PDA

View Full Version : Wow, John McEnroe is 50!

Franz69
04-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Now I feel old. :-)

http://www.reelsportsfan.com/default.aspx?vidId=jsMMym8qmBhzdyNwL2yXSw%3d%3d&vidCat=BixsRhqXgKFvyqD%2fOsKR1w%3d%3d (http://www.reelsportsfan.com/default.aspx?vidId=jsMMym8qmBhzdyNwL2yXSw%3d%3d&vidCat=BixsRhqXgKFvyqD%2fOsKR1w%3d%3d)

charliefedererer
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
But still playing a very high level of tennis. We all got to wish him Happy Birthday in Boston at the Outback event last month. Hope he can find happiness - he seems to have mellowed a little. Even two years ago his behavior was still totally intolerable. Hard to be sure if its aging, the therapy, or the medication that's helping.

theagassiman
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
But still playing a very high level of tennis. We all got to wish him Happy Birthday in Boston at the Outback event last month. Hope he can find happiness - he seems to have mellowed a little. Even two years ago his behavior was still totally intolerable. Hard to be sure if its aging, the therapy, or the medication that's helping.

Medication?

egn
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
at 50 john mcenroe could beat me 6-0, 6-0, 6-1. I think by the third set he might get a little tired and I might get in a good service game on him lol.

joe sch
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I think that the level Johnny Mac is playing at 50 is unsurpassed ... Greatest ever at 50. Ofcourse he is also still the worst example of class and control still at 50. Mac is really piece of history. I think he could probalby still win a few rounds at Wimbledon today. Happy birthday Mac !

hoodjem
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes indeed, Mac looks very sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayGv33lMVj8
Borg does not look too shabby either (at 52).

Kirko
04-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I think that the level Johnny Mac is playing at 50 is unsurpassed ... Greatest ever at 50. Ofcourse he is also still the worst example of class and control still at 50. Mac is really piece of history. I think he could probalby still win a few rounds at Wimbledon today. Happy birthday Mac !

and if Wimbledon was played on real grass he could be like Gonzales was in 1969.

scotus
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Now that Johnny Mac is 50, perhaps he would like to take on a top female pro in the footsteps of Bobby and Billie Jean?

scotus
04-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Two years ago? He is still the same to this day.

For some reason he is at his best behavior in the commentators' booth.

joe sch
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Now that Johnny Mac is 50, perhaps he would like to take on a top female pro in the footsteps of Bobby and Billie Jean?

Mac would love to destroy any of the WTA ladies. Even the Williams sisters are too smart to take that beating. Maybe when he turns 60 he get a Battle of the Sexes III matchup :)

thor's hammer
04-17-2009, 05:28 AM

Years ago Mac was itchin' to play one of the Williams sisters, but they ducked that (and were smart to do so - no win for them). However, at this point an exo between Mac and Henin would make a lot of sense - they're both retired, but presumably both still playing at a very high level. And as far as I know they're members of a mutual admiration society.

The typical rap against a top woman playing a top man is that the guy's movement and power would be too much for the woman. Mac's playing style and age could reasonably offset that. No Connors-Navratilova rules - no first serve only for the man, doubles court for the woman - just a straight up tennis match.

I think interest in this could be high. They could do it for a good (charity) cause, and Tennis Channel could broadcast it.

Comments?

Fliparoni
04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
I remember seeing a YouTube clip of Agassi playing a tiebreak against Ivanovic. Agassi with his bad back against Henin might make a good match.

Tennis Dunce
04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Comments?

Ummm...yeah right here.

Henin 6-0 6-0