PDA

View Full Version : What surface do you prefer?

BERDI4
03-10-2005, 07:11 AM
What surface do you prefer playing? (Sorry I didn't know where to put this thread. So I put it in the racquets section).

BERDI4
03-10-2005, 07:50 AM
In my case I prefer soft surfaces, grass and clay

joe sch
03-10-2005, 07:52 AM
This could have been an interesting poll. Here in S.Cal we pretty much have the choice of hardcourts, some faster or slower depending upon the sand mix. Sure wish the playing public had some clay or grass to enjoy but thats mostly in a couple exclusive clubs or personal estates.

fantom
03-10-2005, 07:54 AM
I enjoy playing on clay courts, but I'm more effective on hard courts.

aj_m2009
03-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I guess hard courts since that is all I have played on.

TommyGun
03-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Is there any surface other then grass?

BERDI4
03-10-2005, 08:18 AM
This could have been an interesting poll.

I don't know how to make polls but, if you know, go ahead.

aj_m2009
03-10-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't know how to make polls but, if you know, go ahead.

When you are first creating a thread there at the bottom of the screen there will be something asking you if you want to make a poll with it. And sorry but you can't make a poll anymore. Like I said, only when you first create the thread.

james_R
03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Anything reasonably fast. I think i'd love grass but have never had the chance to play on it :-(

MusterFan
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Clay is the way. No question about it. Slows down the ball. Presents a nice high bounce. And, most importantly, protects 45-year-old knees (like those on MusterFan). Clay "civilizes" tennis by making the game easier and safer. The majority of my own play, though, takes place on municipal hardcourts. No choice in the matter. The very few clay facilities around here are reserved for private club members, and I ain't one of 'em. However, at least once a month, I'll travel 75 miles north to Dothan Alabama and spend a couple of hours on the public clay courts at the Westgate Tennis Center. I wouldn't drive that far to date Faith Hill, but for some dirt under my sneakers? Gladly.

Never tried grass. I can't volley worth a darn, so I'm sure I'd struggle. But, I'll still take it over anything that's painted.

Hewitt rulez
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Hard courts with strong bounce and the faster the better. Would like to play on grass but there arn't any around where I live.

RodgerDodger
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Over here in Australia, it seems that most of the courts are artificial grass (like astroturf) with sand distributed evenly over the surface to enable sliding etc.

I like playing on this surface but, then again, it's what I grew up on so it's comfortable. A lot of people are saying that maybe the dearth of Australian junior talent coming through is partly due to playing too much on these courts. At least a couple of former players have advocated building clay courts and having juniors developing their games on those, the suggestion being that the Spanish and South American players have been especially successful because they play on nothing else as juniors and it's a demanding surface that really forces you to improve your game.

I've played on a couple of clay courts over here but the quality of the courts wasn't great and I dare say they played nothing like a "professional" clay court would. The same goes for grass - it's tough over here to find a really good quality grass court that you can play consistently good tennis on with confidence.....that's just my experience.

Ronaldo
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Har-tru, does a body good. For $90/month from May-Sept, can play nearly everyday if my elbow allows it.

OldSchooLTennis
03-10-2005, 02:05 PM
At my local club we have this ultra fast rubberized surface and it playes very similar to grass. It's awamzing on your body good.

Ash_Smith
03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
My favourite surface is whatever I'm playing on today

SC in MA
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I used to prefer hardcourts over clay. I now prefer clay, though uneven clay courts are really awful. Next choice would be slow hardcourts.

Played a couple of times on uneven grass, where sometimes the ball didn't bounce at all and other times it would bounce or skid unpredictably. Serve and volley was the only way to play on those courts. I didn't enjoy it all that much.

ffrpg
03-10-2005, 02:28 PM
My favorite would have to be hard courts.

OldSchooLTennis
03-10-2005, 03:00 PM
I saw tarmac tennis courts before. It was bad.

Shaolin
03-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Clay courts if playing just for fun.

Probably indoor or another fast surface (carpet or grass) for tournaments.

Really anything other than outdoor medium paced hardcourt would be fine. So bored of hardcourts.

Tennis_baller
03-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I prefer slow hardcourts or clay.

Grimjack
03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Har-tru, does a body good. For $90/month from May-Sept, can play nearly everyday if my elbow allows it.

This sounds remarkably like the price structure at the Har-tru public courts I'll be playing here in the Chicago area in a couple months...

