Schuettler v Robredo (11)
Wawrinka (13) v Troicki
Andreev v Vassallo-Arguello
Seppi v Melzer
Bye v Federer WC (2)

T1000
04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
interesting draw
hewitt safin first round is gonna be fun to watch. verdasco could upset djoker if he brings his head
simon could beat federer again
delpotro nadal quarter, great match.
we could see another nalby nadal match

batz
04-11-2009, 04:40 AM
interesting draw
hewitt safin first round is gonna be fun to watch. verdasco could upset djoker if he brings his head
simon could beat federer again
delpotro nadal quarter, great match.
we could see another nalby nadal match

It's a doozy isn't it.

Novak has it tough - almagro in R3, verdasco in QF and roger in the semis:shock:

T1000
04-11-2009, 04:42 AM
i dont think roger and novak are making it out of the quarters. they got reallly tough draws. and as good as rafa is on clay, he could play del potro and nalbandian who have the best chances to beat nadal on clay imo.

maximo
04-11-2009, 04:43 AM
When will Davydenko start playing again?
He has been injured for while.

shadows
04-11-2009, 04:57 AM
^ davy is in murrays 1/4, 8th seed

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Nice draw for the Swissmiss,i cant wait for him to kick Gilles Simons butt!

ElMagoElGato
04-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Monfils is a big clay courter now. Ljubicic has been though you might not think so. These two may make a noise to Rafa.

Davydenko, if he's healthy, is going to be a true test for Murray.

Djokovic won't have a problem until semi. Maybe Almagro?

Wawrinka and Andreev are the two favorites of mine on clay. Simon, Monaco, and Robredo are also tough. Federer has history of demolishing those guys but this year?

Leonidas
04-11-2009, 05:48 AM
i like the draw, hopefully rafa will have the opportunity to spank both Murray´s and DP´s butts. they´re becoming too cocky, specially del potro

shadows
04-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Monfils is a big clay courter now. Ljubicic has been though you might not think so. These two may make a noise to Rafa.

not sure what form lubo is in, got knocked out early by Gil in Casablanca, Monfils and delpo will both be interesting though I think.

Djokovic won't have a problem until semi. Maybe Almagro?

I think Almagro is likely to give him quite a match, but we'll see

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 06:02 AM
I really hope the curse of Fed's 3-set matches (where he wins 1st set and losses concentration in the others) will not repeat on clay, otherwise he should prepare for a serious beating from Simon.

ElMagoElGato
04-11-2009, 06:14 AM
I really hope the curse of Fed's 3-set matches (where he wins 1st set and losses concentration in the others) will not repeat on clay, otherwise he should prepare for a serious beating from Simon.

Watch out Wawrinka if not Andreev.

illkhiboy
04-11-2009, 06:14 AM

How good is Simon on clay though?

The draw is very appetizing!

Nalbandian-Murray
Hewitt-Safin
Nadal-Del Potro
Federer-Simon
Djokovic-Verdasco
Monfils-Nadal may also be fun to watch

2ndserveace
04-11-2009, 06:15 AM
I think Simon could give Fed some trouble. Verdasco vs. Gulbis 2nd round would be fun to watch on hard courts, but still interesting on clay. Verdasco could give Murray some trouble. Monfils will beat delpo.

ElMagoElGato
04-11-2009, 06:15 AM
not sure what form lubo is in, got knocked out early by Gil in Casablanca, Monfils and delpo will both be interesting though I think.

I've got to agree that mentioning Ljubicic was too much.

clayman2000
04-11-2009, 06:17 AM
When Nadal wins this tournament for the 5th straight year, and for the 3rd straight year without dropping a set, it should officially be called the Rafa Nadal Classic

ElMagoElGato
04-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Simon fits fast court better but is high maintenance on any surface for sure.

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Federer has Andreev on his side. Bye Bye. :D

sh@de
04-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Wow pretty cool draw... I'm looking forward to Hewitt vs Safin :D.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
A counter-puncher like Simon fits MUCH BETTER and is much more efficient on hardcourt than on clay,believe me: Federer will have no problem at all beating Simon on clay.

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 06:49 AM
When Nadal wins this tournament for the 5th straight year, and for the 3rd straight year without dropping a set, it should officially be called the Rafa Nadal Classic

Last year Federer pushed him to 2 tiebreaks. Nadal may win the tourny but I bet he losses a set this time.

gj011
04-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Last year Federer pushed him to 2 tiebreaks. Nadal may win the tourny but I bet he losses a set this time.

There were no TBs. The result in the final last year was 7-5 7-5.

Shaolin
04-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Agreed. Bye bye Andreev :)

Shaolin
04-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Note to OP: If you are going to start a thread about the draw, can you at least post a link to the draw?

For those who want to see it:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/410/mds.pdf

clayman2000
04-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Why is the tournament even played any more?

deltox
04-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Why is the tournament even played any more?

because just like every other tourney in the past with consecutive winner, the streak WILL get broken. Geez, sometimes i think some of you are assuming nadal will go thru the entire clay season without loosing a set.

