PDA

View Full Version : Best Tennis Roddick has played in his career?

VivalaVida
04-11-2009, 04:48 PM
This is amazing and the epitome of power tennis. Had he kept up this level of play throughout the match, he might have won. Enjoy. I certainly did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QSCnxcH30c

julesb
04-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Whatever it is he sucked. Federer is a default all time great who would be a 1 or 2 time slam winner himself in any other era, yet even he still absolutely dominated Roddick even when Roddick was at his supposed best in 2003-2004.

RFtennis
04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
He played amazingly well in that set..

clayman2000
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
He played amazingly well in that set..

He actually played well the whole match...Federer was on fire

and i dont even think that is the best tennis he played. See Montreal 03

alienhamster
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Man, I remember that so well. Andy totally would have won that match if not for the rain delay.

He definitely used to go for his shots more back then, esp. the forehand. But I think the bigger difference is "will." He just really seemed to impose his will better on opponents then--never seemed to get passive and looked to dictate each point ASAP. Federer looked completely out of that match until after the rain delay.

The_Steak
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Woah, federer magic is back?

Hooray!

atac
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
What ever happened to that Andy??

egn
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
What ever happened to that Andy??

Age + Slower Surfaces + No good net game = fail for powerful server.

RCizzle65
04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Yay, someone saved this video from Federermagic's youtube account! I loved this video

GameSampras
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Age + Slower Surfaces + No good net game = fail for powerful server.

I never knew Roddick had a good net game. :).

Roddick is still pretty solid. I dont see much missing from his game now than before other than the big FH. Lets face it. He was never the greatest athlete. He's always been pretty subpar at the net, big serve but readable by players with great anticipation and who could read it, decent BH. I dont see much difference to be honest In roddick really. He still beats usually who he is supposed to beat and gets beaten by the players who SHOULD beat him. In fact I think he's in better condition now than he was then

LanceStern
04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
He's definitely in better condition now. Moves better, serving much better, and he's CONSISTENT.

And his volleying game is getting good, except against Fed and Nadal, which is understandable

RCizzle65
04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
He's definitely in better condition now. Moves better, serving much better, and he's CONSISTENT.

And his volleying game is getting good, except against Fed and Nadal, which is understandable

He has bad approach shots and bad net sense, he can put away vollleys like anyone else, but he just can't get tough volleys like a lot of the tour, it just shows up a lot of Roddick because of stupid approaches

120mphBodyServe
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
What the hell? Unfortunately I only watched that match after the rain delay.. But geez...
That is the best I've seen Roddick or anyone play.. I mean he is just killing the ball. I mean what the hell is wrong with the guy now? He needs to see this video again and get back the killer instinct..
And stop playing this safer kind of tennis. To me back in the beginning Roddick was all take no prisoners, now he's gone soft...

papucla10
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
The biggest difference is the Big forehand, he doesn't have that weapon anymore although I think he played very well against Fed in Miami, He was trying to replicate that flat forehand he had back then at least it looked like he was trying to hit his forehand more powerfully without that spini look, I even think he could have won that match if it wasn't for those stupid Net Approaches he made at the wrong time.

I think he is realizing that if does not do something wright now such as trying to hit that forehand like he used to back then, he will be done very soon,

LanceStern
04-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Done very soon?

He's one of the fittest on tour, almost impenetrable service games, great consistency, placing semis and finals all this year. He's only 27, and Carlos moya/stepanek who are 30 and over are still playing and able to win tournies

Almost done?!

Arbartrator
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Somebody please show Roddick this video lol maybe it will improve his game a lot looking back at the past.

danb
04-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Whatever it is he sucked. Federer is a default all time great who would be a 1 or 2 time slam winner himself in any other era, yet even he still absolutely dominated Roddick even when Roddick was at his supposed best in 2003-2004.

NOBODY wants to hear that. Tennis started and ended with Federer.:shock:

shadows
04-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I think Roddick still has the potential to play tennis at that level (or a higher one) and I'm hoping he starts to show signs of it sometime this year. I'd look for Stefanki to work on improving his approach play and net game to see him become a more genuine all courter since he's clearly sacrificed his power for consistancy in his groundies all ready. Not sure if it's worth him flattening his strokes more often or not, he has success now in this more consistant mode, it's just 2 of the worlds greats that seem to stop him lately.

papucla10
04-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Done very soon?

He's one of the fittest on tour, almost impenetrable service games, great consistency, placing semis and finals all this year. He's only 27, and Carlos moya/stepanek who are 30 and over are still playing and able to win tournies

Almost done?!

What I meant by done was that he will never have a chance to win another Grand Slam if he continues playing like this, I like him, basically I like all american players, including him, Blake and Fish but if he doesn't change his game to the way it used to be back then he will not have a chance to win another Slam never.

Forehand Forever
04-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Thank god this video is back, Federermagic had some of the best tennis videos on youtube.

vtmike
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM

So would Nadal using your logic... :roll:

devila
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Most people think Roddick's mindless, no-plan ball blasts were successful in 2003-4?
Get real. He lost so many more matches on slow courts in 2003. He choked so badly because he gave up. He praised Agassi and Federer since 2002. He choked on clay with a set and a break vs. Agassi, Andreev, Federer, Acassuso. He got sick with bad food in his stomach almost every year.
He threw away French Open, Rome twice, Hamburg vs. Massu, and tanked the hardcourt events between 2004-2008.

Remember his constant hugs with Federer, Agassi and Blake. He couldn't stop tanking and telling jokes in his Queens grass match vs. Blake. He hit flat forehands in 2006 and choked twice vs. Blake. His heavy body and legs stiffened up his fluid movement (he used to run fast in 2001). It got only better this year. It shows how distracted, indifferent and in denial he was after 2003.