PDA

View Full Version : Arnauld Clement change to babolat

dminh01
03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Cannot belive how many pros now use Babolat Pure Drive.I just saw CLement play with it at gettyimage. Do not know how babolat do it.

gregraven
03-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Yep. He was on the practice courts at the Pacific Life Open yesterday with a Babolat racquet.

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Perhaps, in certain hands, it's a lot better than people here give it credit for, perhaps, at their level they are able to get something out of it that we cant.

I also noticed that Wayne Black was using it at the Aus Open during the mens doubles final. Seems that quite a few players who used to use Prince, especially a POG or Chang have gone to the Babolat.

Of course, they might just pay better than other firms, notably Prince.

Astennix
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
It's so weird this Arnaud Clement change...going from a Head PT 630 w/gut to a Babolat Pure Drive.?!?! Is like comparing oranges and apples. I guess the only reason is that he needs more power and MUCH less feel from his frames.

david aames
03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Or that he lost his sponsorship with Head and started talking with his string sponsor. Remember that the guy has been playing satellites last year...

That being said, I think that Babolat is doing everything right. Like it or not, they are certainly bringing something to the party.

It's so weird this Arnaud Clement change...going from a Head PT 630 w/gut to a Babolat Pure Drive.?!?! Is like comparing oranges and apples. I guess the only reason is that he needs more power and MUCH less feel from his frames.

david aames
03-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Or they might just be better frames or like the Babolat business ethics better?

Perhaps, in certain hands, it's a lot better than people here give it credit for, perhaps, at their level they are able to get something out of it that we cant.

I also noticed that Wayne Black was using it at the Aus Open during the mens doubles final. Seems that quite a few players who used to use Prince, especially a POG or Chang have gone to the Babolat.

Of course, they might just pay better than other firms, notably Prince.

ollinger
03-11-2005, 09:08 AM
"Babolat is doing everything right," it's noted above. Absolutely. The first time I looked at a PD some years ago and saw the little script on the head that said "lead tape here," the little "think PASS" elsewhere on the frame, the inticate gothic paint on the racquets, and their lively interactive web site with its sound track, it was clear that, product performance notwithstanding, they were going about communicating with the consumer in a way no other manufacturer had considered. It works.
________
The Cliff Condominium (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

foetz
03-11-2005, 09:48 AM
what a shame!
the product should be responsible for it's success and not marketing, website etc.

but this is sadly true for many domains...

andfor
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
what a shame!
the product should be responsible for it's success and not marketing, website etc.

but this is sadly true for many domains...

Foetz with all due respect I think your missing one key element. Some here have stated that "Babolat is doing everything right." Yea they are good marketers. But, and this is a big "BUT" do you really think all those pros would play with their sticks if their rackets were bad?

foetz
03-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Foetz with all due respect I think your missing one key element. Some here have stated that "Babolat is doing everything right." Yea they are good marketers. But, and this is a big "BUT" do you really think all those pros would play with their sticks if their rackets were bad?

no, maybe it was a bit too harsh.
but it's a well known fact that many companies sell the majority due to marketing 'qualities'.

andfor
03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
no, maybe it was a bit too harsh.
but it's a well known fact that many companies sell the majority due to marketing 'qualities'.

I agree. My personal preference and frame of choice is the Yonex RDX 500. Not that I pimp it to everyone but IMHO Yonex and Vokl make superior frames compared to the rest. They obviously do not market as much and are more selective about the pros they sign. All that has something to do with market share.

As for Babolat. You know what their number one marketing tool has been? Roddick. Plain and simple, like it or not. No way on this God's green earth could they have envisioned his success and popularity when they signed him back when he was a 17 year old junior. I guess that's why these companies sign promising juniors just in case they get the next superstar. Kornikova, Sharapova and Agassi are other exapmples of pros who have all helped companies they signed with early on much like Roddick has with Babolat.

Is Donald Young the next superstar? We'll see soon enough?

iscottius
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Babolat pure drive is the most powerful controllable racquet available. It serves huge and is huge off the ground. It does not volley well but most players who use it never make it to net due to the power from the baseline. The Pure control is a little better in the touch feel department but not great.

also keep in mind that these pro's are stringing these racquets at @ 70, the woofer or trampoline is negated at this tension so it is more controllable at 12+ oz & 70lbs Hurricane.

Obviously the racquet performs well on both the wta & atp, and has won majors.

That being said I bought one and didn't like it, It really responded well on all out full swings --first serves & big groundies, but I couldn't slice or volley well with it and felt on less than my biggest cuts the racquet was just average with little feel.

My current Racquet is the yonex Tour 5, with alittle lead it is perfect.

foetz
03-11-2005, 03:27 PM
yeah, i think the babolats are not bad but have nothing special to force a buy.
and it's seems like it's a defined sort of players playing the babolats.

roughly speaking it's not the sort of players with 'player skills' if you know what i mean.

andfor
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
yeah, i think the babolats are not bad but have nothing special to force a buy.
and it's seems like it's a defined sort of players playing the babolats.

roughly speaking it's not the sort of players with 'player skills' if you know what i mean.

