PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain intramural and sports clubs to me?

ogruskie
04-11-2009, 11:46 PM
For of all, I'll be attending a community college for the next two years. I'm pretty sure I can make the team, but that's a different story.

Afterwards, I'm looking at either UC Davis or UC Berkeley. I know that I won't be playing on the D1 team, so instead I'll sign up for intramural tennis or join a tennis sports club.

But what is the difference? Which is more competitive? I'm reading the Berkeley site and they claim their sports club beat some D2 and D3 schools and were quarter-finalists in the USTA National Campus Championship. Sounds pretty serious to me.

My main goal in college (sports wise) is to play the highest level of competitive tennis. But I don't qualify for the D1 team. So what then?

goober
04-12-2009, 05:07 AM
Intramurals: you play against other students in the same school. Every school is set up differently.

Club tennis: you play against other clubs from different colleges.

Theoretically club tennis should be at higher level since you are narrowing the the field to the top club players against top club players from another school.

As far I can see, there is no reason you can't play both unless the club schedule interferes with the intramural schedule.

*note some colleges have "tennis clubs" but don't participate in USTA program, it is strictly within the school to promote tennis play, social, ect.

Joeyg
04-12-2009, 08:44 AM
What community college are you attending? Yes, Cal and UC Davis have extremely tough club teams. If you are not a very strong 4.5 to 5.0 man, you probably won't be playing much club tennis at either school.

ogruskie
04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
What community college are you attending? Yes, Cal and UC Davis have extremely tough club teams. If you are not a very strong 4.5 to 5.0 man, you probably won't be playing much club tennis at either school.

I'll be attending DVC. I'm planning to sign up for some tennis programs over the summer to prepare for DVC. During the 2 years I'm there I plan continue with the tennis program, play with the school team, and if my work hours allow me, play in USTA tournaments.

On average I would rate myself as a 3.5. When I'm really in the zone I can kick it up a notch to some 4.0 play, but that doesn't happen frequently.

I have the drive and motivation, I mean I really want to play at a club once I transfer. I'm basically using the next 2 years to improve as much as possible.

Joeyg
04-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, since I am one of the coaches at Chabot, I will probably run into you in the next year or two. Good luck with your tennis!

Coach Grech

tenniko
04-12-2009, 02:28 PM
easy analogy would be
college tennis:varsity
club tennis: jv
intramural: P.E.

Davis and Berkeley have good teams. I played against Davis last year at the Nationals (tennisoncampus.com) but I don't know how they are this year.

Berkeley's club team is VERY hard to get into. From what I've heard, in order to make the club team, you have to go through a tournament of sorts.

Davis just revived their club team last year and they are doing well.

I don't know too much about NorCal club tennis but that's what I know. You might want to contact the clubs or the tennis on campus northern california for more information.

Oh, and I'd say both teams are definitely 5.0-ish.

tenniko
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
*note some colleges have "tennis clubs" but don't participate in USTA program, it is strictly within the school to promote tennis play, social, ect.

yea, sadly columbia's tennis club can't participate due to school regulations. :(

ogruskie
04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
You guys seem to know those teams pretty well. Do you think 2 years is enough to improve from about a 3.5 player to about 4.5-5.0?

jbetti
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I used to captain Syracuse's club team.

Club tennis at schools with good teams (and there's a lot of good team these days) is very competitive on the National level. Berkeley actually made it to the finals last year against Texas. They had a couple superstar girls that carried them (easily could have played D-1 at a lot of schools)... as well as several very good (4.5 NTPR?) guys, but not superstars like their girls. I'm not sure what they have back this year.

Davis had a good team last year too, if I remember. We beat Irvine at Nationals, last year, in the Championship bracket backdraw... but they were very good.

Club tennis varies a lot from school to school. Many places it's hard just to make the team because so many people try out. However, it is just kids running the team, so it's not often the most organized system of tennis you'll ever see... nonetheless, you'll play other schools teams anywhere from a couple to over a dozen times a year depending on how ambitious your team is. Intramurals you'll just play other kids within your school.

