PDA

View Full Version : Nadal even better than you think

RoddickAce
04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
...says Roddick

" "I think he kind of gets pigeon holed into what people remember from five years ago," added the 26-year-old. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSTRE52P6N920090326

An interesting article, and I kind of agree with Roddick. To this day, many people label Nadal as a "pusher", or "counterpuncher" that only waits for his opponents to make unforced errors. But actually, he dictates play a lot (granted, not to the extent of Agassi, who is a model for aggressive baselining), and he often hits outrageous winners with crazy angles.

What do you guys think, does Nadal SERIOUSLY still just wait for the error all the time, or is there some prejudice and a lasting effect of a first impression going on?

(Btw this is not a bandwagon thread to praise Nadal, or a flaming thread to criticize people; this is just a thought on why people still consider him a counterpuncher who waits for errors despite his aggressive tennis)

atac
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
People who call him a pusher are usually Federer fanatics.

[d]ragon
04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
He doesn't sit and wait for errors, he forces them. Yeah I agree that there's more to Nadal than some people believe. He really is a smart player. Doesn't always go for the winner, hitting deep topspin shots and not painting the lines all the but when he wants to, he definitely can. Also his serve is very underated.

The Don
04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Nadal is a smart player i have to say even when he is in the tightest situations he knows where to hit the ball

Blinkism
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Am I just crazy or does no one remember the days in 2003-2006 when Nadal was considered "The Next Federer"??

Their techniques are much more similar than people think. On the ATP tour, only Nadal puts more spin on the ball than Federer.

He has legitimate skills and his arsenal of tennis weapons are just as stacked as anyone else's, and he keeps improving his net game and serve.

sh@de
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't think Nadal's a pusher. He dictates play more than people think. He's a very intelligent player, adjust on the fly real well. I'd say his adaptation skills are on par with say Murrays.

mjv384
04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Nadal keeps on getting better and that is why he is on the top of the game. He is so solid and stable all around. It is hard to find a weakness. He has worked his way up and has become a great player.

helloworld
04-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Nadal a pusher? The guy has one of the heaviest forehand in history of tennis. He can drag people all over the court with his heavy groundstrokes much like Agassi. Nadal has one of the most effective offense game tennis has ever seen. Definitely not a pusher IMO.

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
I think a lot of people look at Nadal differently because he is a lefty. Most people can identify with certain aspects of Federer's, Murray's, Roddick's games, simply b/c they're rightys and thats something common. But the fact that Rafa's a lefty and plays the game so much differently-with so much consistent spin, makes people want to categorize him as a pusher, which is unfair.

vtmike
04-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Am I just crazy or does no one remember the days in 2003-2006 when Nadal was considered "The Next Federer"??

Their techniques are much more similar than people think. On the ATP tour, only Nadal puts more spin on the ball than Federer.

He has legitimate skills and his arsenal of tennis weapons are just as stacked as anyone else's, and he keeps improving his net game and serve.

Seriously?? Are you kidding me?? :shock: Other than imparting a lot of spin, I don't see any other similarity in their techniques!!

Blinkism
04-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Seriously?? Are you kidding me?? :shock: Other than imparting a lot of spin, I don't see any other similarity in their techniques!!

Their respective styles are not polar opposites as some people here would have us think. I'd say that their serves (especially 2nd) are similar, as of late. Also, Nadal's approach shots are similar to Fed's approach shots circa 2006-2007. And Nadal's new slices and net game are also similar to Fed's.

They're both baseliners, through-and-through. You can see that in the long baseline rallies, especially on clay.

tahiti
04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I have never thought of Nadal as a pusher. He can take on any winning ball and turn it into a winner, he can hit amazing angles and he has the best forehand in the game. People who loved Federer will always compare Nadal to him. Doesn't make Nadal any less of a player if he doesn't play the way Federer does. In fact, again, If Nadal's game has managed to to beat Federer on every surface it says enough.

drakulie
04-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Their techniques are much more similar than people think.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

vtmike
04-13-2009, 08:18 AM
^^^ That was exactly how I reacted when I read his post! :)

tata
04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Without a doubt their forehand technique is different. One uses a 1hbh and the other uses 2. Nadal actually muscles a lot of his serves while federer doesnt. And i seriously doubt nadal volleys as great as federer. So how the hell are they similar at all?

MizunoMX20
04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
It's interesting to hear people's real valuation of Rafa's game, because I've heard Nadal being referred to as ''The Mallorcan Moonballer'' several times (but that could've been on the BBC forum aswell). I agree with most that's being said here. Nadal doesn't go for a winner on every shot, but plays very agressive still.