PDA

View Full Version : Roger's sweet words.

babbette
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Awwe, Roger. I read this and was like awe, Rog.

Q. Could you talk about your decision to play this event and what was the thinking?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it was always an option for me, you know, since a long time. Finally itís a tournament where, one of the Masters, you donít get entered automatically, so it gives me an opportunity. I always wanted to keep it open in case I got married or something, and see how I felt and stuff.

Q. How is getting married and playing here connected? Forgive me. Is it sort of a honeymoon option?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, I mean, of course I spoke to Mirka. She was completely relaxed about whatever decision I took, you know. I feel like Iíve been on a honeymoon, you know, for the last years, so I donít feel necessarily I need to go somewhere, to a special place, to celebrate with her. Weíve had a lot of nice moments over all those years. We donít feel like we need it necessarily.
And I wouldnít miss, you know, being with you guys (smiling). Itís nice to be here with you guys.

Q. Is this a new start, after what you said when you left Miami, a new beginning?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, well, itís the clay season, you know, starts here. Iíve had good results the last few years here. Itís always exciting to change up your game a little bit and have a different mindset on how the points are being played.
I was the second best clay courter for a long time now. Of course, I hope I can win the big one, you know, the French Open, down the road. Thatís what the focus is here.
But here itís more about getting into the groove, you know, and hopefully winning some matches and playing well.

Q. Were the results in the U.S. Indian Wells and Miami any factor in you deciding to play here?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I could have played, what, two more matches. So itís not a big, big change. So, no, not really.
I mean, I think the year has been better than last year. You know, I played the finals in Australia, the semis in both the Masters Series. Iíve been playing okay. Iíve been playing good, good results. But definitely not playing my best, you know, in the semis of both Masters Series.
Actually, leaves me with hoping that, you know, if my game comes together, you know, the clay court season, Iíll have a good chance of going much further than just playing semis.

Q. Can you describe your moment in tennis and as a human being? How can you describe this moment? Is it unique as a human being and not fantastic like a tennis player?
ROGER FEDERER: What do you mean?

Q. Like a human being, because you got married.
ROGER FEDERER: About me getting married?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, itís a very special moment. I thought it to be a bit more relaxed, you know, because weíve been together for so, so long. Once you get married, thereís not a whole lot that changes. But it definitely does change your mindset, your life.
It was nice sharing the moment with my family, my closest friends. I got very emotional, you know, yet again. So it was very nice. It was just nice to know that, you know, she loves me so much, I love her so much. It was just a very nice day. We had perfect sky, perfect weather. It was just very, very nice.

Q. And like tennis?
ROGER FEDERER: As a tennis player at the moment, I feel good, too. Iíve played better in the past. I know that. But Iíve played much worse, as well.
Like I said, Iím excited that the clay court season starts. I really like being close to home for a change for the next few months. Just makes traveling easier. I like the rallies on clay. I feel fresh.
You know, I always said that, since I took six weeks off after Australia, let my back heal, I felt like I was able to get away from everything, and now Iím ready to attack. Actually, my mind is fresh, which I think is really key, you know, for my game.

Q. Are you considering taking on any extra coaching for the clay court season or doing anything differently from last year?
ROGER FEDERER: No, not for the moment.

Q. You tried with Darren. Things didnít work out. What is the situation, in general, for coaching?
ROGER FEDERER: Nothing new at that front. I havenít spoken to anyone. Iím not planning to speak to anyone really. Itís just me and the clay (smiling).

Q. You said the wedding changes your mindset. What particularly has it changed about your mindset?
ROGER FEDERER: I didnít mean it about tennis. Just, you know, itís nice to be calling Mirka my wife and not my girlfriend. Thatís just a big change for me. Takes maybe a bit of getting used to. So itís good. Iím here, introducing her, This is my wife. It just sounds so much better (smiling). I didnít think it was going to make that big of a change for me, but it does feel great.

Q. Were there any tears on your wedding day emotionally, or just on the tennis?
ROGER FEDERER: A few tears here and there. It was nice (smiling).

Q. Yours or somebody elseís?
ROGER FEDERER: Both.

Q. Did you already decide the name of your son?
ROGER FEDERER: Not yet. You know, weíll see. Thereís quite a few books around that are that thick, so weíll see where it takes us.
But, no, we havenít decided anything yet. Yeah, I have no clue yet right now myself. Thank God we got time left, right, to decide.

Q. When did you and Mirka decide to get married? When did you decide on the date?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, weíve been talking about it for many years now. But last year was kind of busy. All of a sudden it was the Olympics, you know, so it made it difficult to kind of get it organized. So we figured, Letís wait and do it next year. And we always knew that if we do it, we do it pretty quickly, you know, because I didnít want to have a huge wedding.
So thank God the places where we got married were ready, you know, to take us onboard, because it was still Easter Saturday, many things were closed. But they made exceptions for us, which is very nice. And, you know, basically 95% of the people we invited could come, so they changed their schedules around for us.
So everything really worked out really well for us, otherwise we would have waited and done it maybe one month down the road or maybe one year down the road. But everything worked out for this last weekend.

Q. But it was just a few weeks ago that you decided on that day?
ROGER FEDERER: Pretty much, yeah. Things move quickly (smiling).

Q. How difficult was it to keep it secret?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really, you know. I have good friends who keep things quiet, you know. Sure, you try to tell everyone, Please respect the privacy, and everything. But if you want to get married in private, you have to go to Switzerland. They donít actually care over there. They actually want to give you peace and privacy. Thatís why I love being a Swiss and living in Switzerland.

