PDA

View Full Version : What can Ernests Gulbis do to turn around his year/career?

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to start a non Fed/Nadal thread. This was a guy a lot of people were high on coming in to this year. Has some skills, but has struggled as of yet this yr, just got blasted by Kohlscreiber in Monte Carlo. Is it just a bad start to the year, or should there be legit concern for the young guy, with a lot of points to defend coming up in France?

batz
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Just wanted to start a non Fed/Nadal thread. This was a guy a lot of people were high on coming in to this year. Has some skills, but has struggled as of yet this yr, just got blasted by Kohlscreiber in Monte Carlo. Is it just a bad start to the year, or should there be legit concern for the young guy, with a lot of points to defend coming up in France?

He just got rid of his coach a few days ago.

He does seem to be wandering in the wilderness. I heard he comes from a really rich family. Maybe he knows life is good whatever happens on court and that stops him being truly hungry?

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2009, 12:41 AM

He does seem to be wandering in the wilderness. I heard he comes from a really rich family. Maybe he knows life is good whatever happens on court and that stops him being truly hungry?

Got rid of his coach? Didn't know that. This may be a crossroads for him in his young career. He's still young (20), but its only so long in tennis where you go from being a young hopeful to a disappointment. Hopefully he can turn it around pretty soon.

supitsnic
04-13-2009, 12:47 AM
I really like Gulbis! When I saw him play a year ago, I thought that he had great potential.

I've been wanting him to have a breakthrough in his career. Hopefully soon. :)

vtmike
04-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Yeah last year he had some good matches! I really thought he would be a real threat coming into 2009....Maybe changing his coach was the right thing to do? and this just might be a transition period!

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
What can he do to get better results?

Fedace
04-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I think he should switch places with homeless pro ranked in #2000 or so. and be forced to give up all his endorsements and wake up without his millionare father of his. then made to pay and plan all his pro workouts with No help.

RalphNYC
04-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I think he should switch places with homeless pro ranked in #2000 or so. and be forced to give up all his endorsements and wake up without his millionare father of his. then made to pay and plan all his pro workouts with No help.

OK. And I think you're an idiot. It wasn't money that got him to the ATP level to begin with. And it's not money that's going to make him increase his ranking. Why do people on this forum think getting into the top 25 is no big deal? Just change your grip or your head size, or reduce your bank account. Hogwash, all of it. Competing in the ATP is the most insanely difficult level of tennis you can experience, and very few people can make it. It takes a host of skills, mental, physical and emotional - and it takes some luck too. Many, many people try very hard to succeed in it, but most will fail.

We'll see where Gulbis goes. I for one am a huge fan of his and wish him the best in his career. He has a beautiful game that no money can buy.

Serendipitous
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I really hope Gulbis turns his year around. He hasn't gotten past the second round of an event in a long time (since his quarterfinal in Cincinnati last year). He needs to be more patient and confident. He just split with his longtime coach. If anything, he, not Federer, needs a new coach. :)

Chris De Tone
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I like Gulbis, too. At this point, I think that he should just play as many matches as possible. If you are losing 1st round, play doubles. He needs to get his confidence back. His game is dangerous...no doubt. He just needs to get some momentum from winning matches...any matches. He is young and I believe that he will recover. But as some others have said...he may not be top ten in his career. Maybe top 30 is where he will be...who knows.

jrod
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Well, getting rid of his coach was the 1st step, for sure. I think what you say about his financial upbringing is highly relevant. Money is a really good motivator until you have access to lots of it.

That said, he should hire a good coach and get some major separation from his old man. I can't see him ever breaking out until he grows up, understands he has to fight day in and day out, and realize that his ability to succeed on his own is how people will ultimately judge him. Until then, he will continue to flounder about.

Cesc Fabregas
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Has anyone ever thought that maybe Gulbis isn't actually very good?

batz
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM

That's heresy in these parts.:)

You might be on to something though.

l_gonzalez
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Gulbis is a very good player but he needs to play the percentages a little more and realise that you can't go for CNN's Play of the Day on EVERY point. Needs to learn to grind out results when he's not playing well. How do you go about achieving that?

Well, if I had the answer to that I wouldn't be posting here, i'd be chillin' on a 150ft Sunseeker somewhere in the Caribbean!

tudwell
04-13-2009, 11:36 AM
He needs to hit with more pace.

batz
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM

:):):) And be a lot less patient!

