PDA

View Full Version : Pronation

anton785
04-04-2004, 01:39 PM
There are multiple discussions on this message board regarding pronation and its importance in everything from the forehand to the serve. All of this has led me, the average tennis player, to wonder: What exactly is pronation? And furthermore, Is it something that occurs naturally during the serve or groundstroke motion, or is it something that must be learned and integrated into the motion?

Also, it seems that if one was to ask three different people, he/she would receive three different definitions as to what pronation really is. So, is there one clear definition of pronation? If so I need to be enlightened with a clear indisputable definition and how it is important to all the facets of tennis. So if anyone here has the downlow on pronation, please help me out here and explain.

zenmaster
04-04-2004, 03:28 PM
on the serve its where the wrist will impact the ball and snap facing to the right. Can't explain it that well, but look at the pros wrist snap, that's pronation

kreative
04-04-2004, 03:52 PM
to get a feel of what pronation is, try this (w/o a racquet). put your arm out in front of you and pretend like you're giving someone a "thumb's up" (i.e. the thumb is sticking straight up, and if it were a clock dial, would be pointing at the 12 o'clock position). now rotate your forearm (the area between your elbow and your wrist) to the left so that your thumb points towards 9 o'clock. this action is called pronation. you'll notice the palm of your hand is facing downwards.

pronation can be natural in a stroke, but not necessarily so. try swinging a racquet through the air and mimic a forehand or serve stroke. try pronating as you move through the stroke and see how it feels. the subject of how much pronation, and where and when to pronate varies by the individual.

Cigo
04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Pronation is a result of the motion combinations prior to it. For the players who pronate on certain strokes(mostly serve) it is just 'that comfortable racquet possition' after the contact. Thus it's not forced, as that would make it uncomfortable. Though it looks like it's a wrist movement it does not feel like that all, the wrist feels relaxed and 'streight' it does not flex in any way. Instead it is the forearm that rotates and even the whole arm (in the shoudler socket, througout a comfortable range).
Here's how to get the feel for it: stretch your arm streight out, relax it and start rotating it so that the elbow goes from pointing down to up and then back. Now rase it up as if you were serving and continue the back and forth supination/pronation movement (people in the computer lab are telling me stop listening to gangser rap). Note how long the contact 'zone'(distance you hand travels) is when you rotate from the shoulder compared to when you just rotate the forearm.
To get the feel for it on the court, you must be able to go through the motion without the ball. Rememmber to go throught with your shoulders and to relax(THE key).

Cigo
04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Just a small additoin: you don't have to make the elbow point completely up, be comfortable.