PDA

View Full Version : mal washington?

Bigmal87
03-10-2005, 02:29 PM
hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knows whatever happened to mal washington wimbledom finalist vs krajcek in 96, its bugging me because its the first tennis match i remember watching

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 03:08 PM
He's a TV commentator. The last several years he's worked Wimby and the USO.

I don't know *what* he does in-between the tourneys he works.

- KK

SMASHER
03-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I worked with the MaliVai Washington Kids Foundation in Jacksonville, Fl for two years before I moved . Mal is a super cool dude. He now has a real estate company (Washington Properties) in Ponte Vedra. I'm not sure about the ESPN thing. He did not do the AO. It was said that they could not come to terms. Mal still can play. Last year Jim Courier came down for one of our fundraisers. Him and Mal had a 3 set exibition. Courier won 6-5 4-6 6-4. But Mal was moving pretty good. He is doing a lot for kids in the Jacksonville area. Plans to break ground to build a 12 court tennis center is set for middle 2006. His sister Mashona is currently ranked 51 on the WTA tour check her out.
"Do you remember the streaker than ran across the court".

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 03:34 PM
"Do you remember the streaker than ran across the court".
Umm. Was this part of your post? Or is it like a signature? Did someone streak the Washington girl's match? Mal's?

- KK

sambapati
03-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Umm. Was this part of your post? Or is it like a signature? Did someone streak the Washington girl's match? Mal's?

- KK

Come on, you never heard about that? You, who I thought had watched hundreads of matches?
From what I can remember, right before the coin toss between Washington and Kraj. some chick ran across the court naked. i think the camera even caught Kraj. reaction....

I really liked Washington but I wish he had better results in his career. I think the word on him was he was part of that generation of great American players(Sampras Agassi, courrier, etc) but lacked a big weapon so was one level below them and as a result, lost to those guys often. I think he was extremely fit, but knee injuries did him in. Am I right?
He was also more class than crass(Serena, u listening?)

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Yes. His knees wore out.

And "No". During most of the "Sampras Era" I didn't bother watching tennis. (Don't tell anybody but) I found Pete's lack of *passion* too boring to take. And the rest of the ATP seemed to concede too much to him. They simply assumed they were playing for Second Place.

Didn't see the Mal match. Didn't see the streaker. (Oh well....)

- KK

SMASHER
03-11-2005, 05:28 AM
HERE IS A GREAT PICTURE OF THE STREAKER AND BOTH PLAYERS' REACTIONS. CUT AND PASTE THIS SITE TO YOUR BROWSER.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2001/01/06/streaker12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2001/01/06/235737.html&h=220&w=280&sz=25&tbnid=eAmmSGk2NRAJ:&tbnh=85&tbnw=108&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMALIVAI%2BWASHINGTON%26hl%3Den%26lr%3 D%26sa%3DG

ALSO CHECK OUT THE FOUNDATIONS WEB SITE
WWW.MALWASHINGTON.COM

Kaptain Karl
03-11-2005, 08:04 AM
So the Wimby streaker is what prompted the Anna K quote, huh? Didn't know that....

Smasher - It's considered YELLING to use all caps. (Poor "Netiquette".)

- KK