PDA

View Full Version : Federer vs Murray On Clay Who's Better?

Knightmace
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Never met each otehr beofre I'd give Fed the edge only ny his reults thus far.

THERAFA
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Has Murray ever won a clay court event?

Leublu tennis
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
He came close last year. Got to R16 a couple of times. Might get to QF this year. Maybe not. A lot of good clay players out there. Murrey ain't one of them.

Leublu tennis
04-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, Federer 6-0, 6-0.

westside
04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Federer for sure

Knightmace
04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh, Federer 6-0, 6-0.
don't think so if they met this year, maybe a 6-4,5-7,6-3,7-6 to federer

aphex
04-10-2009, 11:16 PM
don't think so if they met this year, maybe a 6-4,5-7,6-3,7-6 to federer

how many deuces??

Knightmace
04-10-2009, 11:21 PM
^^^I don't know like 22

Knightmace
04-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe 3 hour 20 minutes

aphex
04-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe 3 hour 20 minutes

lulz________

Knightmace
04-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Murray has improved so much and has a big record over Fed ubt I'm still giving Fed the edge on clay.

batz
04-11-2009, 12:37 AM
You have to go with Roger on this. Murray will improve this year on clay; but not that much.

thejoe
04-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Federer by miles. I can't believe we're asking this question.

thalivest
04-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Stupid stupid thread. Murray has achieved squat on clay up to now.

miyagi
04-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Fed. stupid thread of the year?

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Exactly the Murray hype is beyond a joke now.

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 01:44 AM
A better question would be who's better on clay Andy or Murray or Robby Ginepri?

batz
04-11-2009, 01:56 AM
There's a fair amount of hubris on this thread, but not from the OP.

I wonder if Roger will be as confident as some of those demonstrating this hubris if he looks over the net next Saturday and sees Murray looking back?

miyagi
04-11-2009, 02:15 AM
There's a fair amount of hubris on this thread, but not from the OP.

I wonder if Roger will be as confident as some of those demonstrating this hubris if he looks over the net next Saturday and sees Murray looking back?

We always have obessive people on the forum and you are turning into one

Roger >>>>>>>>> Murray on clay.

That is a fact it is NOT debateable.

When Murray matches Feds achievements on clay then this can be revisted. For now you are just showing yourself up as being biased.

Cloudy
04-11-2009, 02:16 AM
omg this thread is hilarious. When Andy gets beyond quarters on clay I might consider him in the same league as Federer

TMCW140
04-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Murray has done nothing on clay, and Federer is the 2nd best clay courter out there atm. kinda obvious really

Pirao
04-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Federer of course, it's not even close. I'm pretty sure Fed would like to face Murray on clay as many times as possible to improve that H2H.

Ronny
04-11-2009, 03:30 AM
why do ppl think murray is soo good on clay? he has yet to reach the qf's of the FO let balone 4th round(i think) and he hasnt won any clay tournaments(good ones)...federer has made the past dunno how many finals of hte FO and a lot more finals and titles in masters than murray...why is this even a question?

batz
04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
We always have obessive people on the forum and you are turning into one

Roger >>>>>>>>> Murray on clay.

That is a fact it is NOT debateable.

When Murray matches Feds achievements on clay then this can be revisted. For now you are just showing yourself up as being biased.

Wait a minute. I said up the thread that you had to go with Roger on this. There is no question as to who has the better record on clay or who is the better player on clay. I voted for Rafa to win MC in the match results forum, I've never said that murray can do any better on clay this season than SF, but because I have the temerity to imply that maybe, just maybe, if Roger faces Murray next Saturday that he won't have the ABSOLUTE confidence that you and others seem to have in the outcome of that match, I'm biased?

