PDA

View Full Version : People that always question your line calls

lilycolefan
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
How do you deal with people that always question your line calls? There is this one guy that questions every line call. Like seriously, he will question balls that are 6 inches out. It has gotten to the point where when I play with other people, whenever someone asks "are you sure" someone always makes a reference to that guy. It's annoying because he throws a tantrum over semi-close calls and he makes me feel like a cheater when I clearly know I'm not. His sons do the same thing and when they play doubles together it is awful.

maverick66
04-11-2009, 03:45 PM
who cares. ive had people do that to me and it never bothered me. they do it so you will give them every ball that is close. its not really a nice thing for them to do but its just them trying to gain a little mental edge over you. ive done it right back to them and they dont like getting there own medicine back.

robby c
04-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Just tell him you don't call them out unless you're sure. Use your command voice, clear and calm.
Robby C

WBF
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Have you ever asked him why he is asking? Ask this on a particularly clear out ball (far out, you aren't in way, he is looking), and maybe you will make him uncomfortable enough to stop being a jerk.

Another possibility is that he has poor eyesight or visual processing.

In either case, if you are calling out balls out, you clearly have no reason to feel guilty, so don't.

10sfreak
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
LOL! I played in a doubles match a few weeks ago, and one of the other guys didn't like my calls on his serves. They were often at least 6-8 inches out, but although he wouldn't come out and openly question my calls, it was clear from his body language that he thought I was hooking him. Frankly, I found it kinda annoying, as I consider myself quite honest as regards line calls - even going so far as to call my own shots out if my opponent(s) isn't/aren't sure.

charliefedererer
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
You could have a league official speak to him and let him know he is being inapproriate in questioning so many calls. (This isn't baseball, where it customary to argue with the ump on close calls, in the hopes of getting a makeup call later.)
But this sounds like a very engrained behavior that is very unlikely to change, if he even has his sons behaving the same way.
So you may stuck putting up with him.
Or not.
You could just refuse to play him.
My brother did this recently in a league match, walking off the court after telling the other guy he plays tennis for the competition and the enjoyment, not to get aggravated.
Of course the best would be to get others to join in with you in refusing to play him, but only you can know if the level of aggravation would make it worthwhile/feasible to do this.

JavierLW
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
How do you deal with people that always question your line calls? There is this one guy that questions every line call. Like seriously, he will question balls that are 6 inches out. It has gotten to the point where when I play with other people, whenever someone asks "are you sure" someone always makes a reference to that guy. It's annoying because he throws a tantrum over semi-close calls and he makes me feel like a cheater when I clearly know I'm not. His sons do the same thing and when they play doubles together it is awful.

If he asks if you are sure, just say "yes", and continue to make it clear that you are going to move on.

Ive had people sit there and scream to me that "that ball was in!!!!", and I just said "nope, it was out", "nope", "no", "nope", etc....... as calmly as I could and as matter of fact as I could.

Even if they want to stand at the net and get animated like Gary the upset Orangatan, dont engage them. Just sit back, wait for them to finish acting up and enjoy the show.

The point is there is no need to argue your point so dont get into it with them. You can state the facts (ie..... "it was out"), but other then that remember, they are the ones who are acting upset, dont let them get you upset.

LuckyR
04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Wow, I sympathize with your plight, but seriously you guys need better behaved competition. I have never had to deal with BS like that. Perhaps playing in a different section of town might help...

Geezer Guy
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I've had several guys question my calls when I called their shots IN. They'll say "In? Are you sure?" I'll say "Well, truthfully, I'm not sure. I just didn't see it well enough to call it 'Out'. If YOU want to call it 'Out', that's within the rules and fine with me." None of them have every gone ahead and overridden my call, so it makes me wonder why they said anything in the first place.

LuckyR
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I've had several guys question my calls when I called their shots IN. They'll say "In? Are you sure?" I'll say "Well, truthfully, I'm not sure. I just didn't see it well enough to call it 'Out'. If YOU want to call it 'Out', that's within the rules and fine with me." None of them have every gone ahead and overridden my call, so it makes me wonder why they said anything in the first place.

Amen, brother.

onehandbh
04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
After everyone one of your opponent's serves, say,
"Hey, did you footfault on that last serve? I think you might
be footfaulting." It will help him focus on his serve.

predrag
04-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I had a few encounters with people who question my call on the basline, that was 2 inches out.
I usually put the ball on the spot in question and ask them to call it from the opposite baseline.
It is ridiculous to even think of trying :)

Regards, Predrag

Skppr05
04-14-2009, 04:04 AM
Eh bottom line your call is what matters. Call the stuff on your side of the net and he'll do the same. Funny how these things run in the family. When I was playing high school tennis 2nd and 3rd singles of a school I played did the same thing

nhat8121
04-14-2009, 05:33 AM
if it's close and I can't really tell...I just call it in and give them the point. It doesn't improve your game by getting free points :)

it does get annoying when I play against some older people than me that keep calling everything out. If they can't tell, it's out. The close ball hasn't hit the ground yet, it's out. I don't want be disrespectful and argue them but damn, it's annoying.

mikeler
04-14-2009, 05:57 AM

All of the guys I play and myself will call balls out on ourselves. The point is to get the call correct. Since I play mostly on clay, there is usually a discernible mark which helps with calls.

Geezer Guy
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm looking forward to moving to Florida (probably a bit more southern) and playing on clay as well.

mikeler
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm looking forward to moving to Florida (probably a bit more southern) and playing on clay as well.

It's so much easier on your body. I hated it at first because I busted my *** so many times trying to learn how to slide. Now I love it and hate playing on hard courts.