PDA

View Full Version : POG OS to POG MP, what should I expect?

Tenny
03-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Last night, I used my POG OS for a serious match for the first time. I have been happily using PS6.0 95 for a while but finally began feeling it's kinda too light and have been comparing both. The result was very satisfying. Now I am curious about POG MP. How do they compare? Power, Control, Spin, Stability, Arm-safety (is MP much stiffer than OS?), groundies, netplay etc. Any input is appreciated! Thanks,

TeNNy.

PS) I serve, run well. Feel comfortable with my 1hbh. My FH isn't bad but needs more improvement. Haven't had a lesson or coaching so I am not sure but probably improving 3.5 with good serve? I feel POGO slightly big to my liking and stringbed is very lively (much more powerful than PS6.0 95). I have no probem at Net unlike some say. Overally I can hit various shots with more authority than with 95.

Tenny
03-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Alright, I think there have been too many POG-related thread. I will do some research.

cbegap
03-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Mid is:
Power = less even though I think it is rated more powerful and stiffer. I think it is less because the mains are shorter and you don't get as much trampoline effect.
Control = better, because it has less power. More margin for error.
Spin = great but it is hard on strings
Stabilty = pretty good, has a raw feel to it. You pretty much feel it all.
Arm- Safety = not as good because it is more stiff.

All of this is IMHO

Grimjack
03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I found the fact that these racquets kind of look like each other is about where the similarities end.

POG OS = one of those big-daddy Cadillac cruising machines, but with a V-12 under the hood. It's big, easy-livin', comfortable, and powerful. Very usable by anyone from about 3.0 - 7.0. You can cruise nice and leisurely if you want, but you can crank that ***** up, too.

POG MP = Ferarri. 4.5 and under need not apply, unless they're willing to compromise results. This is a performance vehicle, and needs a skilled driver. It ain't built for comfort, it's built to accelerate (er...swing really hard) and turn on a dime (offer a ton of control to the player who already swings with open-level player consistency and aggressivenes).

gmlasam
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I found the fact that these racquets kind of look like each other is about where the similarities end.

POG OS = one of those big-daddy Cadillac cruising machines, but with a V-12 under the hood. It's big, easy-livin', comfortable, and powerful. Very usable by anyone from about 3.0 - 7.0. You can cruise nice and leisurely if you want, but you can crank that ***** up, too.

POG MP = Ferarri. 4.5 and under need not apply, unless they're willing to compromise results. This is a performance vehicle, and needs a skilled driver. It ain't built for comfort, it's built to accelerate (er...swing really hard) and turn on a dime (offer a ton of control to the player who already swings with open-level player consistency and aggressivenes).
Hhahahahahaha good one Grimjack. You should do a comercial for Prince :) But, you did summarized the POG very well :)

gmlasam
03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Mid is:
Power = less even though I think it is rated more powerful and stiffer. I think it is less because the mains are shorter and you don't get as much trampoline effect.
Control = better, because it has less power. More margin for error.
Spin = great but it is hard on strings
Stabilty = pretty good, has a raw feel to it. You pretty much feel it all.
Arm- Safety = not as good because it is more stiff.

All of this is IMHO
I second your opinion :)

I would like to add that both have one big thing in common...spin, spin, spin, spin, spin and more spin!! :)

Grimjack
03-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Hhahahahahaha good one Grimjack. You should do a comercial for Prince :) But, you did summarized the POG very well :)

That isn't to say I think the POG OS is the "Cadillac of Tennis Racquets," nor the MP the "Ferarri of Tennis Racquets."

It's merely to say the OS is more Cadillac-y, and the MP more Ferarri-y, relative to one another.

pchoi04
03-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Expect that its going to be the best racquet you'll play with..

gmlasam
03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
That isn't to say I think the POG OS is the "Cadillac of Tennis Racquets," nor the MP the "Ferarri of Tennis Racquets."

It's merely to say the OS is more Cadillac-y, and the MP more Ferarri-y, relative to one another.
But they are :)

Tenny
03-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks all,

The reason I switched from PS6.0 95 to POG OS was that finally I began feeling 95 is too light. Against heavy hitter, POG works better. I am getting a POG MP soon!