Is it so fantastical to suggest that a guy who has beaten Roger 4 times in a row and is clearly inside Roger's head, who is riding a massive wave of confidence might be viewed by Roger as a possible threat if they met next Saturday?

joe sch
04-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Correct. How can this thread creator wonder this question ? Federer has been the 2nd best player in the world on dirt the last few years !

maximo
04-11-2009, 03:50 AM
I reckon djokovic would beat federer on clay if they met at RG.

vtmike
04-11-2009, 03:54 AM
I can't believe 5 people voted for Murray...Now we know there were atleast 5 Fed haters who visited this thread!

miyagi
04-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Wait a minute. I said up the thread that you had to go with Roger on this. There is no question as to who has the better record on clay or who is the better player on clay. I voted for Rafa to win MC in the match results forum, I've never said that murray can do any better on clay this season than SF, but because I have the temerity to imply that maybe, just maybe, if Roger faces Murray next Saturday that he won't have the ABSOLUTE confidence that you and others seem to have in the outcome of that match, I'm biased?

Is it so fantastical to suggest that a guy who has beaten Roger 4 times in a row and is clearly inside Roger's head, who is riding a massive wave of confidence might be viewed by Roger as a possible threat if they met next Saturday?

Well it seemed like you were suggesting Murray is actually better than Fed on clay which I disgaree with. I would expect Fed to beat Murray if he loses then we know there is a HUGE problem.

I would love to see this match. But I just dont think we can put mention Murray in the same breath as Fed on clay right now?

batz
04-11-2009, 03:56 AM
I think the OP is asking one question in the thread title but answering another in the thread.

The title asks who is better on clay, but the thread itself seems to be his view on who would win in a clay match between Roger and Murray.

batz
04-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Well it seemed like you were suggesting Murray is actually better than Fed on clay which I disgaree with. I would expect Fed to beat Murray if he loses then we know there is a HUGE problem.

I would love to see this match. But I just dont think we can put mention Murray in the same breath as Fed on clay right now?

It was never my intention to suggest that and I don't believe I did. To re-iterate, Roger is clearly the better clay player.

All I'm suggesting is that the recent matches between the 2 might have a bearing if they end up meeting in the semis next weekend. That's just a might, not a will, and roger would still be the hot favourite if they met.

I hope I've cleared that up now. Cheers.

Josherer
04-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Lol at 5 people who chose Murray!!!

Hahaha

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Federer has been to more finals and won more titles on clay than Murray, Feds only problem is Murray is beating every time they meet and i'm not sure Murray is going to faulter even if it is clay but it remains to be seen what will happen on clay.

miyagi
04-11-2009, 04:05 AM
It was never my intention to suggest that and I don't believe I did. To re-iterate, Roger is clearly the better clay player.

All I'm suggesting is that the recent matches between the 2 might have a bearing if they end up meeting in the semis next weekend. That's just a might, not a will, and roger would still be the hot favourite if they met.

I hope I've cleared that up now. Cheers.

Ok well I agree with you then.

T1000
04-11-2009, 04:06 AM
what has murray done on clay.................
what has federer done (finalist at RG, won some titles) i think we have a winner

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 04:16 AM
I don't think its question of what he has done on clay because we all should know what Federer has done more on clay but is it possible that Andy could beat Federer on clay and i think the answer is yes because the damage has been done mentally plus Murray is fitter, faster, stronger and mentally tougher. Ever since the Us open final Andy Murray has won every match 3 times being a set down and coming back to win. Federer has the advantage but he also had the advantage on hard courts if we are going by the "what has Murray done on hard court vs what Federer has done", clearly back then Federer had done more but that did not stop Murray from beating Federer so what will stop him doing so on clay. Question is who's game is better on clay Federer or Murray, what do you guys think?

nhat8121
04-11-2009, 04:18 AM
so federer is better on clay than hard court now?

movement, they're about the same
federer hasn't beat murray lately on hard court

yet, on clay he will destroy murray?

nhat8121
04-11-2009, 04:23 AM
what has murray done on clay.................
what has federer done (finalist at RG, won some titles) i think we have a winner

ahh yes, you're very wise

this is indeed the deciding factor on who will win, cha ching.

what has michael chang done? win 1 RG
what has federer done? some finalists only...i think we know who will win here...

T1000
04-11-2009, 04:28 AM
ahh yes, you're very wise

this is indeed the deciding factor on who will win, cha ching.

what has michael chang done? win 1 RG
what has federer done? some finalists only...i think we know who will win here...

Murray is the most overrated person on the boards now. he's a one surface player who has done nothing on clay or grass. you cant compare to people when one has actually done something on clay while the other hasnt made it past the 3rd round at RG.

