PDA

View Full Version : Net sensors!!! Not a fan!!

richied
04-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I just played a match on a court that used a net sensor. I can't say i'm a fan. Sometimes it would 'beep' when there appeared to be no touch. If it did it must have been on a microscopic level: no affect on the serve what so ever.

What are the pro's views on the sensors? I've seen some matches where a great serve on a key point (ace or unreturnable) was denied, even when no one heard a touch except Mr Sensor?

Tennis doesn't need it...just let the umpire call what he see's and hears!

mikeler
04-15-2009, 04:24 AM
I just played a match on a court that used a net sensor. I can't say i'm a fan. Sometimes it would 'beep' when there appeared to be no touch. If it did it must have been on a microscopic level: no affect on the serve what so ever.

What are the pro's views on the sensors? I've seen some matches where a great serve on a key point (ace or unreturnable) was denied, even when no one heard a touch except Mr Sensor?

Tennis doesn't need it...just let the umpire call what he see's and hears!

Get rid of net cords. If the serve goes in the box, then call it good.

Gorecki
04-15-2009, 04:26 AM

or kick the second serve so you dont have so many df!

origmarm
04-15-2009, 04:27 AM
I've only ever had the chance to play once on a court equipped with these. My recollection was that they worked fine. My feeling is that they are as reliable as a human i.e. they may give the odd wrong call but by and large they are right. If you had a person sitting there with their eye on the net judge it like they used to would it be any better?

antisferisi
04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
the also put their finger on it to get vibration

David_Is_Right
04-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Surely a device like this would need some sort of calibration?

autumn_leaf
04-16-2009, 05:44 AM
if it's right it's right. it's the same as the hawkeye, sometimes it's wrong.

the thing that bothers me is if the wind from the ball going by the net, if it's really close, will trigger the sensor to go off.

Geezer Guy
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM

second that.

There aren't a lot of rules I'd change, but this is one for sure.

They play the service lets in D1 college tennis and WTT. Doesn't seem to bother anyone.