Ten.

AndrewD
03-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Tenny,
when you drop down to the midplus I think you'll find a better response on serve and a bit more manoueverability at net but a less comfortable feel on groundstrokes and less innate power. The POG OS has a lot of grunt, actually its got a huge amount of power behind it (cant work out why people say its low powered) so the midplus will drop that away a bit. The one area Id say the midplus would have the advantage is on serve. Although I enjoy the other aspects of the OS I find I dont get quite the wrist snap with it as I do with a mid or midplus frame.

phat
03-13-2005, 04:58 PM
AndrewD is right about the power. I would say POG is powerful. But the fact that it's very spin-friendly with excellent control, and you find yourself hitting the line and the other powerhorses would drive the ball out..... The impression of POG being low powered is preceived.

Tenny
03-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks, AndrewD and phat.

I agree. POG OS is quite powerful but it also has a very good control (spin). When I play with it, I feel like I am playing a tag match with my older, stronger (and dependable) brother. Compared to PS6.0 95, however, I found it feels a little bit like a trampoline (relatively speaking). So, I have been wondering whether POG MP can fill the gap. It might be too demanding to me but it's OK. It's a worthy experiment.

gmlasam
03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Tenny,

Perhaps, tensioning the POG OS a little tighter or using a more control oriented string like Lux Timo.

What tension do you have your POG OS set to now? On my POG OS i string on the higher side of the recommended tension, around 64 lbs if using syn. gut, but for poly's I would string about 60 lbs.

I play the POG mid and I string that around 60 lbs for syn. gut and about 57 for poly's.

Tenny
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Tenny,

Perhaps, tensioning the POG OS a little tighter or using a more control oriented string like Lux Timo.

What tension do you have your POG OS set to now? On my POG OS i string on the higher side of the recommended tension, around 64 lbs if using syn. gut, but for poly's I would string about 60 lbs.

I play the POG mid and I string that around 60 lbs for syn. gut and about 57 for poly's.

Thanks, gmlasam.

Currently it's 58 with prince synthGut 16. I did the string job myself using a Klippermate. So not sure if it's really 58. But I prefer lower tension than high end cause I don't like boardy feel (I've hit with my friend's V1-strung at 65. didn't like it at all). But definitely I will increase the tension next time to maybe 60 or so. BTW, I've tried TiMO once but didn't get why it's so loved. Lux strings, to me, play and sound very 'differently'.

Tenny
03-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Hello~.

Finally I've got the POG MP and tried yesterday briefly (mainly serve). The biggest first impression was it's way STIFFER than POG OS. I just brought it to a local courts and practiced serve and hit against the wall a little bit. I am yet to try it against my tennis buddies. Or I might have used wrong string though. I strang it with a Ashaway monogut 17 @45LB. I've tried TIMO, Kirschbaum touch toubo. Unlike Prince Syngut or tech NRG2, these strings look more plastic-y (maybe due to their surface coating?) and stiff/hard to string. And I felt they play so. Kinda springy, resilent, 'dry', stiff. Does Monogut need a break-in time? My POGOS was strung with prince synthGut 16 (58) and plays like a dream (sweet and, 'wet' feel). I expected 'gut' like feel but monogut played more like TIMO. So, overall, POG MP wasn't that impressive but I know I should try further.

Ashaway Monogut 17.
A multi-polymer monofilament synthetic gut offering the durability of a monofilament, but with the responsiveness of a synthetic gut. Designed for hard hitters seeking a durable string without the harsh feel associated with durability hybrids.

FREDDY
03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
stick with the oversized one. the midsize is pretty difficult to use. im having trouble with it as well.

Tenny
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
stick with the oversized one. the midsize is pretty difficult to use. im having trouble with it as well.

Freddy, thanks for the input

I've replaced the string (Monogut 45LB) with Gogen OG sheep micro 17 (48LB) and hit a court again. Now it feels quite differently (Much better). Stills the frame itself is stiff but overall plays softer. I love OS but this MP does have an edge in control department. It was a fun to serve with this stick w new string. If you don't like the feel of your POG MP setup, try another string and lower tension.

Tenny