PDA

View Full Version : What racquet would fit my style?

newtr0n
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Im a 5.0-5.5 player. I have a good agressive forehand and a 1 handed backhand. I only use slice in my backhand and i do a lot of drop shots with it. My server is good with slice. Im wondering what racquet should i be? Oversize or mid or midplus? What model?
An ncode nsix tour 90? Can u suggest me wich one would fit me ?
Thanks.

antontd
03-10-2005, 03:13 PM
So you don't have a topspin backhand and you hit well only slice serves? If you are a 5.0-5.5 I must be a Top 10 Player. I'm going to check my bank account.

Seriously: I suggest a PS 6.0 85 if you want to improve your game in long term. And a lot of PRACTICE!!!

Federer0580
03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
The Ncode N6.1 Tour is a good choice for you...But then again try to demo like that racket along with the bigger version of the N6.1 (the 95 Sq. in.), the LM Prestige, or maybe a tweener racket like the Babolats, like the PD+ or PD standard. Your a 5.0-5.5 player so you have the control it seems, but getting a midplus (95-100 or so ) would aid your slice and spins.

Flatspin
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I promise that I'm not trying to be a smart -a~~~, but if your a 5.0 player ..... you should know the frame that fits your game. IMHO! But for the sake of a post .... probably a mid-plus is a good compromise ...offering control and forgiveness. Although I play with a mid it certainly is not the size I'd normally recommend. Good luck! ... Talk about walking the fence. Ssssshhhhhh ..... afraid to say much more or NBM or Deuce will bust my ***!

GermaniumGenie
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Get a racquet with a fairly open string pattern.

tedmeister
03-11-2005, 01:20 AM
So you don't have a topspin backhand and you hit well only slice serves? If you are a 5.0-5.5 I must be a Top 10 Player. I'm going to check my bank account.

You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and have good depth and spin on most second serves.

This is the classic NTRP description for a 5.0 and this is probably what Neutron had in mind when he described himself as a 5.0-5.5 player. I wish I could lay claim to the same but a player's competitive record is the best proof of his rating. If he can hold his own against 5.0 players with that slice backhand of his sans the topspin backhand, then he is legit.

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Exactly, tedmeister, results are ultimately what counts. Especially difficult if you dont live in the USA and have to estimate your level, or if English isnt your first language and it is harder to express yourself as regularly happens on this board. Anyway, if you've played against any of the old school stylists you'll find most of them hit flat off the backhand or with slice, some even hit predominantly flat or slice off the forehand too. A little hard to fault them when they're knocking winners left, right and centre.

Still, it is surprising that a decent player wouldn't know what suits them best. Id think the simple answer would be whatever it is you've been using to get to a 5.0 level. Seriously though, most of the decent players seem to have moved up to a 95 or 98 so Id be checking to see how they they might work for your game.

newtr0n
03-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your replies. Anyway im a amateur player, i play just for fun and i put 5-5.5 ntrp lvl because i read the description of it and it suited me. Im 21 and ive been playing tenis since 13 and had more than 3 years of tenis classes (not proffesional tennis classes, but 1 hour a week with a tennis teacher practicing.)
I use an oversize prince cts synergy btw and im not from usa (thanks goo :D). What can u suggest me now that i have given you more info.
Thanks in advance.

edit: my server is good normal and with slice.

BreakPoint
03-11-2005, 11:18 AM
To be honest, if you self-rated yourself from only reading the NTRP description then you are probably really only a 4.0-4.5 player. Almost EVERYONE over-rates themselves by a full point when reading those descriptions.

They should have added that 5.0 - 5.5 players almost never miss a shot, and can hit ANY type of spin on every shot.

MarkOzi
03-11-2005, 11:46 AM
From 3,5 - 4,0 lev. players have perf. techn. and exl. serv. you can't be serios my friend. ;)

newtr0n
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
maybe im a 3 or 3.5 but i already told you my style of play and im not here to comment my ntrp but to ask people that knows about racquets wich one would fit me, because in my country you cant demo racquest x(

antontd
03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
You have good shot anticipation and frequently have an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. You can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys. You can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys, overhead smashes, and have good depth and spin on most second serves.

This is the classic NTRP description for a 5.0 and this is probably what Neutron had in mind when he described himself as a 5.0-5.5 player. I wish I could lay claim to the same but a player's competitive record is the best proof of his rating. If he can hold his own against 5.0 players with that slice backhand of his sans the topspin backhand, then he is legit.

"Characteristics of a 5.0 Player"
"Backhand: Can use BH as an aggressive shot with good consistency; has good direction and depth on most shots; varies spin"

We are not in the 70s anymore; a topspin backhand is a must for any serious player

MarkOzi
03-12-2005, 12:41 PM
maybe im a 3 or 3.5 but i already told you my style of play and im not here to comment my ntrp but to ask people that knows about racquets wich one would fit me, because in my country you cant demo racquest x(

OK. You are going to 3,0 but beacouse you are very ambit. person your tennis plan will be on the TOP. Its OK. If you tell more information about your play, have old are you and the rest maybe we can tell you some special information. But now it disc. about all and nothing. The best raquet for you? All court player and some times Serv and vol. Take Head Prestige midplus (my own choice), next is a Yonex RDX500 midplus, Price Tour Diablo, BabolatPureControl maybe Drive. Tell about your country and why "you cant demo racquest" also. I am not from USA, last east europe region but "I can demo exacly all word tennis manufacture - It is all business just".

AndrewD
03-12-2005, 05:12 PM
newtr0n,

perhaps you could tell us what you like or dislike about the frame you're currently using. If you're a fan of the oversize and dont want to change to a midplus then it would make it easier to recommend a few frames that might fit the bill. If there's something you dont like about your current model and dont mind the drop down in head size then that changes things quite a bit. Its not that the midplus is better than the oversize just that some people feel more comfortable with one than the other.

thatonedue
03-12-2005, 09:34 PM
dude head LM radical MP, maybe Dunlop 300G MP, those are my recommendations.