PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Old Stubborn Tournagrip??

gmlasam
03-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I dug up some of my old racquets, and I removed the old tournagrip, but they fell apart when I peeled them off. The remaining matarials are practically glued on. How to remove them without ruining the orginal grip?

Old peeled off tournagrip (about 6 years old)
http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/oldgrip2.jpg

Remaing tournagrip after removing.
http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/images/oldgrip1.jpg

foucapol
03-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Moisten with hot water and you can remove most of remaining tourna grip. If there are still sticky remnants, apply some of gasoline and wipe out. Then, you can recover the original grip.

proxemo666
03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
gasoline? lol..

Use ethyl alcohol. Takes the sticky remnants off.

Geezer Guy
03-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Or, just peel off the original grip and replace. Cost you just $7 or $8 bucks, and take you about 3 minutes.

POGO
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Actually, using gasoline or alcohol can ruin the original grip. The best way is to use warm water like foucapol mentioned or you can hit with those racquets so just enough for you to sweat on the grips. By the time you finish a game, the old tournagrip will be practically be removed.

KFwinds
03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
THE BEST way is with an "orange" cleaner like Goo-Gone, etc...

won't ruin your grip; I've cleaned several this way. Hope this helps!

PrestigeClassic
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Nasty. I usually don't mind a few specs of Tourna Grip residue, but that's like half the grip. In the future, you might want to unwrap a heavily used Tourna Grip and let all the sweat evaporate from the replacement grip. If those were leather grips, they'd be extremely hard and dry now. I bet even synthetic grips wouldn't be much good anymore. Unless they are the frames' original grips, I would forego the cleaning and replace them with some good Gamma Hi-Tech or some leather grips.

gmlasam
03-11-2005, 09:37 PM
PrestigeClassic,

That Gamma Hi-Tech pretty thin? My RD-7s have thin grips, and most replacemnt grips tend to bulk and make the grip size larger than the orginal.

PrestigeClassic
03-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Have you tried wrapping the replacement grip on the tight side? I've read that Hi-Tech is on the hard and heavy side, sort of like the most leather-like synthetic, but I've actually yet to try it. I have tried a few Head synthetic replacement grips, however, and they are nice and thin. The bevels can really be felt, as well as the butt cap feeling substantial due to there not being some thick grip to make everything feel rounded and mushy. Makes my Head handle feel even smaller.

tedmeister
03-12-2005, 03:38 AM
That Gamma Hi-Tech pretty thin? My RD-7s have thin grips, and most replacemnt grips tend to bulk and make the grip size larger than the orginal.
Thinner than most grips you'll find out there. Used to recommend this to guys who want their grips as small as possible.