SAFINATORZ
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Ever since his infamous Match against Roddick at the US open last year, He's been playing like crap. During that match, roddick & gulbis turned a year older as they were born on the same day, Roddick turned a bit wiser and enjoyed the moment after 12am, where as gulbis went down quicker than the stock market crash. He's been struggling since, maybe he needs to hire brad gilbert!

Fedace
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
OK. And I think you're an idiot. It wasn't money that got him to the ATP level to begin with. And it's not money that's going to make him increase his ranking. Why do people on this forum think getting into the top 25 is no big deal? Just change your grip or your head size, or reduce your bank account. Hogwash, all of it. Competing in the ATP is the most insanely difficult level of tennis you can experience, and very few people can make it. It takes a host of skills, mental, physical and emotional - and it takes some luck too. Many, many people try very hard to succeed in it, but most will fail.

We'll see where Gulbis goes. I for one am a huge fan of his and wish him the best in his career. He has a beautiful game that no money can buy.

All i am saying is that i don't think Gulbis works very hard at all. He has talent level can rivals top 5 players in the world. but if he doesn't work hard, he will never get there. He has everything he wants and his father supports him. He has no other worries, he just has to work harder to get to top 10 or top 5 in the world. i think he is spoiled.

JeMar
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
There is something to be said about sports psychologists.

Shaolin
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

Wow....someone is jealous!!

Gulbis just got rid of his coach so at least thats one move he is making (for the better IDK).

Gulbis has insane skills, hope he gets it together. He is one of my favorite players.

orangettecoleman
04-15-2009, 12:10 AM
to turn his year around, he needs to learn to win two or more matches in a row--> more tournament wins--> higher ranking --> better draws.

Leublu tennis
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I like Gulbis, too. At this point, I think that he should just play as many matches as possible. If you are losing 1st round, play doubles. He needs to get his confidence back. His game is dangerous...no doubt. He just needs to get some momentum from winning matches...any matches. He is young and I believe that he will recover. But as some others have said...he may not be top ten in his career. Maybe top 30 is where he will be...who knows.He is a head case IMO.

Underhand
04-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Sugar Daddy should buy Brad Gilbert to Ernie boy to learn some patience and strategy.

Josherer
04-15-2009, 04:50 AM
He isn't very talented.

His father is a BILLIONAIRE so Ernest has just had lots and lots of coaching.

fps
04-15-2009, 06:15 AM
He isn't very talented.

His father is a BILLIONAIRE so Ernest has just had lots and lots of coaching.

right- as we all know, all it takes is for a guy to get lots of coaching for them to become top 50 in the world, especially at the age of 20 when it's still fresh in their mind. the amount of money a tennis player's parents have automatically correlates with their achievements as a player.

and it's also a fact that no other player in the world's top 50 has ever had a single coaching lesson, making it even more unfair that gulbis is allowed to play on tour at all.

DarthFed
04-15-2009, 07:40 AM
right- as we all know, all it takes is for a guy to get lots of coaching for them to become top 50 in the world, especially at the age of 20 when it's still fresh in their mind. the amount of money a tennis player's parents have automatically correlates with their achievements as a player.

and it's also a fact that no other player in the world's top 50 has ever had a single coaching lesson, making it even more unfair that gulbis is allowed to play on tour at all.

WIN 10char

Nellie
04-15-2009, 08:05 AM
People forget that Gulbis was not a very good junior player either and has never really won anything except for few minor futures/challengers. I don't think he knows how to put together a couple of match wins to make runs at tournements, but instead plays only point-to-point. I love his movement on the court and think a little better fitness point contruction is all that separates him from the sucess of del Porto.

NickC
04-15-2009, 09:14 AM
People forget that Gulbis was not a very good junior player either

So? If I'm not mistaken, neither was Nadal. In fact, I don't even think Nadal played junior ball at all in terms of Junior Slams and that whole shebang*. He went straight to the pros at 15 or 16. Junior results mean nothing on the pro circut. Gael Monfils was 3 points away from winning the Grand Slam as a junior, he won the Aussie, the French, and Wimby and made the finals of the USO and lost in the third set, all in the same year. He's still young, but he isn't exactly lighting up the pro circut these days, is he?

*EDIT: Nadal played one round of the Junior Wimby in either 00, 01, or 02, forget which. He lost first round. That was his only big junior tournament.

Shaolin
04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
He isn't very talented.

You know nothing about tennis.

The-Champ
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM

that...and he should start wearing a hat!

Feņa14
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
He's got skills but I don't think he has the fight needed.

I always come back to his match with Nadal at Wimbledon, he had chances and Nadal played a relatively poor match. Gulbis could of really pushed Nadal if he wanted but he let it slide.