PDA

View Full Version : Safin/Lapentti Match was Torture

tkramer15
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm a Safin fan, and I have to say that I almost wish he would put himself and his fans out of his/our misery. That was the toughest tennis match to watch in my life. Everytime it looked like there was no way he could actually blow the lead or the match, he found a way to do it. Considering the same thing just happened to him in Miami against Monfils, and he's blown similar types of leads in a number of matches in the past few years, I can't see how he can keep going out there.

You could see him thinking about it from the second he lost serve while up 4-0. That's right. He led 4-0 with two breaks, just like he led Monfils 5-2 with two breaks in Miami. Safin had three match points, two with Lapentti serving at 2-5 and another with Lapentti serving at 4-5. Oh yeah, just to add to Safin's miseries, a fan fainted during the 4-5 game, causing a several minute delay. Marat fired his racket into his bench after badly losing serve again to fall behind 6-5. Then, after starting the ensuing game down 0-15 after receiving a point penalty for the racket abuse and an earlier ball abuse, he fell behind 0-40 before somehow rallying to break and force a tiebreak. Lapentti helped him with a double fault and backhand error, but Safin saved the third match point with a great backhand winner.

Somehow, even after escaping from sure defeat, Safin began the tiebreak terribly and fell behind 5-1. Again, it looked like the match would be over in a matter of seconds until out of nowhere he played a series of brilliant points to pull even at 6-6. But at 6-6, after hitting a clutch ace on the previous point, Safin double faulted. Finally, after a long rally, Safin missed a backhand passing shot into the net to lose the breaker and the match. It should be noted that he also served for the first set at 5-4, was broken, and then lost the opening set 8-6 in a tiebreak.

It was undoubtedly the most agonizing match I've ever watched. It was torture. Safin has invented ways to lose matches over the last three years that didn't seem possible. I really cannot see how he can continue to show up at each tournament. Obviously, he has a severe mental block when it comes to closing out matches. I've never heard of a professional, let alone one as talented as he is, losing back-to-back weeks in matches where he led 5-2 with two breaks and 4-0 with two breaks.

He announced that 2009 would be his final year on tour before the season started, but I can't imagine him leaving the tour with these kinds of memories haunting him. I guess it's foolish to believe he could actually get over the hump and string some wins together at this point, but it did happen out of the clear blue last year at Wimbledon. I'll continue to wish that he can somehow settle his inner demons, but I don't know if I can keep watching.

LanceStern
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
That was a very nice match summary, I enjoyed the read.

Sorry to hear about that match, it was just "one of those days" where even a big lead is blown in an instant.

Is he putting in the work to get better, like he said he was going to do? If so, that stinks even more.

I could only imagine how I would feel if Federer managed to lose like that. It would ruin my day

Mungo73
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
haha it was a great match to watch!!!

man i love clay!!

Shaolin
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Wrong section.

I guarantee you are going to ruin this match for someone who TIVO'ed it and was looking forward to watching it after work. Well done OP.

tkramer15
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry. I was venting frustration and immediately went to this section. Initially, I was just going to talk about how I don't know how Safin can keep playing, but then I felt compelled to talk about the ending of the match. I didn't give away the result in the title of the topic. I would hope that people who recorded the match and don't want to know the result wouldn't come to an online forum. If they do, hopefully they won't click on this topic until after they've watched. Again, I apologize. I won't make the mistake again.

120mphBodyServe
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Who thinks Safin is going to retire sooner?

GavinC360
04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I liked the summary too, and I didn't get to Tivo it, thought shaolin has a point

rubberduckies
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
This sucks. I was really looking forward to Safin-Nadal.

Shaolin
04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
OP--good on ya for the apology. At least the result isn't in the title. Seems like every Safin match is torture. The guy has the body of Zeus and the mental maturity of a 7 year old in the cereal isle.

pcpshortbus
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
safin is my favorite player as well, and i was at the monfils match at the sony. i think safin knows that his career is coming to an end (or at least according to what he says it is), so he adds extra pressure on himself when he is trying to close out a match because he realizes he will not be playing professional matches for much longer.

Steve F.
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice summary - plus title gives no indication of who won. I didn't know when I started reading and yeah, was disappointed with the outcome. Brutal. Not the essay though :) - Thanks for venting. Saves me the agony of watching.

imalil2gangsta4u
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
watching that match was like being on the edge of a cliff 100ft up. you keep tilting back and foreward until you finally fall down.

Leelord337
04-15-2009, 02:15 PM
but the match yesterday against hewitt was Amazing

T1000
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
i hate safin. he plays an amazing match to take out hewitt (my fav player) and then plays like to crap to lose

Kobble
04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't know why he just doesn't retire randomly next year or some other year. I know many people like to declare when and where, but that is too much pressure. I would just tell my fans that such and such year is my last certain year, and then play what tournaments you want, and give it up when you feel like it. Unless, you already feel like it and are just trying to be good to your fans.

