PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Surface Poll

Rabbit
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Someone else thought this would be a good poll, so here we go!

I play best on hardcourts, but prefer a natural surface. I've gotten the chance to play on grass a few times and absolutely loved it. I voted for grass.

AndrewD
03-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I'll second that one Rabbit. Grass is a hell of a lot of fun to play on, so long as its a nice, well cared for grass court. First couple of times you play you really feel it in your thighs and glutes LOL but there's so little stress on knees and ankles you'd never want to go back to hard courts.

Grimjack
03-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Dirtball!!!!

GermaniumGenie
03-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I have only played on hard courts and green clay :( I want to play on other surfaces, especially red clay, grass, and carpet! CARPET! I really wonder what that is like!

Ray Wong
03-10-2005, 06:17 PM
only have experience on hard court & carpet, as I know there is no any clay or grass court in HK.

Cuzza
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
90% of courts in Victoria, Australia are en-tou-cas/porous. I have grown up on these courts and I am well adjusted to them. I alsoo like synthetic as I have has some fairly good tourney results on those too.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing on grass though.

Kaptain Karl
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Green clay is my current "favorite" ... but only because I have yet to play some on the list.

Red clay (not European) is also very nice, but I don't see it that often.

Omni sux. Carpet sux. Tartan *really* sux ... as does Sport Court (plastic honey-comb matting; usually used as a cheap resurfacing alternative to hard).

Hard "Laykold"(sp?) is what I play on the most ... but that's just becasue it's ... ubiquitous.

- KK

Vlad
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I played on hard, indoor carpet, red clay, green clay, synthetic grass. I love clay, especially red clay after you water it down a bit. Excellent for finding your rythm and can rip topspin all day long.
I found that green clay can be spotty and bounce is a little weird.. I still prefer it to outdoor hard courts.

joe sch
03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Even though Im in S.Cal where we almost always play on diff variants of hard courts, I love clay since its soo easy on the legs and fun to slide on. I would love to be able to play 4 seasons of tennis, indoor for rain & cold, grass for the wimbledon season, clay for the french season and hard for the rest of the year. Guess I should stop dreaming and be thankful I can play almost every day/week of the year outside in a teeshirt and shorts !

Rabbit
03-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Even though Im in S.Cal where we almost always play on diff variants of hard courts, I love clay since its soo easy on the legs and fun to slide on. I would love to be able to play 4 seasons of tennis, indoor for rain & cold, grass for the wimbledon season, clay for the french season and hard for the rest of the year. Guess I should stop dreaming and be thankful I can play almost every day/week of the year outside in a teeshirt and shorts !

Find a job in Houston. The West Side Tennis Club has every Grand Slam surface. And each of their courts is maintained to perfection.

For those of you who've never played on grass, it is absolutely the easiest on your body. There is as much difference between grass and clay as there is between clay and hard, if not more. Grass and hard are not even comparable in terms of how easy the surface is on the body.

BERDI4
03-11-2005, 07:05 AM
I like red clay, it's good for your ankles and knees as you can slide, and you have time to prepare your shots. I also like grass cause it's nice and fresh, though you need good legs as your body has to be low most of the time

equinox
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
A heavily watered slow en-tou-cas court is best.

backcourt
03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Love clay, so much easier on the body, and the ball tends to react more to just about any type of spin than on hard courts. THe one time I played on grass I loved how it felt, but the speed of the game was so fast and the bounces so low I dont think it would be my best surface.

joe sch
03-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Find a job in Houston. The West Side Tennis Club has every Grand Slam surface. And each of their courts is maintained to perfection.

For those of you who've never played on grass, it is absolutely the easiest on your body. There is as much difference between grass and clay as there is between clay and hard, if not more. Grass and hard are not even comparable in terms of how easy the surface is on the body.

Sound like good advice for the tennis fanatic but what about the weather in TX ?
Do they have indoor courts for all the days that will be missed because of rain and stormy weather ?

NoBadMojo
03-12-2005, 10:45 AM
i vote for har-tru altho i am most effective as a hard courter. i think it's the most fair surface in that you can play any style on it including some serve/volley and it is very kind to these aging bones, and you can still put short or weak balls away and play a big variety, hit winners, ralley, and sliding is fun. i actually find grass to be hard on my body.not by the shock, but more from lower back by having to dig more low skidding balls and also you find yourself doing alot more lunging about adjusting to the erratic bounces..so after the grass i end up with a stiff lower back and my hammies and butt are kinda sore, but it's an aweful lot of fun to play on, and def easy on the knees and ankles and such. my ,o2