PDA

View Full Version : Possible Coaches for Roger Federer..

RFtennis
04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Roger obviously needs and coach but I was wondering who you think should coach him??

I was thinking Boris Becker.
What about you guys..

OddJack
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Now that Cahil is out, I think Annacone is the best candidate.

TheNatural
04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
what about Anthony Robbins?

atac
04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think Roger is even considering getting a coach.

jman
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Now that Cahil is out, I think Annacone is the best candidate.

I guess he is the next best option after cahill. It's such a shame cahill didn't take up the offer. I really thought federer coached under cahill would probably get another 4 slams, including the french.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Interesting thread...Mats Wilander is a strategic master but mostly in the defensive game,Paul Annacone is also a strategic master when it comes to playing aggressively,IMO Fed would need 50% of both.

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Federer needs someone whom he can listen to and not someone who he can tell what to do. A person who can tell Federer yes you have talent but lets now leave that at the door and get some tactics because talent can only get you so far

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Federer needs someone whom he can listen to and not someone who he can tell what to do. A person who can tell Federer yes you have talent but lets now leave that at the door and get some tactics because talent can only get you so far

Absolutely,but it`s gotta be a coach with lots of balls who can stand up and convince the Swissmiss what he NEEDS do to year 2009

clayman2000
04-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Judging on Federer's needs i would say (and this will never happen).....
Brad Gilbert!!

There is a reason behind this. Federer is reaching a stage where his machine like winners are no longer as accurate as before. Federer's problem is that when he starts missing agressive shots, he then tries to rally longer with the player aka slice, and now is more prone to being out hit in a rally. Right now he just waits for short balls before attacking

However i think Federer has to take a more agressive approach at guys like Nadal and Murray. His second serve returns can no longer be chips and he has to maybe try and return and volley more on Murray and Nadals second serve.

Federer is a great volleyer, and approach's well. When Gilbert coached Roddick, he wanted him to S&V more. Thats what Federer should do.

Hes too much about pretty play, fancy footwork, and out manoevering his opponent. If he wants to win more majors he has to S&V, attack, atack attack

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Judging on Federer's needs i would say (and this will never happen).....
Brad Gilbert!!

There is a reason behind this. Federer is reaching a stage where his machine like winners are no longer as accurate as before. Federer's problem is that when he starts missing agressive shots, he then tries to rally longer with the player aka slice, and now is more prone to being out hit in a rally. Right now he just waits for short balls before attacking

However i think Federer has to take a more agressive approach at guys like Nadal and Murray. His second serve returns can no longer be chips and he has to maybe try and return and volley more on Murray and Nadals second serve.

Federer is a great volleyer, and approach's well. When Gilbert coached Roddick, he wanted him to S&V more. Thats what Federer should do.

Hes too much about pretty play, fancy footwork, and out manoevering his opponent. If he wants to win more majors he has to S&V, attack, atack attack

Yes,as i said,to be strategic,both in his defensive-game and in his attack-game,hes gotta pich and chose,but yes he has got to come to the net a LOT more!

slice bh compliment
04-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Connors - they look alike.
Cahill - taken, basically.
Gilbert - personality problems.
Lundgren - history.
Annacone - Coney's perfect from the attacking tennis and the Pete connection.
Jakob Hlasek - water under the bridge?
Stefan Edberg, if Stefan is willing to travel.
If only Tony Pickard were younger.
If only Pat Cash were not a cheesball.
Pat Rafter or Pete the Greek - that would be kind of cool.
Andre Agassi?
Stoltenberg, Jason.
Simon Cowell.
Eliot Teltscher.
Uncle Toni.

sh@de
04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Uncle Toni = best option.

Ash_Smith
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Me?

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Absolutely,but it`s gotta be a coach with lots of balls who can stand up and convince the Swissmiss what he NEEDS do to year 2009

It has to come from Fed, he has to know himself that he needs those extra pair of eyes that see what he does not. Possibly not some big name but someone who is not known and someone that can give him the pointers he needs and YES someone with enough balls to give it to his player and not "federer" the name. Lets face it Federer may be losing some matches and or confidence but he is still the man imo and he needs just a little nip and tuck here and there he is back making a mess at the slam level and even the 1000 tournaments. Greatness imo does not just disappear and you don't suddenly forget how good you are.

Rickson
04-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Pete would be a good option.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
It has to come from Fed, he has to know himself that he needs those extra pair of eyes that see what he does not. Possibly not some big name but someone who is not known and someone that can give him the pointers he needs and YES someone with enough balls to give it to his player and not "federer" the name. Lets face it Federer may be losing some matches and or confidence but he is still the man imo and he needs just a little nip and tuck here and there he is back making a mess at the slam level and even the 1000 tournaments. Greatness imo does not just disappear and you don't suddenly forget how good you are.

I agree,and GOD do i hope you are right...

quest01
04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I think Pete's old coach, Paul Annacone would be a good choice. Annacone was one of those players who would chip and charge on his opponents first serve.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
I think Pete's old coach, Paul Annacone would be a good choice. Annacone was one of those players who would chip and charge on his opponents first serve.

Really? LOL,that takes some skills to do that!:)

T1000
04-11-2009, 09:12 AM
ivan lendl. fed needs to get fitter and mentally tougher

slice bh compliment
04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
ivan lendl. fed needs to get fitter and mentally tougher

Well, then, Lundgren, clearly.

;-)

Xuxa Kuerten
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
It would be nice to see Larri Passos coaching him. Federer would have his best chance to win RG.

Blade0324
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Dr. Phil
10 char.

2ndserveace
04-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I think either Brad Gilbert or Paul Annacone would be the best for him. Annacone has dealt with a possible GOAT before and succeeded in helping Pete pull out of his almost 2 year long slump. As was mentioned before Annacone is also great at coaching aggressive tennis, which Fed needs in order to beat Nadal and Murray. Gilbert gave a shot of confidence to both Agassi and Roddick. Gilbert is a mental genius who won plenty of matches with no gifts at all, while Fed is as talented as it gets. I've read Gilbert's book and it helped me alot with my mental game. Roger needs his confidence and mental strength back in order to succeed. Both of them have the balls to put roger in his place when needed. The only downside to Annacone is that he might feel a loyalty to Pete, and for him to coach Roger up past Pete's record might seem like he's betraying Pete. The problem with Gilbert is that he has a big personality. In the end, either one of these men would be great for Fed. Imagine if he got both.

Rogisbestever
04-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Cahill would be best candidate in my view were he free to do the gig

velkov
04-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Pete would be a good option.

pete will guide him to win fo ??? :)

velkov
04-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Brad Gilbert is the man . fed needs just few months with him to get bas his confidence of winner !!