PDA

View Full Version : How do Pro players train? All day or just on/off?

slicefox
04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
So are players like Federer/Nadal/Roddick/Djokovic/Murray on the court/gym 12 hours a day?

It seems to me like they have too much of a personal life, I don't know but if I was Pro (didn't have to work) I would be training 12-14 hours per day 5 days per week.

How is it with these guys?

baseline08thrasher
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Heavens no.

They do not spend that much time in the gym or on the court.

They do two hour sessions: one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

And two one hour fitness sessions.

Usually that at the most.
Remember they have been doing this for a very long time also, and when you have all of that talent and are already so good, it's hard to get a lot better, so you want to make sure you have few injuries, and make sure you can play the whole year, and then in the off-season try and get better.
They do not spend way too much time on the court or in the gym because it will cause an injury.

Stchamps
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
If you trained that much you would get injured.

miyagi
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM
So are players like Federer/Nadal/Roddick/Djokovic/Murray on the court/gym 12 hours a day?

It seems to me like they have too much of a personal life, I don't know but if I was Pro (didn't have to work) I would be training 12-14 hours per day 5 days per week.

Federer who has won absolutely everything has too much of a personal life?

Nadal who has been massively consistant has too much of a personal life?

Murray who has made improvements by leaps and bounds in the past 12 month and hasnt had the time to learn too drive has to much of a personal life?

Are you serious? Or would you prefer robots play tennis? Then they wouldnt need any life at all? :shock:

gj011
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM

When would you play tournaments then?

dandaman
04-13-2009, 12:37 AM

I hope your kidding.

6 hours a day seems to be the limit for most players.
Do you know how tired you are after a week of training 6 hours a day.

A lot of players usually practice 1 1/2 hours of tennis in the morning and another 1 1/2 hour session in the afternoon. Plus 1 hour of fitness and quite some time for other stuff(stretching, massages etc....)

It's about the quality of training, not the quantity!!
There is no one in the world who would be able to have a 100% focused practice over 12hours a day.....plus you'll get injured

Bud
04-13-2009, 01:40 AM

Beside the 4-6 hours, or so, of practice and fitness training daily... they are also globe-hopping from week to week after each tournament. Have you ever traveled and lived out of a suitcase for extended periods of time... while hopping time zones? Ever experienced jet lag or homesickness?

Beside that, they have a specific diet they stick to... which, in itself, can be onerous and time consuming.

Personally, I don't know how these players do it week in and out, year after year.

[osu]ilovecows
04-13-2009, 01:48 AM

That right there is the reason you're obviously not a pro. You have absolutely no idea what it takes. I'd like to see you try to train 60-70 hours a week.

dandaman
04-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Beside the 4-6 hours, or so, of practice and fitness training daily... they are also globe-hopping from week to week after each tournament. Have you ever traveled and lived out of a suitcase for extended periods of time... while hopping time zones? Ever experienced jet lag or homesickness?

Beside that, they have a specific diet they stick to... which, in itself, can be onerous and time consuming.

Personally, I don't know how these players do it week in and out, year after year.

Very true.
The Diets alone can be extremely time consuming. The whole travelling takes enormous amounts of energy.
I don't think most people understand how difficult it must be to be a pro. All they do the whole day is train....and then think about the fastest an best ways to recover.

When watching tennis on tv or live.....it looks so easy, but believe me.....it isn't

Frodo Baggins
04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow:shock: I Just Get tired From Reading All this!!!:shock:

markwillplay
04-13-2009, 10:30 AM
no diet can keep you going 12 hours of training a day for a year...rediculous (no offense). A huge part of any training regimen is rest. Rest keeps you fresh for any physical training. I would imagine that they do lots of interval training at intense levels with lots of rest. This would seem to be sports specific for tennis as you put out a lot of energy then sit down, etc.... People who say they train 12 hours a day are lying. they mey think about it but no one can go 12 hours a day of "real" training without breaking down fairly quickly. Yes, you could do it for a very short time but I doubt that would be useful to tennis players at all. Now they could certainly hang out at the tennis center/gym, for 12 hours. But that is not steady training....no way.

l_gonzalez
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM

This has to be a contender for most ridiculous post this year so far... Have you even tried to play tennis for just 2 hours with anything like the intensity that the pros practice with? I guess not because otherwise you wouldn't be making such insane statements.

There was some guy in another thread saying he played 33-40 hours a week and i thought that was crazy, my reply to his post is mostly relevant to this topic:

Originally Posted by l_gonzalez View Post
33-40 hours... i can't see how you could possibly play all that tennis productively. that's like 4-6 hours of tennis a day, every day, 7 days a week.