Check out the college club tennis website: tennisoncampus.com if you're interested.

jbetti
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
By the way, depending on the size of the club team... 4.0 could easily be good enough to make the roster. The top players from Davis or Cal or Irvine or Stanford are easily 4.5 or higher... but I wouldn't doubt the players on the team who didn't make the travel squad for nationals are a bit lower. At Syracuse (SU), our top players were definite 4.5's, but we also had plenty of players who were 4.0 or so.

tenniko
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I used to be the captain of UC Irvine's club team.

if it is 2 years of high school tennis combined with lessons, you can definitely go from 3.5 to 4.5+.

Play tournaments as often as you can. Having experience in matches is the difference between 4.5 and 5.0, I think.

Hi jbetti :D

ogruskie
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the all the informative responses!

I've got another question. Approximately how many people make up a club team? And do ALL of them travel nationally to play at such a competitive level? I mean, aren't there club players who are good but don't take it as far as the top ranked guys? Again, I've set my sights on either Davis or Berkeley.

I'd like to play on the club team regardless of rank. Whether its being an intermediate player or towards the bottom of the ladder. I just want to know if the middle/lower ranked players have to be just as skilled/competitive as the top ranked players.

randomname
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
the minimum for one team is 2 guys and 2 girls and the max is 5 guys and 5 girls, you play WTT format which is pretty wacky but still alot of fun.

the club tennis program varies wildly from school to school. I play on the A&M club team and we have 180 members, charge $40 for dues for everyone and anyone who wants to play a tournament gets to (the most we've taken is 10 teams). practice is also non-mandatory. However, I've heard of many other much more hardcore clubs doing things like weeklong tryouts with no options for people who dont make the cut/just want to have fun, mandatory practice 3-5 days a weeks, $700 dues so teams can travel all over the country, matches every other weekend etc. so you'll really have to contact the people in charge of the clubs at the schools your looking at to find out more. and to be honest, its probably not a realistic goal to get onto Berkely or Davis' A team in 2 years, but most schools will atleast have a B team that you can play on.

One other thing you might want to watch out for though: the tennis on campus program has a policy that there can only be one ex college varsity player per team, and community colleges do count. Also, if it comes down between an ex-varsity guy and an ex-varsity girl, 9 out of 10 captains will pick the girl. that being said, nobody actually checks that unless your playing at the nationals tournament, so as long as you keep quiet that you played varsity you shouldnt have any problems.

tenniko
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
the minimum for one team is 2 guys and 2 girls and the max is 5 guys and 5 girls, you play WTT format which is pretty wacky but still alot of fun.

the club tennis program varies wildly from school to school. I play on the A&M club team and we have 180 members, charge $40 for dues for everyone and anyone who wants to play a tournament gets to (the most we've taken is 10 teams). practice is also non-mandatory. However, I've heard of many other much more hardcore clubs doing things like weeklong tryouts with no options for people who dont make the cut/just want to have fun, mandatory practice 3-5 days a weeks, $700 dues so teams can travel all over the country, matches every other weekend etc. so you'll really have to contact the people in charge of the clubs at the schools your looking at to find out more. and to be honest, its probably not a realistic goal to get onto Berkely or Davis' A team in 2 years, but most schools will atleast have a B team that you can play on.

One other thing you might want to watch out for though: the tennis on campus program has a policy that there can only be one ex college varsity player per team, and community colleges do count. Also, if it comes down between an ex-varsity guy and an ex-varsity girl, 9 out of 10 captains will pick the girl. that being said, nobody actually checks that unless your playing at the nationals tournament, so as long as you keep quiet that you played varsity you shouldnt have any problems.