Blinkism
04-11-2009, 07:18 AM
This is a pretty good Draw. Safin vs. Hewitt in the first round will be a good match. Hopefully they both bring their game from the bygone days (a la AO 2005).

Seems to be an experienced field, in terms of success on clay. Lots of guys with titles on clay from 2008 and 2009 in the draw
- Hanescu, Nalbandian, Granollers, Davydenko, Ferrer, Almagro, Montanes, Djokovic, Simon, and Robredo. Most of these guys are in Murray's quarter, and none of them are in Nadal's quarter.

Looks to be a good tourney, can't wait for it to start! Lots of potential twists and good match-ups!

P.S. Sad not to see JC Ferrero on the draw (Federer probably took his wildcard), is he in the qualies?

T1000
04-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Nadal has hewitt, del potro, monfils, and nalbandian. Bye Bye Rafa :D

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM

I would LOVE to see a motivated Fat-Dave vs Rafa on the MC-clay! This will be trouble for Rafa!!

deltox
04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
I would LOVE to see a motivated Fat-Dave vs Rafa on the MC-clay! This will be trouble for Rafa!!

i dont think rafa will not drop a set til monfils then he will still win but he will drop a set. from there out i dunno

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-11-2009, 07:45 AM
i dont think rafa will drop a set til monfils then he will still win but he will drop a set. from there out i dunno

Well hey! I guess we will have to wait n see!

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Federer had trouble with Andreev's spin at the US Open. A bouncier court like Monte Carlo spells disaster for Fed. :D

thejoe
04-11-2009, 07:47 AM
^Fed has already beaten him on clay.

Serpententacle
04-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Nice draw for the Swissmiss,i cant wait for him to kick Gilles Simons butt!

Simon could be a huge obstacle for Federer if they meet.

Agree.

... I am not the only one who respects Simon as a serious threat... he's got game.

T1000
04-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Federer had trouble with Andreev's spin at the US Open. A bouncier court like Monte Carlo spells disaster for Fed. :D

I dont care about fed. he can lose first round idc. i just want to see nadal lose to hewitt, nalby, del potro, or monfils on clay

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 07:54 AM
There were no TBs. The result in the final last year was 7-5 7-5.

Correct, I don't know why I remembered tiebreaks. Still a competitive score though.

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
^Fed has already beaten him on clay.
That was 2004. Very far back. Federer and Andreev are both different players now. Vamos Andreev.

thejoe
04-11-2009, 08:09 AM
That was 2004. Very far back. Federer and Andreev are both different players now. Vamos Andreev.

Andreev still loses to nobodies on clay, whereas Federer loses to the guy. Oh, and Stepanek LOL!

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 08:21 AM

Andreev couldn't beat Federer when Fed played like crap at the US Open (his worst match in that tourny) so why would he beat him on clay? I like Andreev as much as the next guy but he has a really crappy backhand and I don't think he can beat Federer in the longer rallies on the dirt. Andreev is also known for his choking abilities. I rembmer in Rome last year he had Djokovic beat and choked away the match. Simon, however, can be a major threat to Federer, and with Federer's current 3-set match curse, it can be painful.

gj011
04-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Andreev couldn't beat Federer when Fed played like crap at the US Open (his worst match in that tourny) so why would he beat him on clay? I like Andreev as much as the next guy but he has a really crappy backhand and I don't think he can beat Federer in the longer rallies on the dirt. Andreev is also known for his choking abilities. I rembmer in Rome last year he had Djokovic beat and choked away the match. Simon, however, can be a major threat to Federer, and with Federer's current 3-set match curse, it can be painful.

Andreev's best surface is clay. So one could also say that if Andreev almost beat Federer on USO hardcourt, he has a good change of beating Fed on clay.

Also he didn't choke against Djokovic in Rome.

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Simon wont beat Federer on clay he sucks on clay he is a hardcourt player.

VivalaVida
04-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Correct, I don't know why I remembered tiebreaks. Still a competitive score though.
If i remember correctly, federer blew huge leads in both sets.

thejoe
04-11-2009, 08:27 AM

He was 5-1 up in the first.

And Cesc (nice result for the gunners today btw) 3 of Simon's 5 tour titles have been on clay.

VivalaVida
04-11-2009, 08:35 AM
He was 5-1 up in the first.

And Cesc (nice result for the gunners today btw) 3 of Simon's 5 tour titles have been on clay.
he was 4-0 in the second as well! Also, in Hamburg last year he failed to serve out the first set and ended up losing it in a tiebreak.

The-Champ
04-11-2009, 08:37 AM

What makes you think Andreev will beat him? You're slightly underestimating Roger's skills on clay.

tacou
04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
wow some good matches, espcially safin/hewitt R64

Nadal_Freak
04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
What makes you think Andreev will beat him? You're slightly underestimating Roger's skills on clay.
Fed can't handle the high ball and no one other than Nadal will give him as many high balls as Andreev. :D

Pirao
04-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I dont care about fed. he can lose first round idc. i just want to see nadal lose to hewitt, nalby, del potro, or monfils on clay

Too bad for you, you're not going to see it! I just hope Murray doesn't get eliminated before semis so he gets spanked by Nadal :twisted:

egn
04-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Murray definitely has the easiest out of the top four but than he is the worst on clay so watch him manage to be the only one who goes out prior to the semis lol.

