PDA

View Full Version : Junior College Recruits

WARPWOODIE
04-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Most big name schools with high profile tennis programs recruit high school seniors who have either high USTA or ITF rankings and/or profile from Tennisrecruting.com. But what is the recruiting opportunities like for those who have played 1-2 years in a Junior College program to these big name schools? Thanks.

alb1
04-15-2009, 08:23 AM
The chance of going from JUCU to one of the top ranked D1 schools is practically non existent, unless the D1 school helped place the player on the JUCO team. Example- top male and female players at Abraham Baldwin Community College are former UGA signees that the NCAA didn't allow in at UGA.
Now the JUCO players that are competitive with them would get attention from the top D1 programs and I suspect they already know who they are. Recently the top male players from Abraham Baldwin, who would be top 10 NJCAA ranked players, having been going to top ranked D2 programs or smaller D1 programs.

WARPWOODIE
04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
The chance of going from JUCU to one of the top ranked D1 schools is practically non existent, unless the D1 school helped place the player on the JUCO team. Example- top male and female players at Abraham Baldwin Community College are former UGA signees that the NCAA didn't allow in at UGA.

I'm assuming this was for academic reasons...maybe a foreign player? So, once they got their grades up, then they had the opportunity to get picked up by D1 school?

Which leads me to ask a follow up question....are the opportunities better in D2 schools for JC players? or another option...to D1 school with a less competetive conference...example D1 Pac 10 conference vs. D1 West Coast Conference (WCC).

alb1
04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Which leads me to ask a follow up question....are the opportunities better in D2 schools for JC players? or another option...to D1 school with a less competetive conference...example D1 Pac 10 conference vs. D1 West Coast Conference (WCC).

It's all relative. The #1 ranked JUCO player will have far better opportunities than the #80 ranked JUCO player. The #80 player can still play D1 or D2 somewhere if he's not concerned about the notoriety of the program, budget of the program, location of the school, scholarship money, etc...

ChiefAce
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure how JUCO schools are these days, but I remember Mario Toledo played JC ball and went on to be top 10 in D1 singles for Tennesee after that.

Vik
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Most JUCO's go D2 if they want to keep playing.
That said, there is a wide range of D1 schools some of which are pretty poor at tennis.

As for recruiting JUCOs, you probably better hope the JUCO coach has some connections to find you a school or do the legwork on your own. Unless you go to a powerhouse JUCO, they don't get noticed much.

duso
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh boy, take a look at Tyler Junior College. This is a program that is highly competitive, and there are players six deep that end up on D1 rosters. Seriously, there are D1 programs that would not want to schedule them.

Coach Carter
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Oh boy, take a look at Tyler Junior College. This is a program that is highly competitive, and there are players six deep that end up on D1 rosters. Seriously, there are D1 programs that would not want to schedule them.

or Laredo Comm College in Texas...heck any JUCO in Texas with tennis would rock many D1 conferences

then again...we have D3's that could compete in D1 conferences ;)