PDA

View Full Version : Safin to retire at the end of the year

deltox
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Found an article in tennis magazine today saying safin is done after this novembers paris indoor.

MajinX
04-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Um yea old news, santoro is also gone.

deltox
04-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Um yea old news, santoro is also gone.

sorry i didnt see it til i read the magazine today. magazine also reports nadal has 8-1 odds for a grand slam this year, which is very good odds actually in comparison.

GS
04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, he said he would give it one more try this year. But the results haven't been good. Hopefully, he's invested his dough wisely enough for the future, and to keep those babes around for a few years. On a brighter note, his sister will be #1 on the WTA Tour pretty soon....

Tennisguy777
04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Safin is not going anywhere he'll be back who else is going to destroy his tennis racquets for him!

Solid Ace
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Safin is not going anywhere he'll be back who else is going to destroy his tennis racquets for him!
Gonzo
10 char

Leublu tennis
04-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, he said he would give it one more try this year. I hadn't heard. What he did say last year was that he wanted to get into top 50 at the end of the year. He was in the high 80s then. And he finished at #29.

But the results haven't been good. You say. He is now #21. And was close several times at picking up some serious points. Just wait. There is still time this year. Davai, Marat!

NotSoSuper
04-10-2009, 05:47 PM
His ranking is only high because of the wimbledon semi. Hes been able to keep it up with a win or two in each tournament, but no big results.

His ranking will slip big time after wimbledon.. I hope im wrong.

Serendipitous
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
His ranking is only high because of the wimbledon semi. Hes been able to keep it up with a win or two in each tournament, but no big results.

His ranking will slip big time after wimbledon.. I hope im wrong.

If he does poorly in Wimbledon, he will want to retire even more when his ranking shoots down. :-?

egn
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Anyone else finding it kind of funny that Safin and Santoro are leaving together

egn
04-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Found an article in tennis magazine today saying safin is done after this novembers paris indoor.

What happens if he qualifies for the YEC?

Serendipitous
04-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Anyone else finding it kind of funny that Safin and Santoro are leaving together

I wouldn't call it irony.....I would call it a coincidence. But yeah, I see it. :)

egn
04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't call it irony.....I would call it a coincidence. But yeah, I see it. :)

yea true bad choice of word hehe it makes me laugh though oh man it would be great if they meet at paris for one last match.

deltox
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
What happens if he qualifies for the YEC?

all i know is the article said he announced last week that the paris indoor event in november would be his fairwell event. its wasnt an article but a little paragraph on a page

egn
04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
all i know is the article said he announced last week that the paris indoor event in november would be his fairwell event. its wasnt an article but a little paragraph on a page

so heres to hoping Safin gets into the YEC and delays his retirement. The more Safin the better.

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Now that there is no longer a "Race" ladder does that mean the YEC is decided by the 52 week ranking system? Or does the "Race" still exist privately?

Kobble
04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Old and sad news. I think a lot of guys who have enough money are bowing out. The competition is tough; almost hopeless for most people to defeat Nadal, Federer and Murray. Also, the environment around some of the tournaments I've been to isn't so nice. I know if I was in tennis, I might not want to be there too much. I think I've said it before, but the tennis atmosphere seems to be great for a 21 year old. You are traveling the world and your friends are at home sweating finals to get their college degrees, or out trying to find an apartment and a job. The venues are all new to you. For that kind of mentality, it is the gravy life. After 25, the beauty of it all fades. Same **** every year. And, sometimes, you remember it being better 3 years ago. Some new cocky 21 year old takes the world by storm, makes you feel old, and less young girls chase you around, which makes you feel older. I think a guy like Safin would have an easier time playing tennis if it was just about tennis. The travel, and the routine must be a killer over the years. I know after taking a whole day of Key Biscane, I just wanted to find a quiet place to sit and eat my grouper sandwich before the ride home. I sat in the same grandstand court Demetieva was playing in, and barely watched. Mostly stared at the sky like King Kong. I thought, man, how do these people take this stuff long term?

egn
04-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Now that there is no longer a "Race" ladder does that mean the YEC is decided by the 52 week ranking system? Or does the "Race" still exist privately?

I believe it is currently determined by the 52 week ranking system which is a tad bit unfair, because the race worked a little better because the ranking at the YEC will include points won in last years year end cup. Say for example Djokovic slips to 8 (probably won't happen but anyway) so he is at rank 8 but racewise he would be 9, but his points from winning last years YEC keep him 200 points ahead of 9 it would qualify him again for the tournament. He goes 0-3 in the RR so he gets 0 points from it I believe that is how it works or maybe he gets 100 or 200 but anyway he then loses the points and does not finish well enough to stay in 8 and finishes 9. However the player who is now 8 who was 8 in the race never got a chance to play in the YEC and is robbed of a chance to make a jump at the end of the year. The race worked because it rewareded the 8 best players of the current year, although most times the 8 players in the race top 8 are the same as the 52 week top 8 prior to the year before there is an outside chance of a scenario I proposed happening and it would create for a sticky situation.

Leublu tennis
04-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I believe it is currently determined by the 52 week ranking system Thats what I thought too but a couple of people jumped all over me for a similar statement. They even gave some kind of stats for current "race" standings.

But I seem to recall that even when race was kept by the ATP, the "world #1" player was still being selected on the 52 week basis. So each January the listing of players referred to 52 weeks and not whoever happened to have won the first title of the year. It always took most of the year for the "race" to pretty much equal the 52 weeks.

MajinX
04-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I believe it is currently determined by the 52 week ranking system which is a tad bit unfair, because the race worked a little better because the ranking at the YEC will include points won in last years year end cup. Say for example Djokovic slips to 8 (probably won't happen but anyway) so he is at rank 8 but racewise he would be 9, but his points from winning last years YEC keep him 200 points ahead of 9 it would qualify him again for the tournament. He goes 0-3 in the RR so he gets 0 points from it I believe that is how it works or maybe he gets 100 or 200 but anyway he then loses the points and does not finish well enough to stay in 8 and finishes 9. However the player who is now 8 who was 8 in the race never got a chance to play in the YEC and is robbed of a chance to make a jump at the end of the year. The race worked because it rewareded the 8 best players of the current year, although most times the 8 players in the race top 8 are the same as the 52 week top 8 prior to the year before there is an outside chance of a scenario I proposed happening and it would create for a sticky situation.

they take out last years ranking points a week before the tourney starts, but really it doesnt matter when its taken out... coz ppl only qualify if it is not possible for them to drop out of the top 8, while it is still possible they wouldnt qualify so if lets say djokovic is at number 8 right now and he has those 1300 points hes gonna drop and number 9 could potentially catch up to him, they wouldnt put djokovic as a qualifier until he is for sure a top 8. so its still all fair.

Ocean Drive
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM

What rock have you been under, people have known this for nearly 5 months.

tacou
04-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Paris Final: Safin vs Santoro. oh yes