Nice description. Hey, how's Arizona and Nationals? :D

randomname
04-18-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not on the nationals team

EC230
04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey ogruskie,

I'm actually a member of the Davis Club Team and we do have A and B teams when we are sent out for tournaments... but for the most part like at this past Nationals we brought 9 people (6 guys, 3 girls). From what I have been a part of, pretty much anyone willing to play and try out with us has a chance of making the traveling team. Where you play will be dependent on initial challenge matches that will be played at the beginning of the academic year. I know for a fact that Cal's club team also runs a similar format where selecting individuals, but I'm not sure how much more stringent they are. They are, along with Stanford, the team that we associate and socialize with the most in terms of practices, scrimmages, and just hanging out in general.

Anyways, feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

E

mutantducky
04-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Pros- both will give you a chance to meet people and get new hitting partners. plus lots of fine tennis girls out there. :)
IM tennis can be a waste of time when the play is lower but I've had matches when 4.5 to 5.5 players suddenly come out and play.

jbetti
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I used to be the captain of UC Irvine's club team.

if it is 2 years of high school tennis combined with lessons, you can definitely go from 3.5 to 4.5+.

Play tournaments as often as you can. Having experience in matches is the difference between 4.5 and 5.0, I think.

Hi jbetti :D

Hey tenniko... so we played you at Nationals last year. Great match. Did you play? I played men's doubles in that match.

jbetti
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I lied, we played Davis I think.... I forget now... I'm going to have to look it up now. It's been to long. Btw, how about Duke winning Nationals this year? I miss college.

ogruskie
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey ogruskie,

I'm actually a member of the Davis Club Team and we do have A and B teams when we are sent out for tournaments... but for the most part like at this past Nationals we brought 9 people (6 guys, 3 girls). From what I have been a part of, pretty much anyone willing to play and try out with us has a chance of making the traveling team. Where you play will be dependent on initial challenge matches that will be played at the beginning of the academic year. I know for a fact that Cal's club team also runs a similar format where selecting individuals, but I'm not sure how much more stringent they are. They are, along with Stanford, the team that we associate and socialize with the most in terms of practices, scrimmages, and just hanging out in general.

Anyways, feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

E

Hey, thanks for the response! Could you just give me a description of what an average player on your team is like? In terms of playing skill, and etc...

Thanks

EC230
04-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey Ogruskie,

I know for sure that the top 6 on our Men's side are at least solid 4.5s, maybe even 5.0s. One of us was even ranked as high as #4 in doubles during his years at Chabot in addition to a singles ranking. And pretty much all of us have played High school, with us 6 a couple of us have had some sort of NorCal ranking during Junior years. Our captain's little brother is also currently on the UC Davis Men's Team.

After that, the middle to lower half of our men's side would be hovering around the 4.0 to 4.5 range, with a couple of sleepers that could be in our top 10 on any given day.

And I'm pretty sure that Cal and Stanford's teams are similar to us in that regard, with both of them having former NCAA players and a couple of guys that were extremely strong Junior players.

Hope that helps and let me know if there's anything else I can answer!

E

Oh and if you're around the Bay Area, Stanford is hosting a Tennis On Campus Tournament May 2nd that you should check out. You'll be able to get a good read on the players each team (Cal, Davis, Stanford) has. But as far as I know our team (Davis) may not be at full strength for that tournament as 3 of the top 6 won't be available.

EC230
04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Ogruskie:

BTW I noticed rereading the thread that you're heading to DVC... that should mean you around Contra Costa County no? If so, which high school do you currently play for and where do you usually play at?

E

ogruskie
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I play for Northgate High. I usually play in my community though. I live very close to DVC, like a 20 minute drive away. You can email me at rxevo224@yahoo.com if you want more personal info. Since you know the area pretty well I assume you live somewhere close too.

Again, thanks for the info!

EC230
04-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Got it. And yes I'm around the Walnut Creek area so I'm relatively close. Anyways, feel free to PM me if you want more info regarding the UCD Tennis Club. Other than that, if you are free on the 2nd, you should definitely head to Stanford and check out the tournament that day!

E

fortunecookiesjc
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
sad, my school doesnt have sports since its an architectural based school. Im going to have to find a club :(