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 04:30 AM
I don't think its question of what he has done on clay because we all should know what Federer has done more on clay but is it possible that Andy could beat Federer on clay and i think the answer is yes because the damage has been done mentally plus Murray is fitter, faster, stronger and mentally tougher. Ever since the Us open final Andy Murray has won every match 3 times being a set down and coming back to win. Federer has the advantage but he also had the advantage on hard courts if we are going by the "what has Murray done on hard court vs what Federer has done", clearly back then Federer had done more but that did not stop Murray from beating Federer so what will stop him doing so on clay. Question is who's game is better on clay Federer or Murray, what do you guys think?

T1000
04-11-2009, 04:33 AM

Murray has never won a best of 5 match with fed. the only person to do it somewhat recently besides rafa was djoker. I don't think fed would lose to murray on clay especially best of 5.

batz
04-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Murray has never won a best of 5 match with fed. the only person to do it somewhat recently besides rafa was djoker. I don't think fed would lose to murray on clay especially best of 5.

Whilst I agree Roger would be hot favourite to beat Murray on clay over 3 or 5 sets, they have only played 1 best of 5 match, so statements like 'Murray has never won a 5 set match against Fed' don't hold that much water.

nhat8121
04-11-2009, 04:49 AM
I don't think its question of what he has done on clay because we all should know what Federer has done more on clay but is it possible that Andy could beat Federer on clay and i think the answer is yes because the damage has been done mentally plus Murray is fitter, faster, stronger and mentally tougher. Ever since the Us open final Andy Murray has won every match 3 times being a set down and coming back to win. Federer has the advantage but he also had the advantage on hard courts if we are going by the "what has Murray done on hard court vs what Federer has done", clearly back then Federer had done more but that did not stop Murray from beating Federer so what will stop him doing so on clay. Question is who's game is better on clay Federer or Murray, what do you guys think?agree, bravo.

janipyt05
04-11-2009, 05:05 AM

Aw come on now we are moving the goal post to say well he may beat him but not in a best of five a beating is a beating whether its a best of five or not. I don't not believe that Federer could beat Murray but i also believe that Murray could beat Federer more so Murray than Federer because his done so the past 4 meetings yes not on clay, i think Murray's game really could do some damage to Federer's on a slower surfaces, what gives Federer the edge other than his been to more finals was that not the case on hard court Federer has far more experience and has many more titles but what did that matter not much because Andy has go on to beat Federer plenty of times. It will be inertesting to see how they play what tactics they will use. I think it is more important for Federer to beat Andy now more than Andy beating Federer, i never thought i would say that. :)

tomas9848
04-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I say we look at who has won more titles. FEDERER.

DunlopDood
04-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Silly question, since if it wasn't for Nadal, Federer would have won this tournament four times already. No way that Murrey would be able to do that.

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Fed fans defensive heh? I do expect Murray to start beating Fed on clay but right now he lacks experience on clay. I think by next year Murray will be better on all surfaces against Fed.

egn
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
so federer is better on clay than hard court now?

movement, they're about the same
federer hasn't beat murray lately on hard court

yet, on clay he will destroy murray?

LMAO Its not federer being better on clay it is how AWFUL Murray has been on the surface. Murray who for his career is 11-14 on clay. Oh Federer by the way is actually a very good clay courter. Funny thing you should know his first master series title came on clay, He has won 4 Clay court Master series. He has been to 10 clay court master series finals and 3 French Open finals. He has won 75 percent of his clay court matches and his first slam quarters came at the French Open.

egn
04-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Fed fans defensive heh? I do expect Murray to start beating Fed on clay but right now he lacks experience on clay. I think by next year Murray will be better on all surfaces against Fed.

It's funny cause even Nadal fans and known Fed haters defended Fed. This is a stupid thread, I am pretty sure you can see that and honestly I don't think murray will be better than Fed on clay for a while, because Murray's game does not seem like it will transfer to clay well.

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 12:19 PM
It depends which Federer you mean. The Federer who made 3 RG finals is obviously better. The Federer who played IW and Miami 2009 would lose not only to Murray but to a number of very good or very inspired players on any given day.