Satch
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Safin can teach everybody how to borke a racket that's for sure....

split-step
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
To the OP: NICE SUMMARY!!

That was well written and I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Avril_lover7
04-16-2009, 03:34 AM
i felt aweful when he was ahead then lost that way after then ..

he's very unlucky !!!

if only he put his anger in his matches instead of raquets,, he'll be no.1 agean !!!!!!!!!!!

JohnS
04-16-2009, 05:18 AM
LOL, never going to happen but...

What IF...

Safin beats Nadal at the FO and then beat's Federer in the final?

What will be going inside of Safin's, Nadal's, and Federer's head? XD

ty slothrop
04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
OP--good on ya for the apology. At least the result isn't in the title. Seems like every Safin match is torture. The guy has the body of Zeus and the mental maturity of a 7 year old in the cereal isle.

NOrmally I agree, but having watched it myself the OP actually did Safin fans a favor of sparing them from having to watch this match.

My initial thought after the end was the same as the OP's -- how can Safin continue to show up after these types of performances? What's so maddening is that he obviously cares and wants to do well. He has clearly put in the work after several major injuries and gotten back into shape.

tkramer15
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
My initial thought after the end was the same as the OP's -- how can Safin continue to show up after these types of performances? What's so maddening is that he obviously cares and wants to do well. He has clearly put in the work after several major injuries and gotten back into shape.

You are exactly right. Safin went out of his way before the season started to say that he wanted to play without pressure since it was going to be his last year on tour. Trouble is, I think he may have actually made it tougher on himself by making that announcement. It is obvious that he really does care and that he badly wants to do well, but he's got a serious mental block when it comes to closing out sets and matches. He's struggled with that for the last few years, but just recently it has gotten much much worse. Safin does look to be in very good shape. He's hitting the ball much better than in the past couple of years, but none of that matters if he can't figure out a way to overcome what has become an almost scary affinity for coughing up huge leads.

Melissa
04-16-2009, 06:08 PM

~~GiGGle~~

Avril_lover7
04-17-2009, 12:21 AM
LOL, never going to happen but...

What IF...

Safin beats Nadal at the FO and then beat's Federer in the final?

What will be going inside of Safin's, Nadal's, and Federer's head? XD

lol,
i wz jst kiddin,,
but who knows ??! :) maybe he could come up with something this year ,,
as we seen him reach wimbeldon SF 2008 .. :)

i can tell u what will be going on in their minds : :)

Nadal:
bfffffff, now whom should i becareful of??! rog or marat!

lol

Federer:
i'm almost getting rid of Nadal's rivalry, now here we go again with Safin!!!

Safin:
hehe, i beat the top 2 of the world without breaking a raquet,, i won't retire this year !! :)

LOL ..

tenniko
04-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I just can't watch Safin anymore if he keeps this up. He is my favorite player and the most entertaining to watch, but I feel like I'm getting more gray hair every time I watch him play...

Safinator_1
04-18-2009, 12:48 AM
I just can't watch Safin anymore if he keeps this up. He is my favorite player and the most entertaining to watch, but I feel like I'm getting more gray hair every time I watch him play...

Heh thats nothing i lose my hy hair everytime i watch Safin play and choke like he did

Ocean Drive
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Wrong section.

I guarantee you are going to ruin this match for someone who TIVO'ed it and was looking forward to watching it after work. Well done OP.

If they hadn't seen the match and didn't want to hear about it then they wouldn't click on this thread.

The match was nothing short of disgusting, watching a great champion, like Safin, struggling his way to the loss, in typical Safin fashion, was almost unbearable. I knew the third set was never going to be easy. Marat is just not the player he was prior to 2005, before the injury. Safin was always one of the most confident and fearless players on tour, yet lacklustre at times. He does not have the belief he once did, simply because he doesn't have the game he once did. He doesn't move as well as he did, his forehand is a much weaker and less reliable shot and he has no confidence. It's a shame that Safin will go out this way, I always thought, if injury free, he would be one of those players still able to play top tennis, aged well into his late 20's and early 30's. But it wasn't to be, but us Safin fans can still reflect on previous great achievements, fans of Lapentti can't exactly say the same.

Great matches like vs Sampras 2000USO and 2002AO, his whole run to the 2004AO final, his triumph in Australia in 05 and his great early start in 98 FO will never leave me, there at too many memories to mention. Mostly all within the space of 4 and a bit years. That's not something you can say about any player, Marat is a human rollercoaster, there are so many twists and turns that keep you gripping on, full of nerves and can feel like torture but you are almost dissapointed when it is all over.

I wouldn't change anything in Marat.