Either you're a pro and have awesome stamina or you're just wasting a lot of time on court. There's a point where you get diminishing returns from being on court, it gets counter-productive. You cannot possibly keep up the intensity for that long, even if you split it over 2 sessions a day. Your legs get heavy, your footwork gets sloopy, you get to the ball late and then it's all down hill from there.

When I lived in Prague I played at a club that a quite a few Czech pros used, especially during the winter... Lukas Rosol, Jan Minar, Adam Vejmelka and a couple of others that i can't remember, most of these guys were or are in the top 500 and i got to talk to them a few times. When they take a couple of weeks off tour to practice they are on court 3-4 hours a day, never more than that, and it's the same during the off season. I watched them practice many times and their intensity is just crazy. Footwork and movement is out of this world. I play decent tennis, 5.0-5.5, and i'm very fit, yet if i played tennis with that intensity i would barely last an hour on court.

It's not always about the hours you spend on court, it's how well you use them that really matters.

I should also add to this that as a someone mentioned above, they did indeed split these 3-4 hours of tennis a day into 2 sessions.

From the few conversations i had with them, a typical training day (out of competition of course) roughly broke down like this:

7:30am: Get up, drink some water and get ready.

8am: Long run (10km to 12km) or sprints sessions.

9am: Stretching/yoga then breakfast.

10am - 12pm: Hitting session, mostly drills. a few tie-breaks at the end.

12pm - 2pm: stretch, lunch, rest.

2pm - 4pm: Another session on court, drills, 1 or 2 sets at the end depending on how long the 1st set is.

4pm - 6pm: Stretch, eat something, rest.

6pm - 7pm: Weights session.

After that they just take it easy, make sure they drink plenty of water and cosume enough protein and carbs to allow their muscles to recover. These guys were always eating, always snacking on something. even during their time on court I saw lots of fruit, cereal bars, little sandwiches... Whenever i saw them off court they were eating something.

If you think about it that's a pretty intense schedule which spans nearly 12 hours. It's a tougher schedule than your average 9-5 job. Everyone says how awesome it is to be a pro, but few realise that to make it to the very top there is no option but to sacrifice just about everything.

EtePras
04-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow, no wonder they are barely in the top 500. Luckily for Nadal, he isn't lazy like those guys and everyone who has posted here.

Bud
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow, no wonder they are barely in the top 500. Luckily for Nadal, he isn't lazy like those guys and everyone who has posted here.

And who exactly are you? When have you ever trained like a pro?

l_gonzalez
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Lukas Rosol is currently ranked 140 in the world. at least check your facts before you troll.

predrag
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM

2pm - 4pm: Another session on court, drills, 1 or 2 sets at the end depending on how long the 1st set is.

This is not 4-5 hrs practice a day.
This is good 8 hours of working out like crazy
Whoever calls these guys lazy is nuts

Regards, Predrag

Blade0324
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about...and it's obvious you don't either.:roll:

SempreSami
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
if I was Pro (didn't have to work) I would be training 12-14 hours per day 5 days per week.

You'd be portrayed as unsociable.

vive le beau jeu !
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
hey gorecki where are you ?! there's a new train thread ! :)

tomas9848
04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
They practice like a couple hours a day.

Leublu tennis
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Those are some very good points. I used to travel a fair amount around the states and it was very tiring. I was always happy to get home. But time zones? I don't know how they do it. For me the first two three days are simply shot, and thats just going from California to Europe.

LT

Tennis_Monk
04-13-2009, 06:27 PM
This has to be a contender for most ridiculous post this year so far... Have you even tried to play tennis for just 2 hours with anything like the intensity that the pros practice with? I guess not because otherwise you wouldn't be making such insane statements.

There was some guy in another thread saying he played 33-40 hours a week and i thought that was crazy, my reply to his post is mostly relevant to this topic:

Originally Posted by l_gonzalez View Post
33-40 hours... i can't see how you could possibly play all that tennis productively. that's like 4-6 hours of tennis a day, every day, 7 days a week.

Either you're a pro and have awesome stamina or you're just wasting a lot of time on court. There's a point where you get diminishing returns from being on court, it gets counter-productive. You cannot possibly keep up the intensity for that long, even if you split it over 2 sessions a day. Your legs get heavy, your footwork gets sloopy, you get to the ball late and then it's all down hill from there.

