PDA

View Full Version : Why is Santoro playing the Soweto Open challenger instead of Monte Carlo?

simi
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM
When the draws were made, Fabrice's ranking was 52 while Eduardo Schwank was 56. According to the Monte Carlo draw sheet, the last direct entry was Eduardo. Why would Santoro travel to South Africa to play in a challenger when he could get direct entry into a master's event? Maybe he wants to see some other parts of the world before he retires at the end of the year.

woodrow1029
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
When the draws were made, Fabrice's ranking was 52 while Eduardo Schwank was 56. According to the Monte Carlo draw sheet, the last direct entry was Eduardo. Why would Santoro travel to South Africa to play in a challenger when he could get direct entry into a master's event? Maybe he wants to see some other parts of the world before he retires at the end of the year.
What was Santoro's ranking at the entry deadline date?

simi
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM

woodrow1029
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
and do you know what the cutoff was on the entry deadline date?

vandre
04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
maybe he thought he'd have a better shot at picking up some prize money in a weaker field (a little somethin' somethin' for the retirement nest egg).

just speculation....

simi
04-15-2009, 02:34 PM

It's listed on the draw sheets, at the bottom, next to the seeds. Also, go to the ATP web site, look up the ranking history of each player.

JW10S
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
The deadline for direct entry into an ATP event is 8 weeks out. 8 weeks ago Santoro's ranking was 59--below that of Schwank. At this stage in his career I doubt he wants to toil in the qualies anymore.

mbstriker
04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
i thought he got beat in the qualifiers?

Josherer
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Just read the OP

JW10S
04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
i thought he got beat in the qualifiers?

No, he did not play the qualies...

Fee
04-15-2009, 05:59 PM
The deadline for direct entry into an ATP event is 8 weeks out. 8 weeks ago Santoro's ranking was 59--below that of Schwank. At this stage in his career I doubt he wants to toil in the qualies anymore.

It's 6 weeks out, not 8 weeks. The entry deadline was March 16th, and Santoro is not listed on the original entry list or amongst the first few alternates. Monte Carlo is not a mandatory event with automatic entries anymore. If Santoro is not in the original entry list despite being eligible at the time (and he was, he was ranked 51 according to Steve G tennis), then its because he did not want to play there, or he forgot and missed the deadline.

Also, if you lose in qualies on Saturday or Sunday, you cannot play in a Challenger event on Monday. The ATP has a one tournament per week rule and that is not allowed.

woodrow1029
04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
It's 6 weeks out, not 8 weeks. The entry deadline was March 16th, and Santoro is not listed on the original entry list or amongst the first few alternates. Monte Carlo is not a mandatory event with automatic entries anymore. If Santoro is not in the original entry list despite being eligible at the time (and he was, he was ranked 51 according to Steve G tennis), then its because he did not want to play there, or he forgot and missed the deadline.

Also, if you lose in qualies on Saturday or Sunday, you cannot play in a Challenger event on Monday. The ATP has a one tournament per week rule and that is not allowed.
6 weeks would be the 3/3 rankings, not 3/16.

woodrow1029
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Just read the OP
Or you could read the OP where it says when the draw was made, not at the entry deadline.

Fee
04-15-2009, 07:43 PM
6 weeks would be the 3/3 rankings, not 3/16.

hang on, let me double check. I admit I wrote all of that in a hurry (and without logging in to playerzone).

Edit (ignore the other one): The entry deadline is 42 days (as always) but in the Rulebook there is a special note for Monte Carlo:

NOTE: The deadline for the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 - Monte Carlo main
draw is twenty-eight ( 28 ) days prior to the Monday of the tournament week.

So Monte Carlo used the 3/16 rankings (which were actually the 3/9 rankings since 3/16 was the middle Monday of Indian Wells).