PDA

View Full Version : Player Height vs. serve speed (homework)

Ammo
04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
hi y'all, I'm doing a research assignment in my data management class and I'd realy appreciate if you guys cud offer me sum links to data that suggests that height plays a crucial role in a players serves. No need to explain to me why taller players hav an advantage, I already noe this. I just need links to provide evidence of this.

p.s. I'm aware that a couple poster compiled a list of fastest serves ever, cud sum1 help me find this?

-Thank you so much in advanced

Andres
04-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Seven players have exceeded the speed of 150 mph. Three of them are 6'2'' (Roddick, Dent and Lopez), while the other four are 6'4'' or higher

Isner at 206 cm
Karlovic at 208 cm
Bozoljac at 193 cm
Guccione at 201 cm

Height average for players serving over 150 mph is 195,42 cm, which is roughly 6'5''
The average height for players serving between 140 and 150 mph is 188.53 cm, which is roughly 6'2''.
I have 30 players between 140 and 150 mph, the tallest being Joachim Johansson at 6'6'' and the shortest being Benjamin Becker at 5'10''

Hope that helps :)

Ammo
04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
thanx so much andres, but cud u sumhow gimme a link to that list of fastest serves? i need to show my sources i think lmao. Again, thanx!

GPB
04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
What, why can't your source just be "the guy with the House avatar on TW?"

BeHappy
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Seven players have exceeded the speed of 150 mph. Three of them are 6'2'' (Roddick, Dent and Lopez), while the other four are 6'4'' or higher

Isner at 206 cm
Karlovic at 208 cm
Bozoljac at 193 cm
Guccione at 201 cm

Height average for players serving over 150 mph is 195,42 cm, which is roughly 6'5''
The average height for players serving between 140 and 150 mph is 188.53 cm, which is roughly 6'2''.
I have 30 players between 140 and 150 mph, the tallest being Joachim Johansson at 6'6'' and the shortest being Benjamin Becker at 5'10''

Taylor Dent served 151mph and is under 6 foot 2 inches.

tangerine
04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
hi y'all, I'm doing a research assignment in my data management class and I'd realy appreciate if you guys cud offer me sum links to data that suggests that height plays a crucial role in a players serves. No need to explain to me why taller players hav an advantage, I already noe this. I just need links to provide evidence of this.

p.s. I'm aware that a couple poster compiled a list of fastest serves ever, cud sum1 help me find this?

If you pass in your paper using the same poor grammar, misspellings, and sloppy internet speak as you do here, I'd give you a big fat "F".

Ammo
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
If you pass in your paper using the same poor grammar, misspellings, and sloppy internet speak as you do here, I'd give you a big fat "F".

thanx for the headsup :)

thank you all for the responses.

Andres
04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Taylor Dent served 151mph and is under 6 foot 2 inches.
Taylor Dent actually served 153 mph, but he's 6'2'' according to his ATP profile, his wikipedia and the picture edberg505 posted with him ;)

moonbat
04-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Heh, no doubt. Ammo, why don't you do a google search for your info?

Andres
04-16-2009, 04:43 AM
thanx so much andres, but cud u sumhow gimme a link to that list of fastest serves? i need to show my sources i think lmao. Again, thanx!
There's no link. For the past four years i've been keeping data on an excel worksheet for fastest serves and aces per match, finding correlations with height, weight or dexterity. I don't think a personal research is an accurate source to quote on your paper. I wouldn't mind sending you the worksheet, though.

mental midget
04-16-2009, 04:52 AM

Isner at 206 cm
Karlovic at 208 cm
Bozoljac at 193 cm
Guccione at 201 cm

i think it would serve the OP's purpose to note not just the height of the players, but the times, for a given height, that number's been hit--if roddick at 6'2 has clocked 140 or better, say, 27 times, and someone else at 6'9 has done it twice, it tells a different story than simply plotting a speed to height relationship, which i'm sure is going to be linear.

Ammo
04-16-2009, 06:40 AM
There's no link. For the past four years i've been keeping data on an excel worksheet for fastest serves and aces per match, finding correlations with height, weight or dexterity. I don't think a personal research is an accurate source to quote on your paper. I wouldn't mind sending you the worksheet, though.

that would be amazing if you could. Albert_Truong_863@hotmail.com
Andres you are the GOAT!

Again thank you all for the suggestions and tips.

bjk
04-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Just change the name of the document, hand it in and get an "A" The internet is 1durful

jackson vile
04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Height is not as relavant as reach.

Andres
04-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Height is not as relavant as reach.
Keeping in mind the body is normally symmetric, height is often correlated with reach.

jackson vile
04-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Keeping in mind the body is normally symmetric, height is often correlated with reach.

Really? We are looking for the stats right? Well some people reguardles of being of the same height will have a different max reach from toe to tip of finger, and in fact that is how contact is made during the serve.

Some people even of the same height can have a 6+ reach advantage, that is a huge difference and is one of the reasons a smaller person can serve as fast if not faster than a taller person as they maximize their reach.

Nanshiki
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
People like Isner and Karlovic aren't just freakishly tall, they also have MASSIVE wingspans (read: freakishly long arms), so even though they're only say, 7 or 8 inches taller than Roddick (for example), their arms are probably several inches longer (let's say five). That means they've got an advantage of over a foot on the world's arguably fastest server (he holds the record but they serve faster more consistently), and he hits the ball over nine feet in the air to begin with.

And keep in mind that an inch of clearance at the net is worth about seven inches of service box.

pc1
04-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Interesting assignment. Roscoe Tanner was about six feet tall and he was apparently timed at about 153 miles per hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42STJgl2K4E

slicefox
04-17-2009, 06:26 PM

I think you should do your grammar/spelling homework first.

Worry about physics later.

AAUS
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
height is correlated with reach but some people just have longer arms than average of people who are the same height, in general peoples wingspan is a little longer than their height but at the NBA combine and in boxing where they measure wingspans because a longer reach effectively makes a player "taller" than their standing height allowing them to play bigger you'll see that a lot of the top athletes arms are considerably longer than their height

Derrick Rose who just won Rookie of the Year in the NBA was measured at 6'1.5" at the combine and his wingspan was measured to be 6'8"

slicefox
04-17-2009, 09:03 PM
height is correlated with reach but some people just have longer arms than average of people who are the same height, in general peoples wingspan is a little longer than their height but at the NBA combine and in boxing where they measure wingspans because a longer reach effectively makes a player "taller" than their standing height allowing them to play bigger you'll see that a lot of the top athletes arms are considerably longer than their height

Derrick Rose who just won Rookie of the Year in the NBA was measured at 6'1.5" at the combine and his wingspan was measured to be 6'8"

Yep. Actually in boxing, if you have a long reach your height does not matter much because even if you are shorter you can adapt a different style (lay low and duck when you dodge, like Frazier).

I'm 6'1 and I have 6'6 reach.

jmjmkim
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Not too surprised that height matters. . . . .

tenniko
04-17-2009, 11:26 PM
to OP:

I don't want to sound mean but please do a thorough research on your topic and try to look for data before going on a forum and asking for help. Important part of doing research is how to look for the right data (or generate data), as well as how to analyze and interpret the data. If the class is anything like a college level class, you should have had necessary education to search for it.

And as far as I know, I don't think they keep the records of player's serve speed every single time (maybe personal bests) or if they archive such data. If you had the data, I'm sure you could form a weak correlation between height and serve velocity, but there would be a lot of caveat in your analysis.

Best of luck.