominance there until the emergence of Graf. Her record will be very tough to equal, let alone break.

Lionheart392
04-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Court having 2 different years winning 3 out of 4 majors a full 11 years apart is very impressive. First accomplishing the feat as a 19 year old in 1962 and then as a 31 year old in 1973. I am not sure if anyone will ever do that again.

Also Graf having 3 different years in her career she entered atleast 3 different slams and winning all she entered. 1988, 1995, and 1996. Winniing the French-Wimbledon-U.S Open triple four different years as well, 1988, 1993, 1995, and 1996 as the Australian Open was the one she missed in both 1995 and 1996 anyway.

Navratilova's making atleast the semis of Wimbledon every year from 1978 to 1994 is an incredible stat, almost as impressive as her 6 straight titles and 9 overall. 17 straight years in the semis Wimbledon.

Connoly winning 9 straight slam events she entered while still a teenager is incredible also.

Most of the others I can think of were already mentioned.

Navratilova only reached the QF of Wimbledon in 1991 I believe, but even so, it is indeed an awesome stat.

pc1
04-11-2009, 09:40 AM
That's really tough. Maureen Connolly winning 9 straight majors that she entered.

Margaret Court winning around 190 tournaments.

Navratilova winning 9 Wimbledons.

Monica Seles setting the grunting record. lol. Just kidding. Monica winning 7 out of 8 majors in the nineties.

If it's not just for females, how about Nadal being unbeaten at the French Open.
This is kind of fun. I'll be back for more.:)

egn
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Martina Navratilova has won the most open era singles and doubles titles for men and female.

DMan
04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Evert's Career won % record is most impressive to me, I doubt that it will be equaled in the same sense as she acheived it. It shows her amazing consistancy and fortitude. Serena could get it, she is actually pretty close I think if she can whip herself into shape and actually care against the rest of the current field where she in good form is better then everyone around her right now save her sister and possibly Sharapova if she were to get healthy. But considering Chris played way more matches than Serena can ever hope to play it will still stand better to me, plus Chris had tougher competition to get it.

Court holding all 4 slams in 1970 is impressive, If Tennis had been an olympic sport at the time Steffi in my opinion would have some company in the Golden slam club, 1970 was a summer olympic year and Court would have been the odds on Favorite for the Gold medal if there was one available. Also...I have read Court's win % is something like .91? But since that transcends into the Pre-Open era its tough to back it up.

Graf Holding 4 of every slam is her impressive stat to me, it proves her ability as a mighty allcourt player. Soemone said in another thread if you had to pick a player to play for your life in their prime and not know the surface, you'd pick Graf. I would have to agree, that stat backs it up. The golden slam isn't so big in my eyes since Tennis wasn't always an olympic sport, not that anyones numbers except Court show they could match her, but its not fair because the oppurtunity was not available to every player in history.

For Nav its all her Wimbledons, and her utterdominance there until the emergence of Graf. Her record will be very tough to equal, let alone break.

Serena has a very good career W-L record, but she is not even close to Evert's 90%. Serena is 420-89. I believe Chris won her 1000th match before she lost her 100th. I don't think Serena will win 500 before she loses her 100th.

1970 was not an Olympic year.

Navratilova lost to Capriati in the 1991 Wimbledon QF.

And not only did Graf win all 4 majors, and successfully defend each and every one. She successfully defended each one on her first try!