Q. Did you invite any tennis players?
ROGER FEDERER: No. They were playing. No, I didnít invite anybody. It was really just very close friends and family. So it was just really tight the way I was always hoping to have it.

Q. Was it in a church or like a town hall?
ROGER FEDERER: It was in Basel. Thatís all Iím going to tell you, yes (smiling). I felt like it was the right thing to do, so Iím happy to be here.

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/04/14/roger-federer-talks-love-marriage-clay-monte-carlo/

sniff sniff

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
its nice to see this side of fed or read of it i guess

nikdom
04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Finally took a wedding to get Nadal fans to like Roger huh? ;)

rubberduckies
04-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Once again, Federer gives no credit to Rafa.

P_Agony
04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice interview from Roger. I'm wondering if his positive words about the clay season are truly that, or it's just an act to show confidence and deep inside he knows he's in trouble. No coach too in the near future (unless he knows something we don't and he's not saying).

GPB

Sure he did. "I was the second best player on clay." Everybody knows who was Number One. The questions weren't about Rafa, they were about him. He answered them candidly and it was a great interview.

maximo
Seemes like it was a very small wedding, only very close friends and family.

drakulie
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

bdawg
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
lmao!!!!!!!!!!

Rafa introduced them.

Mr. Hokey
04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
It was alright I guess, the crackers could have been better.

VivalaVida
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
ROFL X 20! This is the post of the year. :lol:

GPG
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice words!

I knew that he was really wanting to get married since some months ago

egn
04-14-2009, 12:31 PM

I thought it would have been more...Roger cries about everything thing.

Federer is human...lol that awkward part

Q. Can you describe your moment in tennis and as a human being? How can you describe this moment? Is it unique as a human being and not fantastic like a tennis player?
ROGER FEDERER: What do you mean?

Q. Like a human being, because you got married.
ROGER FEDERER: About me getting married?

Q. Yes.

Even I was like wait what the hell is he asking. It's like wait are you saying Roger is not human and now he is because he got married or are you saying marriage is not fantastic as a tennis player...I was just kind of like scratch my head.

thejoe
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Haha. Great post.

bolo
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

lol. 10 char.

Slaz
04-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Classic and priceless :D

cghipp
04-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Once again, Federer gives no credit to Rafa.I literally laughed out loud at this.

theduh
04-14-2009, 01:22 PM

I don't understand this? why oh why in heavens does Fed need to give Nadal credit? The interview focused more on his recent wedding and NOT tennis! You're being a turd and a troll.

toptalent
04-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe he should consider Rafa as his son's god father. Then the fans can finally stop fighting. Best of both worlds imo.

8PAQ
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM

Good one :)

8PAQ
04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't understand this? why oh why in heavens does Fed need to give Nadal credit? The interview focused more on his recent wedding and NOT tennis! You're being a turd and a troll.

It was a joke dude!

egn
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM

lol it was a joke....wait unless this is a counter joke..oh no i am so confused.

theduh
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
lol it was a joke....wait unless this is a counter joke..oh no i am so confused.

Now guess who can play that game :twisted:

Emelia21
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Am I reading this correct, Mirka and Roger are having a boy? :oops: :cry:

P_Agony
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

He is a troll, but I believe this specific post was just a good laugh, I don't think he was being serious.

theduh
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
He is a troll, but I believe this specific post was just a good laugh, I don't think he was being serious.

Yeah I know. See #23 :)

kimbahpnam
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
lol
Yea man, perfect line, perfect timing.

cucio
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Now guess who can play that game :twisted:

Well, then you got bagelled.

Good one, Rubber, made me chuckle. :-D

theduh
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
^^^ Well I don't think so. Anyway I had a good laugh at it too. No harm done.

JeMar
04-14-2009, 04:24 PM

This one was actually pretty funny.

lawrence
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I have good friends who keep things quiet, you know.

I KNEW IT, THEY'RE ON THE FORUMSSSS

Safinator_1
04-14-2009, 04:45 PM

haha classic, im glad most people here still have their sense of humor

roundiesee
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
So they got married on the "spur" of the moment? Very romantic! :) So it's confirmed, they have a boy; wonder what they'll name thier son.....

Radical Shot
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Love it...........

dextor
04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Fantastic, frank interview.

ChanceEncounter
04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
They're naming the son Rafa.

edberg505
04-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Funny!!!

They're naming the son Rafa.

This, not so funny.

mandy01
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Roger's such a sweetheart :oops:

BreakPoint
04-15-2009, 12:36 AM
So they already know their baby is going to be a boy?

jelle v
04-15-2009, 12:40 AM
So they already know their baby is going to be a boy?

Apparently..

mikeler
04-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Apparently..

That is news to me. Hopefully he gets Mirka's nose and Roger's physique.

crazylevity
04-15-2009, 05:03 AM
I'm waiting for gj011 to come here and say "Once again Djokovic gets no respect". :p

SAFINATORZ
04-15-2009, 06:22 AM

LOL u guys are awful!

cknobman
04-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Waiting for Nadal_Freak to come in here and call Fed an arrogant loser that is full of himself for saying he was "the second best on clay".

DarthFed
04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
That is news to me. Hopefully he gets Mirka's nose and Roger's physique.

I can see it now:

Roger Rafael-Petros-Rod Federer

With nicknames such as:

The real Baby Fed
The Swiss Prince
the Mini-Fedex

For that is good i hope the lad stays away from tennis..too much expectations on him if he takes up the sport..i can see it now

Gilbert- Hey how do think Roger JR would match up with 2009 Rafa
Cahill- Well brad i think it would be an epic match up but he doesn't quite have his dads forehands
Gilbert- You heard it here first 09 RAFA in straights