PDA

View Full Version : Is POG Mid Plus 4-stripes arm-friendly?

pshulam
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Is the POG MP 4 stripes (made in 1987) arm-friendly? I notice many people suggest Pro Kennex 5G or Copper Ace to be gentle to the arm. There are many ACE models available below $30, while POG MPs are about $60 - $110.

plasma
04-11-2009, 11:50 AM
stiff but more arm friendly than the ps 85. If you have arm injuries Prince, Kneissl, Donnay and PK make some great "soft" racquets; the 4 stripe has the best feel and plough thru ever, (feels almost as good as 3 hours with Kournikova), but it is not soft. Sort of soft on the outside maybe...The POG is not harsh, but it is not soft either,.... 4 stripe is a players racquet...I know, I know, the guy at the pro shop figured out that by calling every racquet a "players racquet" sales would go up...top of the line pro players racks like the POG, ps midsize, and 200g were always well balanced, and in the case of SOME of them, tended to be stiffer than lesser models in the same line...

although everyone uses a players racquet nowadays, very few are skilled players. Beyond technique there is psychology, tactics, and the most complex and borderline spiritual sport ever....tennis...

Tennissee
06-14-2009, 06:57 AM
POG is not arm-friendly. There are several posts out there where people talked about getting TE from using POG.

Depending on your play style, skill level, and physical condition, different racquets might fit you better. I think PK5G is most likely the best for TE cases as it is a player's racquet that can still be used happily and effectively by 3.0 players.

pshulam
06-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Tennissee, Thanks. String also plays an important role. For equipment, in general, string stiffness < 200, racket stiffness < 60, string tension < 50 are considered kind to elbows.

tennisdad65
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a few copper aces and 4-stripes POG OS's. I got TE last year while playing with the POG OS, though the TE could have been due to technique, weak arms, and other non tennis work. The OS has a RA = 63 compared to the mid which has an RA = 66, so the mid should be worse.

I switched to the copper ace, which helped to completely eliminate TE. Now, I rarely use the POG OS anymore.

MichaelChang
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a few copper aces and 4-stripes POG OS's. I got TE last year while playing with the POG OS, though the TE could have been due to technique, weak arms, and other non tennis work. The OS has a RA = 63 compared to the mid which has an RA = 66, so the mid should be worse.

I switched to the copper ace, which helped to completely eliminate TE. Now, I rarely use the POG OS anymore.

TE's cause may not be only by the racket, but also the strings, the tension, and you said, the technique. the 4-stripe POG OS is ONE OF THE MOST ARM-FRIENDLY modern graphite rackets. Yes, you heard it right. Indeed I remember there was a racket ranking for arm-friendly, published in 1999 (??). POG OS was ranked the 1st. (4-stripe POS Mid, however, didn't have a good ranking on this)

But nevertheless, the Copper Ace is surely one arm-friendly racket. It is very flex, with only 40% graphite composition, strung properly (with low tension, soft strings), and you should be TE free.