Grimjack
03-10-2005, 05:54 PM
This sounds remarkably like the price structure at the Har-tru public courts I'll be playing here in the Chicago area in a couple months...

Which reminds me, I need to update my user profile.

PrestigeClassic
03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
I've only played on slow hard courts with cracker-like surfaces, faster hard courts, and various clay courts, but I'm sure that my favorite would be grass and indoor, though I still don't mind clay courts at all.

MegacedU
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Har-tru which is what I play on during my nice humid not nearly long enough northeastern summers. Ahhhh.

Ronaldo
03-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Anyone use the public Har-tru in Louisville, Ky? How much is a membership or is it pay as you play on a daily basis?

Kirko
03-11-2005, 10:53 PM
learned on clay {har-tru] , but prefer hardcourt {cement}.

PrinceO3UserInOz
03-16-2006, 02:05 AM
I love to play in Synthetic grass. Have played on hard-courts, clay, and Synthetic grass.

dennis1188
03-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Over here in Australia, it seems that most of the courts are artificial grass (like astroturf) with sand distributed evenly over the surface to enable sliding etc.

I like playing on this surface but, then again, it's what I grew up on so it's comfortable. A lot of people are saying that maybe the dearth of Australian junior talent coming through is partly due to playing too much on these courts. At least a couple of former players have advocated building clay courts and having juniors developing their games on those, the suggestion being that the Spanish and South American players have been especially successful because they play on nothing else as juniors and it's a demanding surface that really forces you to improve your game.

I've played on a couple of clay courts over here but the quality of the courts wasn't great and I dare say they played nothing like a "professional" clay court would. The same goes for grass - it's tough over here to find a really good quality grass court that you can play consistently good tennis on with confidence.....that's just my experience.
I agree w/ the above the sand/turf surface, if well maintained, as at the private facilities is excellent. Not too slow, comfortable on legs/feet, enables sliding. Dries, quickly in the rainy season. Hardcourts, of course hv the best/accurate bounce, but hard on the legs, esp.if u play 4-6 times weekly.

danniflava
03-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I enjoy playing on clay courts, but I'm more effective on hard courts.

In my case, this is definitely true. The club I play at 80% of the time is a medium-paced hardcourt, but I love playing on clay, because I can focus on so many other things.

heycal
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Har-tru which is what I play on during my nice humid not nearly long enough northeastern summers. Ahhhh.

Do you play in Central Park? I played on the Har-Tru courts there at the end of a day once, and the surface was pretty scuffed and annoying to play on. Same with the Har-Tru courts in Prospect Park -- unpredictable bounces that can drive you nuts. I've never played on the public red clay courts they have in Riverside Park, but looking forward to trying them out when the weather gets nice.

When it comes to tennis courts, I am spoiled. For the last ten years, I have lived in a co-op outside New York City that has use of a fancy Country Club's courts because they are on land owned by the co-op. So just outside my door lie 9 immaculately groomed and sparsely used Har-Tru courts with towels and water jugs, etc. Free of charge. Play anytime, as long as you want...

The tragedy of this little tidbit? I have lived here for ten years, and only started playing tennis again late last summer and realized how much I loved it. So all those years and all those beautiful and empty free courts staring me in the face and me never setting foot on them. What a waste...

legolas
03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
30% hard court
30% grass
40% clay, it gives me more time with the ball

MegacedU
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Do you play in Central Park? I played on the Har-Tru courts there at the end of a day once, and the surface was pretty scuffed and annoying to play on. Same with the Har-Tru courts in Prospect Park -- unpredictable bounces that can drive you nuts. I've never played on the public red clay courts they have in Riverside Park, but looking forward to trying them out when the weather gets nice.

I don't play in Central because there's usually a wait. And I'm not one to do so. When I'm in the city, it's usually my non-tennis days, when I go to shop, or see a show, or go out with my friends there. I don't know if I've ever played on Har-tru courts in the city. I've played a couple of times at Eastside Tennis Club - but not recently. I've been pretty loyal to my club here I guess.

tennisnj
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I often prefer playing on red clay & har-tru (@ clubs in my area, no public courts) b/c they provide more of a challenge for me against most of my opponents. I'm more willing to play a weaker opponent on that stuff in singles or doubles b/c its 2 surfaces I'm not as strong on, b/c I don't play enough on them. I know I'm still going to beat them, but it makes it a little more competitive. I haven't played on synthetic grass since HS, & they were probably the worst syn grass courts the world has ever seen.