I was roughly going to say the same thing in my earlier post but felt I was running on and had to leave the office. Foetz said, "roughly speaking it's not the sort of players with 'player skills' if you know what i mean."

AndrewD
03-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Or they might just be better frames or like the Babolat business ethics better?

I think that first part could be pretty close to the mark David although I dont know anything about their business ethics.

A young (early 20's) guy who coaches at our club changed from Head to Babolat PD because he felt the PD was a much better racquet than those on offer from Head. Now, before anyone protests, that is his opinion but an interesting one because he was getting a better deal through Head (they sponsor most of the coaches here in Oz) but changed regardless.

He made the move from a Head Prestige to the Babolat PD so I guess its somewhat similar to Clement.

david aames
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
No, I don't know what you mean. I've seen Moya playing drop shots to die for with a PD... Nadal's touch isn't too bad either with a variation of the PD. And Wayne Arthurs volleys well enough with a PD+ to be competitive both on the doubles and singles circuits.

andfor
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM
No, I don't know what you mean. I've seen Moya playing drop shots to die for with a PD... Nadal's touch isn't too bad either with a variation of the PD. And Wayne Arthurs volleys well enough with a PD+ to be competitive both on the doubles and singles circuits.

I thought he meant it's the player not the racquet. Maybe I was wrong. Foetz?

Jonas
03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
In the hands of accomplished players these babs can really make the game a lot easier (if you can control the ball)
I wonder what Clement's setup is with his new pd's? He played with a decently hefty frame before-hand.

thomas martinez
03-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Uh most Pure Drive players are not stringing at 70 nor are they using soly poly. Andy is in the 60s, Moya at 28K, Nadal at 24.5K, Arthurs varys on conditions, Clijsters around 27-28k, Escude is around 26 if I remember right. Not a one in the 70s there. Closest I would guess would be Petrova, but then again, she did her princes between 30-32k. Escude uses a hybrid, Arthurs and Clijsters use gut in theirs.

deflori
07-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Seems he dont like the pd anymore...
Now,Clement goes back to his old Head Racket!
Seen today at the daviscup

christo
07-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Uh most Pure Drive players are not stringing at 70 nor are they using soly poly. Andy is in the 60s, Moya at 28K, Nadal at 24.5K, Arthurs varys on conditions, Clijsters around 27-28k, Escude is around 26 if I remember right. Not a one in the 70s there. Closest I would guess would be Petrova, but then again, she did her princes between 30-32k. Escude uses a hybrid, Arthurs and Clijsters use gut in theirs.
Geez, gut in a PD? Must be stringing em at abt 80lbs !

RafaN RichardG
07-16-2005, 11:18 AM

I was about to say the exact same thing- I don't know of any who string in the 70s, stringing past about 58-60 defeats the woofer.

Also roddick strings at 65. And we all know how much power he has.

verdasco67
07-16-2005, 12:15 PM
clement... back to head..

DC = http://www.daviscup.com/interact/gallery.asp?current=4324&txtPlayerSearch=&txtTeamSearch=&sbmStatus=custom&id=122&type=&set=1#mid

verdasco67
07-16-2005, 12:25 PM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c1%7c0%7c2 8%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c53245650%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c0%7c0%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

looks like he only put babolat stencil lines on his head.....maybe babolat only sponsors him strings now?

mach1
07-16-2005, 10:19 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53244955.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=6A88589FEF6FDCAD0E5C17D4CD2D30FBA9C30E9B9B11 4CE8

Nice Haircut...I guess we arent gonna see the bandanas anymore.

Kirko
07-16-2005, 10:30 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53244955.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=6A88589FEF6FDCAD0E5C17D4CD2D30FBA9C30E9B9B11 4CE8

Nice Haircut...I guess we arent gonna see the bandanas anymore.
Your right about the haircut I had to figure who was who for moment.

Xevoius
07-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I string my Aeropro Control up at 72 using poly and feel like I am still benefitting from the Woofer system. I could never string any racquet this tight with poly and still have an arm to play with after a match unless it had the woofer system on it. I feel like it allows the string bed to absorb the shock just enought to not plague me with tennis elbow and arm fatigue.

I recently switched from a POG OS which I was almost forced to play with until I demoed the Aeropro Control. I was suffering from severe elbow crunch while using the Dunlop 200g.

andrew_slattery
07-21-2005, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=david aames] Remember that the guy has been playing satellites last year...

QUOTE]

Actually he played 2 Challengers, not satellites. But then again, J Johannson & G Rusedski played challengers last year also. Pros in the top 100 usually play Challenger events when there are no tournaments on that week (eg in November), or when their scedule doesnt allow them to travel to the other side of the globe for a single week.