Nadal is in for a difficult quarter final either Monfils or Del Potro, but than Nadal will probably easily handle each one. I would like to see Murray get to the semis to see how he can handle Nadal on clay. Djoker lines up with Almargo for 3R, either Ferrer or Verdasco for QF and then Roger for SF...Djoker definitely seems to have it the worst. Fed's got Andreev or Stan round 3 and is praying that Robredo handles Simon for his QF though I think Robredo can provide him troubles.

tomas9848
04-11-2009, 09:07 AM
looks like a good draw.

edberg505
04-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Fed can't handle the high ball and no one other than Nadal will give him as many high balls as Andreev. :D

Well darn, it's a pitty that ole Igor is right handed huh.

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Well darn, it's a pitty that ole Igor is right handed huh.

Murray is right handed and he has peppered the Federer backhand with high balls to great success.

The-Champ
04-11-2009, 11:29 AM

you think it's only high balls that bothers Federer? Andreev doesn't have Rafa's defense, mental toughness and the most important thing of all,...Andreev is not in Fed's head!

edberg505
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Murray is right handed and he has peppered the Federer backhand with high balls to great success.

Igor is no Murray my friend.

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Andreev still loses to nobodies on clay, whereas Federer loses to the guy. Oh, and Stepanek LOL!
Don't forget Volandri ;-)

edberg505
04-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Don't forget Volandri ;-)

LOL, that was nearly 2 years ago.

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Blake and Roddick are a disgrace they should grow some balls and actually atempt to do well on clay.

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
LOL, that was nearly 2 years ago.
You think Federer is playing better now than 2 years ago? :shock:

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Blake and Roddick are a disgrace they should grow some balls and actually atempt to do well on clay.
Roddick has been really trying but given that his main weapon is his serve...

Serve_Ace
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah I do maybe

Cesc Fabregas
04-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Roddick has been really trying but given that his main weapon is his serve...

He should still enter the tourenment same goes for Blake they have nothing to lose.

coloskier
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Andreev just got beat by Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets. Keep dreaming.

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Andreev just got beat by Juan Carlos Ferrero in straight sets. Keep dreaming.
Do you mean in Monte-Carlo? The first round has been played already? Or is this a joke? I don't think Andreev has already played.

gj011
04-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Do you mean in Monte-Carlo? The first round has been played already? Or is this a joke? I don't think Andreev has already played.

Not in MC, in Houston SF.

I don't see JCF in MC draw. He should have gotten a WC too.

veroniquem
04-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Not in MC, in Houston SF.

I don't see JCF in MC draw. He should have gotten a WC too.
Thanks for the info.

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM

As usual against Nadal. The biggest lead however has to be Hamburg last year, 1st set, where Federer was 5-1, 40-30 on serve and ended up losing the set.

mbstriker
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
where is roddick?

edberg505
04-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Nope, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Casablanca.

P_Agony
04-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Andreev's best surface is clay. So one could also say that if Andreev almost beat Federer on USO hardcourt, he has a good change of beating Fed on clay.

Also he didn't choke against Djokovic in Rome.

He choked badly. He had Djokovic beat. Your blind fanboyism towards Djokovic prevents you from seeing that.

gj011
04-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Nope, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Casablanca.

Yes Casablanca, not Houston, sorry. They are both played this week.

gj011
04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
He choked badly. He had Djokovic beat. Your blind fanboyism towards Djokovic prevents you from seeing that.

Sure, whatever makes you happy.

Patrick_St
04-11-2009, 02:13 PM
The top half of the men's draw looks to be much more challenging overall than the bottom half. I am looking forward to watching the Monfils/Tipserivic match. I like both players and I think it may likely be a three setter (as long as Monfils doesn't retire).

RFtennis
04-11-2009, 05:58 PM
interesting draw
I was hoping for Rog to play a seeded first round. That would have been very interesting.

Thanks for the draw.

Cyan
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
The top half of the men's draw looks to be much more challenging overall than the bottom half.

Rigged draw?

sgrv
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I know it's a digression, but is the tournament being covered on TV, which channel? I can't seem to find it on Tennis or Fox Sports.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-14-2009, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=ElMagoElGato;3308777]Monfils is a big clay courter now. Ljubicic has been though you might not think so. These two may make a noise to Rafa.

Not really huh?? About Monfils

TheMagicianOfPrecision
04-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Agree.

... I am not the only one who respects Simon as a serious threat... he's got game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he does...bit not in this event lol

edberg505
04-15-2009, 02:54 AM

Vamos, Igor we'll see you in Rome. TTFN

You nailed that one.