PDA

View Full Version : Twisting racket upon impact

Tennisfool230
04-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I am a high school player currently using a 300G, and I have found that, lately, upon impact, I twist the racket. This causes me to completely miss the shot, as the ball goes off the frame or off-center and straight into the net or off to the side. This has been happening primarily on volleys and sometimes on my backhand. What do you believe is the source of this problem and what do you suggest for fixing it?

Anonymous
04-04-2004, 06:34 PM
the problem is possiblily your grip, it may be worn out or too small or too big, so measure your grip and adjust it...

the twisting is most likely happening because you are not hitting the sweet spot, so try to keep your head still and concentrate on the shot.

for volleys and backhands you need a firm (but not a death grip) grip on the racquet to keep it stable as you hit through the ball

many people put lead tape at 3 and 9 oclock to get more stability on off centered shots especially with light racquets (how much does the 300g weigh? 10.8 oz?)

hope i helped you, good luck, let me know how it goes

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2004, 07:45 PM
A twisting racquet or off-center hits may not be just a grip problem. It could also be the way your seeing the ball. I am going to repaste something on vision below, it would pay big dividends to learn this and understand when you switch from peripheral vision to focal vision and for how long. Many people spend a short time in focal vision before shifting into peripheral vision, especially on volleys. You got to focus on that ball and get your feet to respond. If you drift out of focus you will have problems at the net.

============================================

When you swing and miss there is a disconnect with your vision. There are two vision elements that a tennis player uses. One is focal vision and the other is peripheral vision.

Peripheral vision is the form of vision that we commonly use to navigate our environment. Our brains process this form of vision very poorly.

Focal vision, on the other hand, is processed very accurately. This form of vision is easily disrupted by distractions, or even internal feelings. For example, when you are nervous, you may have a tendency to shift from focal to peripheral vision. If this happens during a point, you will likely hit the ball off center, giving your opponent an immediate advantage and losing confidence in your own play.

To improve your ability to watch the ball, you must practice engaging your focal vision in the presence of distractions. While practicing on the court, a helpful exercise is to see where the ball bounces, how it spins after the bounce, and when it reaches its maximum height after the bounce. Or you can use what I and many other advanced players use and that is to say to yourself HIT BOUNCE HIT. You should also look at the point on the ball where you are planning to hit it.

TMB
04-06-2004, 07:17 PM
The vision advice is excellent, and I have a hunch this advice will make the biggest contribution to improving your performance. However, I'd like to build on one other point in the posts. I added six grams of lead tape (three at 9 o'clock and three at 3 o'clock); it made a huge difference in the stability of my racquet, and it substantially reduced the twisting of my racquet on off center hits. (I use a Pure Control 100 sq in, 27 in long racquet.)

au
04-07-2004, 02:56 AM
hmm..

i had this same problem when i was in high school too. at lease i think it's the same. it's the weirdest thing. i think it's a combination of nervousness, a weak wrist, and lack of a good solid groundstroke. it took me atleast two years to overcome this problem. here are several things you might want to try..

1) beef up your rist.

2) developed a good solid stroke with a full swing and focused on hitting the ball the same way everytime. don't practice every different kind of swing you see on tv or from other people on the court. this will mess you up. don't do an Agassi for one month then a Sampras the next. best if you develope your own style.

3) if you get nervous playing matches, you should play more matches more often to get use to game time matches. and most importantly have fun out there!

someone told me about the vision thing being the case but it never cured me. also, if you have developed a good solid groundstroke motion, even if you hit the ball off centered you'd still hit it alright and you wouldn't be twisting your racket.

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Never heard of any tennis player saying "I tried the vision thing and it didnt work". LOL

You dont "try" the vision thing. It is fundamentally important for every tennis player to work to improve their focal vision.

Improving your focus will improve your ability to meet the ball properly - it will also buld better consistency. Then yo wont have to have "band aids" to help you play better tennis.

You might want to rephrase your comment about vision and tell us what you meant.

au
04-07-2004, 01:18 PM
who are you talking to Bungalo Bill ?

au
04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
i'll take it you're talking to me.

first of all, you quoted something i never said (that is if you're talking to me).

secondly, the vision thing you're preaching didn't help me cure the problem i had. i'm simply giving the original poster some tips that did help me and hopefully do the same for him. i'm not dogging your vision tip.

what didn't you understand?