When I lived in Prague I played at a club that a quite a few Czech pros used, especially during the winter... Lukas Rosol, Jan Minar, Adam Vejmelka and a couple of others that i can't remember, most of these guys were or are in the top 500 and i got to talk to them a few times. When they take a couple of weeks off tour to practice they are on court 3-4 hours a day, never more than that, and it's the same during the off season. I watched them practice many times and their intensity is just crazy. Footwork and movement is out of this world. I play decent tennis, 5.0-5.5, and i'm very fit, yet if i played tennis with that intensity i would barely last an hour on court.

It's not always about the hours you spend on court, it's how well you use them that really matters.

I should also add to this that as a someone mentioned above, they did indeed split these 3-4 hours of tennis a day into 2 sessions.

From the few conversations i had with them, a typical training day (out of competition of course) roughly broke down like this:

After that they just take it easy, make sure they drink plenty of water and cosume enough protein and carbs to allow their muscles to recover. These guys were always eating, always snacking on something. even during their time on court I saw lots of fruit, cereal bars, little sandwiches... Whenever i saw them off court they were eating something.

If you think about it that's a pretty intense schedule which spans nearly 12 hours. It's a tougher schedule than your average 9-5 job. Everyone says how awesome it is to be a pro, but few realise that to make it to the very top there is no option but to sacrifice just about everything.

While the post is mostly accurate, there are some stuff that is generalized too much and non factual. Intensity varies from person to person and time to time. Training 3-5 hrs is not uncommon.I have seen Pro's train that amount of time (not the Nadal's of tennis but Juniors trying to move up the ladder). There are some tennis camps that i know of where they would have programs that run for that long in a given day.

pricey_aus
04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Before the Aussie Open, I had to practice for the AO coaches camp. I saw Safin and he trained for 1 hour blocks, 3 times. Also he did an hour of sprint work in the gym. So he pretty much did 4 hours of hard work, 4 days out from his first round match. I know this varies from person to person. Some of my mates where lucky to hit with top 10 players, and some trained for 1 hour, some trained for 2-3(i.e nadal). It really is all about personal preference and what they need to do to feel 100% before a tournament begins

miniRafa386
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
doesnt nadal spend a total of 8 or so hours training a day (not during a tourny)? i heard he hits for like 4 or 5 and then works out, but with no weights, just bands, rope work, swimming, etc.

pricey_aus
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, he may spend 8 hours working, but he only does 2-3 hours on court (sorry i didnt clarify that). On the other hand however, my fitness trainer was in the gym during the AO and Nadal was in there warming up before his match. He told me that he spent an awfully long time looking at himself in the mirror, and not doing anything else....;)

veroniquem
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, he may spend 8 hours working, but he only does 2-3 hours on court (sorry i didnt clarify that). On the other hand however, my fitness trainer was in the gym during the AO and Nadal was in there warming up before his match. He told me that he spent an awfully long time looking at himself in the mirror, and not doing anything else....;)
Whatever Nadal did during the AO, it worked :)

EtePras
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Lukas Rosol is currently ranked 140 in the world. at least check your facts before you troll.

140, 500, what's the difference? Until he gets to #1, he's not worth talking about. Or at the very least, a regular contender in the semis of slams.

J011yroger
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
140, 500, what's the difference? Until he gets to #1, he's not worth talking about. Or at the very least, a regular contender in the semis of slams.

lol, I would hate to hear what you think about the rest of us.

J

egn
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM

God why are you on a tennis forum. We spend a good portion of time paying attention to players from 2-100 also. They provide good matches, are usually former 1s or future 1s, players who have nice aspects of game etc. etc..wait why am i bothering gosh have to stop feeding trolls.

LanceStern
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Me and my friends would play everyday about 6 hours over summer break. Certainly not the "intensity" of pros, but "intense" for us.

Pirao
04-14-2009, 01:17 AM

No you wouldn't. That's called overtraining, and it's counterproductive.

martini1
04-14-2009, 04:09 AM
doesnt nadal spend a total of 8 or so hours training a day (not during a tourny)? i heard he hits for like 4 or 5 and then works out, but with no weights, just bands, rope work, swimming, etc.

I've heard 8 hrs somewhere else also. However with the guns he got he must be lifting weights at least 1-2 hrs per day on average. May be he doesn't do weights during tournament time only.

veroniquem
04-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I've heard 8 hrs somewhere else also. However with the guns he got he must be lifting weights at least 1-2 hrs per day on average. May be he doesn't do weights during tournament time only.
He says he never lifts weights.

Ilove10nis
04-14-2009, 09:22 AM

you such a looser!!!! No one care about you then!!! you not a number one in anything. if it's want you think???