ace of spades
03-16-2006, 07:24 PM
i play on hardcourts almost all of the time but once in a while i play clay in the summer.
I thought all hardcourts wer fast. What makes them slower? and why do certain hard courts bounce more than others? (my club has nice high bounces and my school has medium-low bounces, it is also significantly slower)

heycal
03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I often prefer playing on red clay & har-tru (@ clubs in my area, no public courts) b/c they provide more of a challenge for me against most of my opponents. I'm more willing to play a weaker opponent on that stuff in singles or doubles b/c its 2 surfaces I'm not as strong on, b/c I don't play enough on them. I know I'm still going to beat them, but it makes it a little more competitive. I haven't played on synthetic grass since HS, & they were probably the worst syn grass courts the world has ever seen.

And perhaps the people you play on hard court are better on clay, but are willing to play on hard court just to give you a chance to be competitive with them so they won't beat you as badly as they would have on clay?;)

Nyl
03-16-2006, 09:24 PM
can someone explain different types of hard court ? i know one, that's rebounce ace ... but i've no clue what it means... can anyone help?

tennisnj
03-17-2006, 05:08 AM
And perhaps the people you play on hard court are better on clay, but are willing to play on hard court just to give you a chance to be competitive with them so they won't beat you as badly as they would have on clay?;)

I'll play that off as being true lol, except most of the people I play w/ play on clay even less then I do.

I guess the morale of the story is; Too often I play w/people who aren't as strong as I am.

goober
03-17-2006, 05:12 AM
I prefer slow hard courts. Green clay is nice but not that many places have it around here except private clubs.

westside
03-17-2006, 05:25 AM
I mostly just play on clay, i play alot better on it. I also enjoy playing on hard.

North
03-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Definitely hard courts, preferably indoor medium-to-fast. Much better for S&V, the ball moves quickly, bounces are not so high, and out of shape opponents can't just chase everything down. It all makes the points much more exciting and interesting.

Caswell
03-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I prefer hard courts, but my club has match play almost exclusively on clay.

I've had a heck of a time making the transistion, primarily because of some quirks in my footwork that never hurt me on a hard court but get me passed more than I care to admit on clay.

Also not a big fan of what it slowing down my first serve, which is my primary weapon.

Looking towards the future though, I'm glad I'm playing on clay at 27. Means less wear and tear to deal with as I get older.

Rickson
03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
What surface do you prefer playing? (Sorry I didn't know where to put this thread. So I put it in the racquets section).
I like horsing around on clay because I'm a dropshot master from both wings, but for match play, I like hard courts because I like the net and volleying on clay is difficult because the balls are so retrievable. I make sure I volley well away from my opponent when I'm on clay, otherwise, I'll be getting passed left and right. Back to clay; the ball dies so nicely when you hit a short slice. Clay dropshots seem to die much quicker than on hard courts. I can't say whether I'd like grass or not because I've never played on it, but being a c&c/s&v player, I think I'd like grass.

Rickson
03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Definitely hard courts, preferably indoor medium-to-fast. Much better for S&V, the ball moves quickly, bounces are not so high, and out of shape opponents can't just chase everything down. It all makes the points much more exciting and interesting.
The funny thing is that clay courts don't give a higher bounce than hard courts, but the bounce is more vertical than horizontal which makes the balls much easier to retrieve. On hard courts while the bounce is about as high as clay, the balls go longer after the bounce than on clay. That's why clay gives a feeling of "slow"; the balls bounce almost straight up and not long, so the returner can chase down many balls that would be winners or forced errors on other surfaces.

North
03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
The funny thing is that clay courts don't give a higher bounce than hard courts, but the bounce is more vertical than horizontal which makes the balls much easier to retrieve. On hard courts while the bounce is about as high as clay, the balls go longer after the bounce than on clay. That's why clay gives a feeling of "slow"; the balls bounce almost straight up and not long, so the returner can chase down many balls that would be winners or forced errors on other surfaces.

Yeah, you're right - that's really more what it's like. The clay also seems to exacerbate the weird backspins/underspins of pusher-type players. I mainly don't like clay because it's harder to S&V and because it does not give me as big an advantage with my speed around the court, which on hard courts is almost always a major advantage for me over my opponent.

