PDA

View Full Version : Grip Size Question

StupidCupid
03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Hello,

I have a couple of racquets that I need to reduce sizes of the grips.

I need to reduce them by 1/8"

Months ago, I tried sanding the handle of another racquet down manually with sand paper. It did not work very well because I could not get any symmetry doing that on the handle.

Do any of you have a better method ?

Thanks.

Gaines Hillix
03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
It is very difficult to do and most people give up like yourself because it is hard to reduce the size of each bevel equally. It is almost impossible on a graphite handle. On a foam handle if you were patient enough and you were using a sanding block that was very flat and stable you might be able to do it by counting the exact number of strokes you took on each bevel with the racquet in some kind of vice rotating it from bevel to bevel and taking measurements each time you went around the handle.

GermaniumGenie
03-10-2005, 04:56 PM
How much does a new grip cost (not an overgrip or replacement grip, but the actual handle)?

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Gaines,
if you removed the grip and put an overgrip over the handle pallet how much would that reduce the size?

Steve Huff
03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Take off the grip, add 2 overgrips and you should be 1/8" smaller (I've used the Yonex and Wilson Pro overgrips, and both come out the same).

SC in MA
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Take off the grip, add 2 overgrips and you should be 1/8" smaller (I've used the Yonex and Wilson Pro overgrips, and both come out the same).I would think this would feel pretty harsh. Does it ?

NoBadMojo
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
2 overgrips would reduce the size but like SC sez will allow alot more shock to be transmitted when mis hits occur..you can def feel the bevels thats for sure, but i would be careful with this if you arent a good ball striker and/or you are using stiff racquets and/or strings.

Geezer Guy
03-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Instead of reducing the size of your grip, maybe you could increase the size of your hand. There are various products available over the internet which claim they can increase the size of certain body parts. I haven't seen anything for the "hands" but maybe a google search would turn up something. :)

IOP
03-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Instead of reducing the size of your grip, maybe you could increase the size of your hand. There are various products available over the internet which claim they can increase the size of certain body parts. I haven't seen anything for the "hands" but maybe a google search would turn up something. :)

Geezer Guy, I am sure you are advocating those products because you have obviously used it to increase the size of your head. However, you forgot to increase the volume of your brain, maybe you need to do something about that.

dyvan
03-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I have used a mouse sander to reduce 1/8" on wilson racquets on several occasions (from 4 5/8 to 4 1/2). One was a PS 6.0, and the other HPS 6.1. Both had foam handles. Doing this by hand would take forever. It took about 15 minutes or so with the mouse sander. Just try to be consistant with the numbers of passes over each bevel of the handle. The mouse sander has a fairly small flat surface, so it was not hard to keep the angle correct. You do have to stop and measure periodically. I wanted to put a 4 1/2 butt cap on, so while I was sanding, I would periodically check to see if the butt cap was getting close to being able to fit on the racquet. While sanding, I would also every once in a while measure the size of the entire handle by sliding the paper ruler up the handle. It was not difficult to keep all the bevels in proportion and the handle a uniform size.

Graphite handles are probably a different story.

Steve Huff
03-14-2005, 02:24 PM
As for 2 overgrips transmitting more shock--try using a Prince Duraperf Contour Overgrip for one of the overgrips. It has a foam ridge. Of course, you'd have to like the feel of a contour grip, but it does reduce the shock.