Never heard of any tennis player saying "I tried the vision thing and it didnt work". LOL

You dont "try" the vision thing. It is fundamentally important for every tennis player to work to improve their focal vision.

Improving your focus will improve your ability to meet the ball properly - it will also buld better consistency. Then yo wont have to have "band aids" to help you play better tennis.

You might want to rephrase your comment about vision and tell us what you meant.

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Au,

I AM TALKING TO YOU!!!!!

I think the question is, what don't you understand?

If you're hitting the ball off-center and making up for it by "beefing" up your strength, I think you don't understand how important your vision and seeing the ball really is. When you're focused on the ball, it is much easier to hit the ball in the sweetspot of your racquet. But how many times do you see the ball coming and as it gets closer you tend to glance away for a quick second only to catch the frame? Low balls at the net are classic for this. We see the ball to the point that we think we know where it is going to be and then fill in the blanks with our mind as we glance away from the ball - then back to it. That little glance is switching from the different visions. That is something everyone needs to work on as it causes a lot of errors and mis-hits.

At the net, if your hitting balls offcenter and your technique is good, you have a vision and movement problem. That is the bottom-line to that. Its up to you if you want to really work on it.

I am glad you edited your post though. ;)

au
04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
for your information, i didn't edit anything (tell me why i would). what in the world gave you that idea? does my post show "edit by au.. " anywhere?

besides, we are talking about the original poster's problem with the racket twisting in his hand upon impact. not whether or not i should be focusing on the ball. this isn't even about me.

i do however agree with you (and i've never said i didn't) that vision and focusing on the ball is important. so please stop preaching this point to me. i don't understand why this is relevant to this person's problem though. he stated that he twists the racket THEN the ball goes off-centered and he frames it into the net. why would vision or lack of focus cause him to twist his racket before making contact with the ball??

just don't reply anymore.. i'm done with this.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2004, 07:48 AM
The point of my post is that it is relevant to this posters topic. Anytime someone hits off center and a racquet is twisting it automatically draws my attention to how he is seeing the ball. Especially, if he has good technique.

And actually you can edit your post, my post was edited three times and it doesnt say "edited" on it.

Your point on solving this persons problem is a minor point not a major point. Vision is the key area of work along with movement for net play. I can take a kid and if he has good movement and focal vision he will volley and volley well. Strength training is a support role not the lead role.

You might want to re-read the posters question, look for words like:

1. high school player

2. shots are off the frame or off center

3. happens on volleys and backhands

4. he asks, "what do you believe is the SOURCE of the problem"

au
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
why do you keep insisting that i edit my post? what's wrong with you??

and your posts make no sense at all. trying to act like you know everything about tennis. stop being such a pompous *****.

The point of my post is that it is relevant to this posters topic. Anytime someone hits off center and a racquet is twisting it automatically draws my attention to how he is seeing the ball. Especially, if he has good technique.

And actually you can edit your post, my post was edited three times and it doesnt say "edited" on it.

Your point on solving this persons problem is a minor point not a major point. Vision is the key area of work along with movement for net play. I can take a kid and if he has good movement and focal vision he will volley and volley well. Strength training is a support role not the lead role.

You might want to re-read the posters question, look for words like:

1. high school player

2. shots are off the frame or off center

3. happens on volleys and backhands

4. he asks, "what do you believe is the SOURCE of the problem"

Ash Doyle
04-08-2004, 11:37 AM
When it comes to tennis advice on these boards, Bungalo Bill is in a group of a select few that are VERY knowledgeable, VERY adept at explaining things, and take the time to answer all questions. AU, it's posts like your last one that drive people like Bill away from these boards. Now go play your Nintendo while the adults have a conversation.

Anonymous
04-08-2004, 11:40 AM
and your posts make no sense at all. trying to act like you know everything about tennis.

Bungalo does make sense and does know everything about tennis

TMB
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
For what it's worth, I found Bungalo Bill's vision explanation extremely clear, very helpful, and very relevant to the original question.

au
04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
my post was in regard to they way he keep accusing me of "editing" my messages for reasons he won't even disclose. i'm no liar and i really hate it when people acting like they are above everybody. a lot like you with your "nintendo" comment. this does not even concern you. so go to hell.

