PDA

View Full Version : St.Vincent PS85 recommended tension

KOPT
04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Im going to string my PS85(st.vincent) tonight,what is factory recommended string tension for this racquet?Im going to be using synthetic gut,Leoina66.What tension do you guys string your PS85 at?I tried searching,to no avail....

Nanshiki
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
You're going to put the World's Crappiest Synthetic Gut on the Worlds Best Racquet?

The frame should have the recommended tension range on it. Start in the middle and go from there.

KOPT
04-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I wouldnt ask this question if i had a sticker on the racquet,but it has been removed,and i heard that st.vincent has a different recommended tension than the newer versions....So if someone knows the answer please let me know.
As far as the strings go,what difference does it make if i use cheap strings?They are decent strings,i read only good reviews about them,but if you are willing to donate some natural gut to me,i will gladly accept:)

You're going to put the World's Crappiest Synthetic Gut on the Worlds Best Racquet?

The frame should have the recommended tension range on it. Start in the middle and go from there.

KOPT
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
not one bad review,maybe its not such a crappy string after all?I dont really care anyways,im too broke to spend my money on high-end strings
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=LEO

aimr75
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
The bumpered SV's recommended 50-60lbs, and the bumperless was higher, around 55-65 i think, but they might be chicago's

i would string at 55lbs and then take it from there

Thaychua
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
string it at 60 with syn gut. The sv begs for high tension

plasma
04-13-2009, 08:14 PM
no baby, go as low as you can (as Anna always begs!) 55 if you can stand it, 57-58 is perfect for me. with midcourt balls that have no pace, you'll be dreading 60, unless you and thaychua are naturally super muscular or bulky balco types.

Thaychua
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
no baby, go as low as you can (as Anna always begs!)

Ah, you like to visit her between christmas and new year down south. I see..

55 if you can stand it, 57-58 is perfect for me. with midcourt balls that have no pace, you'll be dreading 60, unless you and thaychua are naturally super muscular or bulky balco types.

Muscular? far from it, i can't even handle a k88.
Somehow low tension never felt right for me on the ps85 especially the SV. With an fairly open string pattern 16x18, 60 lbs was the way to go. Great feel and touch, adequate power- was perfect. This was with syn gut. For poly i wouldn't venture past 57.

Keifers
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a couple of SVs, both bumperless, butt cap codes HMQ and HOQ. The recommended tension range stickers say 65-70 lbs.

So I would agree with Thaychua. Don't be afraid to try a high tension -- 60 or even 65.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.

Keifers
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Also, I'm of the opinion that the SVs are not that string-sensitive. My HOQ has POSG 16 in it, from years ago when they didn't even label strings, and it plays very well. The SVs are so solidly built and have great touch and feel, as Thaychua said, that you don't need fancy multifilaments.

P.S. Don't pay too much attention to Nanshiki's colorful way of expressing himself. :)

Nanshiki
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
not one bad review,maybe its not such a crappy string after all?I dont really care anyways,im too broke to spend my money on high-end strings
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=LEO

It's an OLD string, and people either love it or hate it. But no one is going to waste time talking about a string they don't *really* like.

KOPT
04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
I went with gamma synthetic gut 16 gauge string @ 58 lbs,cant wait to take this baby out and finally see what the best frame in the world feels like:)I know for sure that previous owner really enjoyed playing with this racquet,it has a lot "beauty marks",bumperguard is almost completely gone as well as portion of the graphite itself,but its still structurally sound and im sure ready for more court time.
Thanx for all the input guys,some really good info.

VGP
04-14-2009, 05:09 AM
PSGO 16 for me too.

If I want to add some spring, I'll put 16 gauge natural gut in the mains. Other than that, I just go with the cheap synthetic.

plasma
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
ps 85 strung at 58 will perform better than Kournikova in the back of a 57 doing a... ( I'll stop there...)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2v2joup.jpg
after making love; the camera fell in the sand in Cannes, that's why the sky is underexposed, and why my camera is currently out.....

jimbo333
04-17-2009, 02:58 AM
I knew you had to have a good explanation for the camera not working:)

gymrat76
04-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Earliest Chicagos (very few, with black primer) had 70-75 lbs, according to a german expert i spoke to. just saw pics of it.
Later Chicagos and early SVs (red primer) came with 65-70 lbs stickers (no bumper)
Then came 55-65 stickered SVs (i have two bumperless of these) and 50-60 lbs stickered SV with bumper (i have one)

bumperless i have are heavier than bumpered last version of SV.

what worked for me was, had one of the bumperless strung at 66lbs (the highest my stringer agreed on) with head c3 rocket which is a not too shabby string with a god pop sound to it. i had my best ever game with it -ever.....with two layer quarter inch lead at 3&9, racquet was so stable, like a rock :) pretty much my every shot put the U17 Euro champion that i hit with, at defensive, all shots flat and deep at b-line. worst thing is, the phenomenal hitting experience lasted only for a 1-2hr hitting session, then the tension dropped and i could not play the same. if i had the dough to buy strings and string it every hitting session, i would be constantly playing with this...

