PDA

View Full Version : Just started serving with continental... need help.

chrisab508
04-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I just started trying it yesterday, i don't know whats wrong. When i serve it sounds as though the racquet is hitting the ball at the side, cuz it sounds like all its doing is putting spin on it, it doesn't sound like its really making impact. Plus, i always hit it into the net, the only time i got it over was on crappy throws...

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Anonymous
04-04-2004, 07:26 PM
that is exactly whats happening, you need to adjust your toss (toss it above your left foot first then adjust it as needed) and shoulder rotation (if your right handed turn your right shoulder back more than usual) so that when you unwind and hit the ball you hit it straight, also hit up and through the ball to get power on it and it will go over the net

let me know if you need more details

chrisab508
04-05-2004, 04:38 AM
thanks, i think i might be goin about all this the wrong way. I have never had lessons and have been teaching myself for the past year (since i started) and i have made big improvements since then, but i think its time for me to get lessons. I will still, however, try and do things by myself!

Thanks.

sanitarium
04-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Haha, when I teach the continental grip for service at lessons their first few attempts are like what you mentioned, sometimes they're even in! (On the court next to them though...)

Ok first off it depends on what serve youre trying to hit, first or second. But for your first serve the idea is you open up the racquet before you make contact so it essentially opens almost straight but youre still getting the benefit of 'hammering' with the continental grip.

In terms of a second serve I don't open it up to hit a flat serve, I keep it angled but I come from below at 5(im a lefty) and swing up/through the ball for a nice kick serve. Practice is the biggest thing, but I would suggest a lesson

good luck!

chrisab508
04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
yah, i was practicing it at practice today (for high school) cuz everyone else was playing, and i was the odd ball, so the coach just told me to practice my serve. I tried keeping both my wrist and hand loose, and i started getting most of them in!! its amazing the difference that small thing can make, i just let off a little on my grip and i let my wrist go with the flow and it worked! However, i believe those would be most likely 2nd serves, cuz they had a lot of spin on them, and weren't going THAT fast. Now i just need to learn to get a power first serve with continental. Which brings me to my next question:
Do the pros use continental grip on their powerful first serves? like roddick? how is he able to hit the ball so hard with continental grip? you would think it'd be eastern...

Thanks!

Stitch626
04-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Im not so sure about roddick but Sampras used a eastern backhand grip (is that what its kalled?) anywayz, its even more extreme than continental.

chrisab508
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
yah, but how do they hit it so hard using continental, or even more extreme like you said? it seems like all you can hit with continental is spin...

Stitch626
04-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Well first off when players serve as hard as sampras and roddick they need the spin to bring it back into the box. And second, I think the extreme grip allows for better pronation which should add power? I am not sure though, hopefully someone who knows more about this will reply.

Anonymous
04-08-2004, 10:17 AM
They can hit it so hard because they toss the ball way out in front of them, coil up then really jump into the ball ...

TwistServe
04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
I tried witching to continential grips for serves two weeks ago and it just simply woundn't work... Then after 2 long hours of practice today, I finally got the serves down.. I can tell you it is definintely worth the switch. I can say i'm about 70% consistent on serves now whereas with my old grip (eastern/semi-western) I was about 30% consistent.

Also, I can add some spin (slice) or just do a straight flat serve. The grip definitely helps to add power and still be consistent.

The trick I learned is to toss the ball out, high, and to the right of the body. If you want to add some spin, hold the grip one cm counterclockwise from continential (right handers). That's what works for me :lol: :lol:

After that 2 hour practice, some dude saw me playing and wanted to ralley.. After we rallyed, we played a set and I got to try the new serve out.. All I can say is :D :D