Andres
03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Clay, but it doesn't fit my style.
Is it sooo niiice to my knees! :D

Andres
03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, you're right - that's really more what it's like. The clay also seems to exacerbate the weird backspins/underspins of pusher-type players. I mainly don't like clay because it's harder to S&V and because it does not give me as big an advantage with my speed around the court, which on hard courts is almost always a major advantage for me over my opponent.

Kickserves on clay are extremely effective for S&V.
Try the nastiest kick out of your serve, and you'll have a great service to try your S&V on clay.

North
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Kickserves on clay are extremely effective for S&V.
Try the nastiest kick out of your serve, and you'll have a great service to try your S&V on clay.

LOL - I do have a good kick serve and that's probably the only thing OK about clay is how high the kick serves jump! If I have to play on clay I often (depending on the opponent) will use the kick for first serves, just moving the serve around even more than I usually do. Have never played on grass - I think I would love it.

djones
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I have never played on hardcourt since we don't have it much in Holland, Europe.
But I believe hardcourt is the court that would fit me the best.

SAMPRAS
03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
The Hard Is The Best
http://mams.rmit.edu.au/ln1748uukhpt.jpg

oscar_2424
03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
HArd couts usually, i dont mind playing on clay, and i have never played on grass

thejackal
03-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Hard court, i also do well on indoor carpet. Played on synthetic grass once and liked the look of it.

AngeloDS
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
What surface do I prefer? Indoor carpet, it's pretty easy on the joints and pretty nice. It's like a very good mix between hardcourt and grass. It deadens the bounce so it doesn't bounce up as high, as well as take a bit off the power.

The only thing I don't like about carpet is if it's old or used a lot it gets gritty and a lot of bad bounces.

I like hard court but it's tough on the joints and I'm not a fan of power tennis :p. I like playing a medium paced game with a lot of variety vs power & grinding out points.

Sixpointone
03-18-2006, 06:46 AM
My favorite Court surface to play on is Grass.

Rickson
03-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Clay is the great neutralizer. Flat balls react like sitters, bouncing almost straight up instead of zipping past the baseline. So many balls can be retrieved which would normally be out of play on fast surfaces. I use heavy topspin on clay because I figure if the ball is gonna go vertical anyway, I might as well give the ball some more bite.

AceYouVeryMuch
03-18-2006, 07:33 AM
I've only played on hard court.

jackabee
03-18-2006, 07:41 AM
My favourite surface - well I have only played on hard court and artificial grass (which was flooded) but I play hard court every day and love it - would love to play on grass and clay though!

Cyclops
03-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Hard court definately.
I would like to try clay, but don't fancy trying grass much.
Looks really hard and more unpredictable.

AngeloDS
03-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Grass is pretty nice; I've got a chance to play on grass a few times.

Sadly here in WA it rains a lot so I played in the summer when it's a little bit hotter outside. So the ball was bouncing pretty nicely but still a very dead bounce. If it was colder or more damp outside it probably would have bounced up lower. It was really nice on my joints so my ankles and knees felt fine.

yo_3133
03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
clay definitely

tonysk83
03-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I love playing on my clubs indoor carpet. I usually will play on hardcourts during nice weather months of the year. I have played on har-tru a few times under a bubble and hated it. I am going to try it in the summer though without a bubble. Bubbles suck.

mislav
03-18-2006, 10:27 AM
I really love playing on a clay court. Apart from clay, I've played (and still play) on hard courts of various speeds and concrete/cement or what was it.

Hard courts are quite interesting and fun to play after a series of games on a clay court, but I tend to get bored with it soon enough and wish to go back to clay. That concrete/cement type of tennis court is my least favorite option, but I never say no to a game of tennis, no matter what the court is made of. :D

fjgarciap
03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't mind playing on clay or hard, but prefer hard courts because points are shorter there than on clay -and because my shoes and socks don't get extra dirt ;). Never had the chance to play on grass, I would love to try but unfortunately there are only a few private ones.

hbueain
03-18-2006, 04:41 PM
indoor hard court.. hate outdoor when the weather is cold/windy

egitserp
03-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Hard Court.

fabulousxp
03-18-2006, 10:13 PM
i've only tried grass and hardcourt.. but i prefer hardcourt cause thats like practically all they have here in the public courts in so cal. they're going to ahve a clay tourn. somehwere over in a club, i was thinking of entering..i've never played on it before though..bad idea/good idea?