PDA

View Full Version : Did you see Vliegen demolish his racket today?

simi
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
A couple minutes ago, Vliegen became upset because he lost a point/game and took three massive whacks at the clay with his racket. Bent the head on the second whack, and broke the head completely off the handle on the third whack.

Good job, Kristof. Haven't seen a display like that in a long time.

gj011
04-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Federer needed one whack only.

edberg505
04-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah, complete and utter destruction. Most impressive.

Fedace
04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't think the ballboys gonna want that racket... too badly damaged. Not sure if we can uncover the Paint job and Identify what that racket really is....

tahiti
04-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Now that was a demolition job. He didn't stop until it had broken in half, or was it 3/4 and a 1/4?

jazar
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
it was so funny, he just took it apart. almost made me forget i had money riding on him

Skppr05
04-14-2009, 04:20 AM

i'd hope that's all you need in a hardcourt :-P

David_Is_Right
04-14-2009, 04:47 AM

lol maybe the hard court gave him a slight advantage over the clay (wouldn't be the first time)?

dave333
04-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Twas quite impressive.

BreakPoint
04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Federer is better than Vliegen. :)

bladepdb
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
lol maybe the hard court gave him a slight advantage over the clay (wouldn't be the first time)?

Oh snap! [10 chars]

ty slothrop
04-14-2009, 09:19 PM

but compared to vliegen's destroyed racquet, Federer's was practically playable. once vliegen was done, his racket was in numerous pieces...

Nadal_Freak
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
What a disgrace to the game when people destroy their racquets. Totally classless.

fluffy Beaver
04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzujMMWX8eE

Perhaps 3 whacks instead of 1 because Technifibre has better quality than Wilson (considering Wilson's quality control).

Grizvok
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzujMMWX8eE

Perhaps 3 whacks instead of 1 because Technifibre has better quality than Wilson (considering Wilson's quality control).

I'm sure Federer has crappy quality racquets.

TennisNinja
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow, that was.... Impressive.

luckyboy1300
04-14-2009, 11:00 PM
i'd like to see one in a grass court: a totally wrecked racquet

marpiw
04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I think umpires should have yellow and red cards like the referrees in soccer...I think this man should be given a red card and thrown out of the court because of his bad behaviour that doesnt help the sport at all... A couple minutes ago, Vliegen became upset because he lost a point/game and took three massive whacks at the clay with his racket. Bent the head on the second whack, and broke the head completely off the handle on the third whack.

Good job, Kristof. Haven't seen a display like that in a long time.

dincuss
04-15-2009, 03:29 PM
What a disgrace to the game when people destroy their racquets. Totally classless.

Yes is probably is classless, but not a disgrace. If anything people enjoy it when someone get wound up and starts breaking racquets.

ty slothrop
04-16-2009, 06:19 AM
I think umpires should have yellow and red cards like the referrees in soccer...I think this man should be given a red card and thrown out of the court because of his bad behaviour that doesnt help the sport at all...

well, safin did get a point penalty against him after losing serve to let lapentti serve for the match at 6-5 in the third.

he sent a ball out of the stadium to get a warning, then whipped his racket into the changeover bench where it shattered...

stay classy, safin!

herosol
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
I think umpires should have yellow and red cards like the referrees in soccer...I think this man should be given a red card and thrown out of the court because of his bad behaviour that doesnt help the sport at all...

doesn't help? that was funny as ****!
very entertaining.

you know what doesn't help the sport. stick skinny people who are as boring as what people who don't play tennis perceive the sport as.

SaunderS
04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
well, safin did get a point penalty against him after losing serve to let lapentti serve for the match at 6-5 in the third.

he sent a ball out of the stadium to get a warning, then whipped his racket into the changeover bench where it shattered...

stay classy, safin!

Ha, i saw that. it was great. it snapped at the top of the handle!

Mastadon_10S
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
:shock: youtubed it about 1000 times... PSYCHO!

shintan17
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

stay classy, safin!

If he doesn't do such, it's not him. Marat needs to stay that way. We'll all miss him after this year.

marpiw
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I think that what happened has nothing to do with Tennis,it is an act of unnecesary violence...What would have been funny is if two umpire assistants would have grabbed this man and he would have been thrown out of the court in the midst of a general booing...Fortunately the racquet was his and the association had not to pay for it...doesn't help? that was funny as ****!
very entertaining.

you know what doesn't help the sport. stick skinny people who are as boring as what people who don't play tennis perceive the sport as.

marpiw
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
A point penalty is not enough......the player must be disqualified and the match should be given to his oponent...well, safin did get a point penalty against him after losing serve to let lapentti serve for the match at 6-5 in the third.

stay classy, safin!

ty slothrop
04-16-2009, 12:50 PM
A point penalty is not enough......the player must be disqualified and the match should be given to his oponent...

that would have been precisely the outcome had he committed another code violation.

DennisK
04-16-2009, 12:57 PM
The most impressive single piece of racket destruction I've seen was done surprisingly, by Tim Henman when he was knocked out of the 4th round of Wimbledon in 2000, in 5 sets by Mark Philippoussis.

At 5 - 4 in the 5th, The Scud bombs down 3 aces followed by a 2nd serve ace to close it out. Henman, being understandably angry and frustrated, whacks his racket against the heel of his left foot and breaks the hoop clean in two with just a single swipe. He made it look so easy.

It was impressive......most impressive. :D

norcal
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I think that what happened has nothing to do with Tennis,it is an act of unnecesary violence...What would have been funny is if two umpire assistants would have grabbed this man and he would have been thrown out of the court in the midst of a general booing...Fortunately the racquet was his and the association had not to pay for it...I agree, he should be charged with assault on a tennis racket and sentenced to a year of picking Rafa's wedgie out for him.

tacou
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
wow nice smash

saram
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
That was some good stuff :)

Safinator_1
04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
A good whack this guy should take a page from Safin and might learn a thing or two ;)

cesarmo03
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree, he should be charged with assault on a tennis racket and sentenced to a year of picking Rafa's wedgie out for him.

lol very funny...

babolat15
04-17-2009, 08:13 AM
is rafa the only guy in the top 5 who we have never seen break a racket...i believe so

adlis
04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
is rafa the only guy in the top 5 who we have never seen break a racket...i believe so

If he did he would get 10 lashings from uncle toni No?

Big-Serve
04-18-2009, 12:50 PM
rafa wants to try it like marat, vliegen, gonzo, roger :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLXxDeM8tA&feature=channel

TennisLover17
04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
rafa wants to try it like marat, vliegen, gonzo, roger :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLXxDeM8tA&feature=channel

Lmao that's about as far as he'll ever get.

woodrow1029
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
that would have been precisely the outcome had he committed another code violation.
Sorry to bring up a month old thread, but the next code would not have been a default. The third step is Game Penalty. The fourth and each subsequent step is Default or Game Penalty and determined by the supervisor.

Danstevens
06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes is probably is classless, but not a disgrace. If anything people enjoy it when someone get wound up and starts breaking racquets.

Yeah, once in a while, I find it quite exciting to watch but people shouldn't let it become a habit.