When it comes to tennis advice on these boards, Bungalo Bill is in a group of a select few that are VERY knowledgeable, VERY adept at explaining things, and take the time to answer all questions. AU, it's posts like your last one that drive people like Bill away from these boards. Now go play your Nintendo while the adults have a conversation.

Anonymous
04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't worry about any of if, whether or not you edited or whatever, theres a good chance that you will not see anyone from this board.

If you have a problem with someones remarks and they don't have to do with tennis, ignore it, it will make you a better person.

Ash, i agree that your comment was uncalled for

I also want to add that i respect and appreciate Bungalo Bill's expertise and kindness in offering lenghty, detailed, helpful comments, they have helped my game and i'm sure many others

Lets use this board for what it was intended (to give and take advice about tennis) and not for bashing, accusing, or whatever else

C_Urala
04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
I also agree that BB is knowledgable and all and I really respect him, but in this very case his first reply to AU was a bit too ironic.
So, AU has the right to feel sort of insulted.
Let's consider it as a pure misunderstanding.

THe vision can be more important than the strength training but I think everyone agree that there is no need to oppose on thing to another.

anton785
04-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Bungalo Bill, being a tennis instructor, has earned his "pompous" stripe through years of work with tennis, in my opinion. So he can be pompous or arrogant with whomever he wants so long as he keeps pumping out the good advice that is useable by pretty much everyone who looks at these boards.

C_Urala
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Bungalo Bill, being a tennis instructor, has earned his "pompous" stripe through years of work with tennis, in my opinion. So he can be pompous or arrogant with whomever he wants so long as he keeps pumping out the good advice that is useable by pretty much everyone who looks at these boards.

Anton, it's about self esteem. There are people who allow others to be rude with them and there are people who do not allow this no matter how important those others are. It's up to you to decide to what part of people you belong. I just hope that after thourough consideration you'll choose the second one.

I don't think, though, that BB wants any specific attitude toward his person beyond just respect.

Went off topic. Sorry.

jeebeesus
04-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Yup i read widely. But BB opened my eyes to a lot of things i didn`t even know existed. Quite thankful for his presence and contribution to the board.

VTL
04-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Au, perhaps u need to read "Inner game of tennis" and incorporate the ideas in that book into your message board talking skills.. observe without judgement.

Anyway, did anyone suggest lead tape for the twisting problem yet?

au
04-09-2004, 01:52 PM
yes, lead tape has been mentioned by TMB.

" I added six grams of lead tape (three at 9 o'clock and three at 3 o'clock); it made a huge difference in the stability of my racquet, and it substantially reduced the twisting of my racquet on off center hits. (I use a Pure Control 100 sq in, 27 in long racquet.)"

BB, i'll be the first to apologize. i was clearly out of line here. this whole thing could have been prevented if i'd kept my mouth shut. hope i don't "drive you away" as it seems a lot of people here will sorely miss your bountiful suggestions.

my brother said unto me: GO OUT AND HIT SOME BALL YOU CRANKY OL FART! :wink:

Ash Doyle
04-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I apologize also, au. I felt your comments to BB were out of line and insulting; but I should not have added my own insulting comment. Sorry.

Too bad we don't all live close together and could work this stuff out in tennis grudge matches. :)

Anonymous
04-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Au, Ash
way to go guys,

jeebeesus
04-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Au your a class act man!

geo
04-11-2004, 03:06 PM
The vision thing is indeed he core of any "good tennis". Once you experiment with it it becomes OBVIOUSLY a key aspect Have you noticed in slow mo, how pros stare at the point of impact even after the ball has left? Funny thing: ALL OF THEM do this!

-geo-

Bungalo Bill
04-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Au your a class act man!

Yup, I agree, AU your a class act for apoligizing. My apoligies to you as well.

These kind of things wouldn't drive me away. When you play tennis as long as I have you develop thick skin. The only thing that would drive me away from these boards are: no time, got sent to a place with no internet, couldnt afford the internet, or died. :)

Anyway, my hat is off to you, you got my respect.

C Ni K
04-14-2004, 01:26 AM
haha.. you guys are a bunch of kids..oops.