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/192187306_o.jpg

jorel
04-17-2009, 08:23 AM

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jorel
04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
40-80.....................

plasma
04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
for recreational hitting you can go very very low, and the Prostaff feels as good as Kournikovas tushy it's only when playing power players that you need higher tensions for more control....Gymrat forgot to tell you his stats; he's ripped and well over 200 and likes to bench 250 with no warm up, (true story), so 66 wont fry his arm but it would to a normal human
...guy probably eats a box of cereal fro breakfast...I pray he keeps his hands of my dear sweet Anna...
http://i39.tinypic.com/209rdoy.jpg
hate to see her leave, but love watching her walk away...

jimbo333
04-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Earliest Chicagos (very few, with black primer) had 70-75 lbs, according to a german expert i spoke to. just saw pics of it.
Later Chicagos and early SVs (red primer) came with 65-70 lbs stickers (no bumper)
Then came 55-65 stickered SVs (i have two bumperless of these) and 50-60 lbs stickered SV with bumper (i have one)

bumperless i have are heavier than bumpered last version of SV.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/192187306_o.jpg

Hi there, I agree completely about the very earliest Chicagos having black primer!!!

I have argued this before, but people didn't believe me:)

Kirko
04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Im going to string my PS85(st.vincent) tonight,what is factory recommended string tension for this racquet?Im going to be using synthetic gut,Leoina66.What tension do you guys string your PS85 at?I tried searching,to no avail....

I've used leoina 66 many many times and in the st. vincent model when it was readily available. my tension was 68 lbs.

plasma
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
You're probably 180+ and work with your hands as a skilled laborer (carpenter???) leona 66 at 68????? damn homey!!!!! I think that anything above 58 is risking serious injury on such a stiff frame for those of us not on the Balco diet......do you rip phonebooks in half too???? above 58 is insane, I'm guessing 215 lbs??? how else could you safely hit with a ps 85 with 66 at 68???

gymrat76
04-19-2009, 04:15 AM
You're probably 180+ and work with your hands as a skilled laborer (carpenter???) leona 66 at 68????? damn homey!!!!! I think that anything above 58 is risking serious injury on such a stiff frame for those of us not on the Balco diet......do you rip phonebooks in half too???? above 58 is insane, I'm guessing 215 lbs??? how else could you safely hit with a ps 85 with 66 at 68???

HAHAHAHA :)
Hey Plaz, well I don't think it takes to be necessarily strong or big to play at high tensions. Not at all. I know you are kidding and know that, the power is produced from the shoulder, wings and turn of back. Not the arm. Overall finesse is the key.

As for string tension, if we take a look at how string tensions evolved over a 20 yr period, we can see that back in the day people of all sorts (including wimps like you / jack kramer :) played at high tensions with early graphite sticks.

And if high tensions were meant to be only for strong guys, then, san vincents would come with little black stickers inside throat saying: "If you are not an Arnold look-alike, do not touch me, ***got!"

I personally think, it works to play with a lowish tension such as high 40s (and more of a western grip) OR high tension. Anything in between did not work for me.

And no, I don't eat a box of cereal at one sit :)

And if you want to keep your Kournikova safe, do not let your woman come to Fallujah! MUHAHAHAHHAHAHA :)

plasma
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I remember McEnroe at 48 with his 84 200g, battling a paranoid chezk defector playing a gtx at 74!!!! while highly skilled atheletes (especially bigger ones) often point to the fact that size means nothing, I disagree.
I beat the crap out of world class middleweights after going to art openings and drinking cheap wine. (god's honest truth).Then I rearranged the face of a total beginner heavyweight since I was beating the other middleweights with my shoulders,(not even throwing a punch), long story short heavyweight college kid hits me with a quick rythm low-blow/headshot, spinning me 360 degrees and nearly breaking my spine and killing me, I managed to beat him but was walking with severe pain and nerve damage for many months (basically a cripple).

you are a 200 plus pound man, built like Ahnold (lucky SOB!!!!) how can racquets not take into account the drastic strength,height and size differences in men and women??? headsizes, flexes, racquet lengths, should all be experiemented with and more customizable than they currently are, building a prototype is only $5,000, and with brilliant folks like Bud, Deuce, retrowag, VS, Kirko, etc. we can make our own blueprints...pls send a snauwaert filled with wmd's or something else (ahem) that can fund our revolution, together we see the light, grpahite Boron peoples collective Movement!!!! unite!!!

KOPT
04-21-2009, 01:41 AM
here are couple of pics
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a7whmh.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/4t60s3.jpg

plasma
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
so strange that the cosmetics of the Taiwan were identical, yet a completely different racquet, that red primer feels better than Anna Kournikovas booty! Too bad they didn't make a st. vincent with modern manuverable china like specs, the st.vincent feel is 100% pure butter